Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Charlie-Ben embrace

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Gotta say, me too.

I think Charlie did too, that's what pushed me over the edge.
    I didn't want to admit that, but now since others are, yea, me too. He put everything he had out there, and he probably knows it might be the last time ever. And just think if this is the launch that leads to another ring. Then we will remember this forever.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    If you had to listen to the fans, writers and anyone else telling you for a week that you sucked, you should be cut, you're too old, your arm is a noodle, etc and you just went out and passed for 276 yards, 1 TD and beat the Ravens in their house you'd be emotional as well. That hug was Charlie giving everyone the finger for the past week of crap he had to listen to for no real reason.

Good for Charlie and for the record I thought the Steelers could win today, but I didn't think they'd score 23 points, good for Charlie, he's a Steeler and darn proud Steeler.

Pappy
    Well said Pappy. Unfortunately, I was one of the fans that had zero faith in Charlie, but fortunately he paid us no mind.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    No charge!!!!
    Thanks dude. That is awesome.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Thanks dude. That is awesome.
    You're welcome, Sir. No sandwich for you, either.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If you had to listen to the fans, writers and anyone else telling you for a week that you sucked, you should be cut, you're too old, your arm is a noodle, etc and you just went out and passed for 276 yards, 1 TD and beat the Ravens in their house you'd be emotional as well. That hug was Charlie giving everyone the finger for the past week of crap he had to listen to for no real reason.

Good for Charlie and for the record I thought the Steelers could win today, but I didn't think they'd score 23 points, good for Charlie, he's a Steeler and darn proud Steeler.

Pappy
    To be honest, I was one of the people saying Pgh was stupid to still have him on the team. And to be fair, his play last week was really, really bad, like when he couldn't even throw the ball downfield; I, like most Steeler fans, was like, "Why is he on the team if he can't even throw the ball?" I don't think his embrace was giving the finger to everyone; I think it was more of PURE EMOTION of never quitting, not doubting himself and then pure joy/relief from finally making it to this mountain top after being ripped on all week. I don't think he was giving us the finger; I bet he realized he deserved questioning and this proved that he DID have something to offer in the tank, at least for this one, big time game. The whole thing was amazing.

I said to one of my most ardent Steeler buddies within minutes of the start of the game, "These guys look hungry to me. They are focused and giving 100% today." And that proved to be very true. Just when you want to count this team out, it comes back. Truly amazing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    [youtube]v=yvRh7-KV7WI[/youtube]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvRh7-KV7WI[/url]

Maybe someone can post that on the board?
    That was awesome. Moments like these is why there is no better team to be a fan of than the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    To be honest, I was one of the people saying Pgh was stupid to still have him on the team. And to be fair, his play last week was really, really bad, like when he couldn't even throw the ball downfield; I, like most Steeler fans, was like, "Why is he on the team if he can't even throw the ball?" I don't think his embrace was giving the finger to everyone; I think it was more of PURE EMOTION of never quitting, not doubting himself and then pure joy/relief from finally making it to this mountain top after being ripped on all week. I don't think he was giving us the finger; I bet he realized he deserved questioning and this proved that he DID have something to offer in the tank, at least for this one, big time game. The whole thing was amazing.

I said to one of my most ardent Steeler buddies within minutes of the start of the game, "These guys look hungry to me. They are focused and giving 100% today." And that proved to be very true. Just when you want to count this team out, it comes back. Truly amazing.
    I know he didn't play well last week and no one hated it more than him, but having to listen to all the ridiculous nonsense that was being spewed, because he played poorly was more than anyone should really have to face because they play a game for a living. Batch has been nothing but a great Steeler, great teammate and pretty darn good backup or third string quarterback. He didn't deserve what he got, if he acted and like Jamarcus Russel or Cam Newton or Ryan Leaf or Jeff George then I could see ripping him for a bad game, but not when the guy has been a professional and carries himself the way he has while he's been a Steeler.

I'm more happy for him than I am the Steelers won; he just didn't deserve the beating he took in the media, IMO. He made Steeler Nation proud today.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I know he didn't play well last week and no one hated it more than him, but having to listen to all the ridiculous nonsense that was being spewed, because he played poorly was more than anyone should really have to face because they play a game for a living. Batch has been nothing but a great Steeler, great teammate and pretty darn good backup or third string quarterback. He didn't deserve what he got, if he acted and like Jamarcus Russel or Cam Newton or Ryan Leaf or Jeff George then I could see ripping him for a bad game, but not when the guy has been a professional and carries himself the way he has while he's been a Steeler.

I'm more happy for him than I am the Steelers won; he just didn't deserve the beating he took in the media, IMO. He made Steeler Nation proud today.

Pappy
    I agree completely.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

Apparently, Charlie was playing with a heavy heart today as he lost a long time friend earlier this week.

[url]http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/blog-n-gold[/url]

Anyone who's ever had a dog knows how tough it can be. I'm sure an emotional win like today's game brought it all right back to the surface for him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Charlie keeps Steelers in the hunt

[URL]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Charlie-Batch-Pittsburgh-Steelers-veteran-keeps-team-alive-Baltimore-Ravens-120212[/URL]

A.J. Perze

BALTIMORE
    Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch turns 38 this week, although in the wake of a 23-20 victory over the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday he said he doesn’t expect to do much to mark the occasion.

“It’s on Wednesday, so I’ll be working,” Batch smiled.

Thanks in large part to Batch, who led a 51-yard drive to set up a game-winning Sean Suisham 42-yard field goal as time expired, it won’t just be busy work for the Steelers, either. A week after Batch committed three of Pittsburgh’s eight turnovers in a loss to the Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh exited M&T Bank Stadium with hope (and a 7-5 record).

“A lot of people wrote him off,” Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel said. “Nobody in here did. Charlie has been with this team 11 years and there is a reason for it. They just don’t keep people around just because. He has to prove week in and week out that he should be here. He stepped in before and won. He did it again tonight.”

For much of Sunday, it looked like the Steelers would fall to 0-3 minus starting quarterback Ben Roethsliberger and the Ravens would run their home winning streak to 16 games (including playoffs).

Then came a fumble by Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, forced by Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison and recovered by defensive end Ziggy Hood at the Baltimore 27. Batch, who had been intercepted by Ravens cornerback Ed Reed in the end zone on the Steelers’ previous possession, needed only four plays to find tight end Heath Miller for a 7-yard TD pass to tie the game, 20-20, midway through the fourth quarter.

“We knew he was going to come in and manage the game,” Miller said. “Obviously, he’s been through it all. He’s seen and done everything. We have the upmost confidence in him.”

DOWN THE STRETCH
    The playoffs are around the corner and we have the best images from NFL Week 13.
    Not that the Steelers won’t be happy to get Roethlisberger back. Roethlisberger could return as soon as next Sunday’s game against San Diego.

Batch, while inconsistent early, outplayed Flacco — a quarterback more than a decade his junior — in the second half and finished with 276 yards through the air. Batch was 25 for 36 one touchdown and one interception.

Flacco, who will get his share of the blame for why the Ravens didn’t clinch a playoff berth when given a chance on Sunday, was 16 for 34 for 188 yards with a one touchdown and an interception.

“It’s not surprising at all. Maybe a little,” Reed joked when asked about Batch’s performance.

LET'S GET NUTS!
    NFL fans are a special breed, and they bring their own brand of craziness on game day.

Batch was hardly flawless as he worked behind a reshuffled offensive line. He missed an open Mike Wallace in the end zone late in the first half and had a couple other passes sail on him. Batch also fumbled once, although the Steelers were able to maintain possession.

Granted, Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders didn’t do Batch any favors with a third-quarter fumble. Sanders had just caught a pass across the middle and looked primed for a touchdown when he coughed the ball up untouched, a fumble Reed recovered.

“That was a really tough one,” Batch said. “Emmanuel really took it hard. He felt that if he didn’t drop the ball, it’s probably a 70-yard touchdown.”

Credit the Steelers defense — which lost cornerback Ike Taylor to an ankle injury early in the game — for making Batch’s late-game push possible. Sunday marked the return of five-time All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu, who hadn’t played an entire game since the season opener because of a calf injury.

“I feel great,” Polamalu said. “Thank God I made it through today.”

WHO SETS THE CURVE?
    Check out the FOXiest fans from stadiums across the country and tweet us your photo.
    The Steelers’ playoff hopes did as well. Pittsburgh’s final games come against San Diego, Dallas, Cincinnati and Cleveland with all but one of those games (Dallas) at home.

With any luck, Batch won’t be seen the rest of the season if Roethlisberger gets (and remains) healthy. And since he’s on a one-year deal currently, this could have been the last game of an NFL career that began with the Detroit Lions in 1998.

“I think every game I go out there, I look at it that way,” Batch said.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.