Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Do the Ravens "own" us?

  1. #21
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Every year I expect their defense to take a major step back but they seem to age more gracefully than we do. They seem to have the ability to adjust and be more flexible without their system falling apart.
    If you think the Ravens are playing better defense than we are this year, I don't know what to say. We are first in total defense, they are 24th. We are first in passing defense, they are 23rd. We are fifth in rush defense, they are 26th. Our problems right now have nothing whatsoever to do with defense.

  2. #22
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,995
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Anyone mention Jim/John Harbaugh's a douche?
    That's a given. We should just call them the Massengill brothers. Let's give John a "not so fresh feeling" this Sunday.

  3. #23
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If you think the Ravens are playing better defense than we are this year, I don't know what to say. We are first in total defense, they are 24th. We are first in passing defense, they are 23rd. We are fifth in rush defense, they are 26th. Our problems right now have nothing whatsoever to do with defense.
    The Ravens are 28th in TOP on Offense while we're 2nd. So their D is on the field 5:34 more a game than ours. That 26 spot ranking difference is bigger than the 24 spot difference in D rankings. So you could argue their D is doing a little better given the circumstance. It's probably a wash if their offense could control the ball.

    They're giving up 19.9 pts vs us giving up 19.1. Not that much difference. Yardage doesn't tell the whole story.

  4. #24
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,811
    Ravens are plus 12 in TO's.... The D stinks though... nowhere near as good as previous years but they are doing enough to win. They are pretty much making that 1 play the changes the game, like the punt return vs us.

  5. #25
    Ravens are the better team this year. 9-2 vs. 6-5, they're finding ways to win. They were the better team last year, too. Hopefully, we turn the tide...I'd love to see it begin this Sunday, but I'm so not optimistic about that...

  6. #26
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,526
    Do the Ravens own us?
    No but they have beaten us like a rented mule for the last year or so.....

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The Ravens are 28th in TOP on Offense while we're 2nd. So their D is on the field 5:34 more a game than ours. That 26 spot ranking difference is bigger than the 24 spot difference in D rankings. So you could argue their D is doing a little better given the circumstance. It's probably a wash if their offense could control the ball.

    They're giving up 19.9 pts vs us giving up 19.1. Not that much difference. Yardage doesn't tell the whole story.
    Time of possession isn't necessarily a good correlation...

    The Steelers defense isn't better because our offense hold the ball longer...

    The Steelers defense is better because their 3rd down conversion % is better (34.3% vs 37.9%)

    The Steelers defense is better because their yards per play is better (4.5 vs 5.2)

    The Steelers defense is better because their scoring defense is better (19.1 ppg vs 19.9 ppg)

    The Ravens have a better record because their scoring offense is much better than the Steelers (25.7 ppg vs 21.0 ppg)

    The Steelers have improved over last year despite the last three games...but not enough...

  8. #28
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,147
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If you think the Ravens are playing better defense than we are this year, I don't know what to say. We are first in total defense, they are 24th. We are first in passing defense, they are 23rd. We are fifth in rush defense, they are 26th. Our problems right now have nothing whatsoever to do with defense.
    They won 8 games and we've won 6. They have lost 3 games compared to our 5. So much for rankings. I'll trade their rankings for ours and take the two more wins, what about you?

    To quote the great Mike Tomlin, "we're not interested in style points." All that matters is the "W" and the Ravens are finding a way to get one and we aren't. I could care less about rankings.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-30-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #29
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Time of possession isn't necessarily a good correlation...

    The Steelers defense isn't better because our offense hold the ball longer...

    The Steelers defense is better because their 3rd down conversion % is better (34.3% vs 37.9%)

    The Steelers defense is better because their yards per play is better (4.5 vs 5.2)

    The Steelers defense is better because their scoring defense is better (19.1 ppg vs 19.9 ppg)

    The Ravens have a better record because their scoring offense is much better than the Steelers (25.7 ppg vs 21.0 ppg)

    The Steelers have improved over last year despite the last three games...but not enough...
    Wow all this goes to show is there is not much difference at all between our defenses. The only real difference appears to be the amount of yards given up.

    These are the only three stats that really matter:


    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

    The Steelers defense is better because their scoring defense is better (19.1 ppg vs 19.9 ppg)

    The Steelers defense is better because their 3rd down conversion % is better (34.3% vs 37.9%)

    The Ravens have a better record because their scoring offense is much better than the Steelers (25.7 ppg vs 21.0 ppg)
    The Ravens don't give up many points, 3rd downs, and their offense scores more than we do.

    Bottom line....there is not a lot of meaningful difference between our defenses this year.

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,798
    I don't know if they own us the way we have owned them for so long. We lost three in a row and a safe bet would be, get ready for fourth in a row. When we were kicking their buts I don't remember them having so many injuries as we have. Last seasons opener , we stunk the place up and they owned us that particular day. The second game of the season and this past game of the this season we were having our typical Steelers Raven rival games but, they Ravens are now winning the close ones the way we used to.
    Having said all that, let me see the Ravens continue to beat us and then move on to three Super Bowls as our Steelers had.
    The Ravens have never been as good as our Steelers. They may beat us once in a while or a couple of seasons in a row but, they do it when we are down and they never go to the big dance afterwards.
    We beat the Ravens and then we go to and win Super Bowls afterwards. To me, that's owning the Ravens.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •