Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Mr. Wallace

Backup

User Info Menu

Dear Mr. Wallace

let me get this right.
    You cannot catch the ball in traffic
    If you cannot run past the defender you cannot get open
    you cannot get open if an elite qb is not pulling the trigger.
    You cannot play with any kind of energy
    You cannot be effective against cover 2
    but you do lead a team is ranked near the bottom in red zone scoring in td's

Am I missing something? how much is this suppose to be worth?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

...you arent going to get anything straight of you can't understand the fact that Batch under threw him twice on deep balls, several times threw behind him, and also under threw him in the flat/sidelines a few times. But hey...hate all you want. When your QB throws a blistering 19 MPH and it is a wobbling duck that dies have way to you what do you expect?

Funny, I saw Mike Wallace get behind the secondary twice today. Any halfway descent QB has two TD's on those. But it's all Wallace's fault.

Mike Wallace was a 3rd round pick from a not so major University What I see is a player who has gone way beyond the original expectations for him.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

its a waste of time dub.

wallace will be blamed for every steeler loss from here on out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    ...you arent going to get anything straight of you can't understand the fact that Batch under threw him twice on deep balls, several times threw behind him, and also under threw him in the flat/sidelines a few times. But hey...hate all you want. When your QB throws a blistering 19 MPH and it is a wobbling duck that dies have way to you what do you expect?

Funny, I saw Mike Wallace get behind the secondary twice today. Any halfway descent QB has two TD's on those. But it's all Wallace's fault.

Mike Wallace was a 3rd round pick from a not so major University What I see is a player who has gone way beyond the original expectations for him.
    On both of the underthrows, Wally got his head around and saw the ball in the air and kept running. Maybe he's so fast he can't adjust? Lots of WRs can adjust and do. Or they at least make an attempt.

Charlie underthrew Plax in the endzone and Plax had no chance at the ball, but he fought and flailed to draw PI and set up a TD. That's all we need from Wally. Just try to come back and even if you don't have a chance at the ball go for the PI. I think it was the second one that the DB saw the ball after Wally and he was able to adjust even though he was chasing.

It is what it is. Adjusting to the ball in the air isn't Wally's thing. He's kinda like the Ike Taylor of WRs. A great athlete. Supremely talented. But a little lost when the ball's in the air. He does a lot of things well but isn't perfect.

And I do think everyone would overlook his imperfections if he looked like he was trying every play. I do think he tries on every play he thinks he can make an impact. But on the ones he doesn't, he doesn't.

Is it frustration? A lack of confidence? I dunno.

Last week he was blocking his tail off. Sometimes he does. Sometimes he doesn't. I can't always figure out Wally.

Backup

User Info Menu

see guys that's the thing about the long bomb and Wallace. if he is not completely open, chances are he wont come down with it. He will not take it away from anyone, he does not fight for it, he wont jump for it, and he rarely adjusts if its not perfect. yes the ball was under thrown, Batch at this point in his career has no chance of really getting it out there so basically that took Wallace out the game. So what good is having an elite wide receiver that is only elite at one thing.
    I am not hating on him, just saying that his effort if it aint easy isn't worth a wooden nickel.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yea today was not Mike's fault, not even close. I also think he handled himself in a very professional manner in the post game interview where he was being asked a LOAD of really fvcking dumb questions. I don't think Mike Wallace is without heart, I just think things have been a little different and he's been passed in the pecking order. I also think that his down year and a dose of "reality" will bring his asking price down and he'll remain a Steeler. We're going to see some big cuts again this coming offseason and the money will be there to sign a Brown like deal. If and when Ben returns healthy I think he'll reaffirm his position in the good graces of Steeler Nation.

Legend

User Info Menu

At this point I'd like to keep Wallace, but it doesn't look good. The Steelers cap space is a dire situation and fitting a 8, 9 or 10 million dollar contract under the cap will be difficult. And, Wallace's best friend is making a case for a nice contract in the off season. If I had to pick between Wallace and Lewis I'd pay Lewis and go looking for another WR in the draft. Colleges are churning out WRs that can contribute in the NFL at a high rate, because of the pass happy rules. Corner backs on the other hand are difficult to find, groom and get into the lineup.

I'd like to keep both, but given a choice I'd take Lewis right now, he's playing lights out football.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tomlin blasted Wallace in his post game interview saying he gave up on a play....I guess Tomlin doesn't understand how awesome Wallace is either...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Tomlin blasted Wallace in his post game interview saying he gave up on a play....I guess Tomlin doesn't understand how awesome Wallace is either...
    Good... b/c Wallace is an ALL or Nothing type of guy. He would rather try to maintain his extra step on an underthrown ball than to try to keep the defender from making a play on the ball. You can't expect a QB to have his deep timing down after 1 week of playing.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

On the first underthrow that hit Ward in the back of the head if Wallace just moves towards the ball Ward is going to run over him and it is a pass interference call because Ward never looked for the ball. He has to attack those balls and make those kind of smart moves if he ever really wants to be among the best.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-25-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"