Thread: Maurkice Pouncey could move to guard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Maurkice Pouncey could move to guard

Maurkice Pouncey could move to guard
    Posted by Darin Gantt on November 29, 2012, 8:41 AM EST

If you put any stock in fan voting for the Pro Bowl (be careful), Maurkice Pouncey is the best center in the AFC.

But he might be starting at guard for the Steelers this weekend, because of all their injuries on the offensive line.

“Whatever is best for the team,” Pouncey said, via Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Pouncey’s move is pending the condition of left guard Willie Colon, who didn’t practice Wednesday with a sore knee. Coupled with Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert, it’s a group as banged up as the quarterbacks they protect.

If he does slide outside, Doug Legursky would snap, after starting at guard last week. But Legursky admits he’s better in the middle.

“I think it is no secret around the league or around this locker room that I am a better center than I am a guard,” Legursky said. “I know personally that I am more natural there.”

But Pouncey hasn’t played guard since his freshman year in college, when he had 11 starts before moving to center for his final two years in school.

“I think he would be very efficient at left guard if he is plugged in,” right guard Ramon Foster said. “What is going to be the toughest adjustment for him is using his hands and how to set guys. At guard, you have more one-on-ones and are by yourself. It will be something he will have to get used to.”

Coupled with rookie Kelvin Beachum at right tackle, and they have the potential for three different starters from a week ago, which may be enough to keep quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the sidelines until he’s fully healed.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/29/maurkice-pouncey-could-move-to-guard/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey works at guard in practice
    Posted by Teresa Varley on November 28, 2012 – 10:19 pm

There could be a major change on the Steelers’ offensive line on Sunday against the Ravens after center Maurkice Pouncey worked at left guard in practice, while Willie Colon sat out still bothered by his knee.

“If Willie Colon doesn’t play, I will play guard,” said Pouncey, who hasn’t practiced at the position since training camp of his rookie season. “I am glad Coach (Mike) Tomlin put us in pads today. It gave me the opportunity to go out there and get my technique down and feel the physicality of it. I got to see the different looks at guard than I do at center.”

There has been a rash of injuries on the line recently, including tackle Mike Adams who already has been ruled out this week. Pouncey knows if one man goes down, others have to just step up their game.

“We have some injuries and it’s different but we have to keep fighting,” said Pouncey. “We have to be professional about it. We have to get better in practice.”

If Pouncey were to move to guard, Doug Legursky would start at center.

“I think it is no secret around the league or around this locker room that I am a better center than I am a guard,” said Legursky. “I know personally that I am more natural there.”
    [URL]http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/28/pouncey-works-at-guard-in-practice/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, Bronko is absolutely right...he is definitely a better center than a guard...no question about that.

If Colon can't go, and they make this Pouncey-Legs switch, that would give us:

Starks-Pouncey-Legursky-Foster-Beachum

Adams has already been ruled out, and I am on record as preferring to move Foster to RT and play DeCastro at RG rather than playing Beachum at RT. I would prefer this lineup instead:

Starks-Pouncey-Legursky-DeCastro-Foster

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    This is my preferred lineup too. Glad Mikey's starting to listen to the crap I've been spewing about Bronko at C and Pouncey at LG. With DD back, he's gonna have to consider Foster is more suited to play T.

Legend

User Info Menu

That gives us exactly one Olinemen playing at the same position from one week to the next. Man, is that a tough way to go, but anything that keeps Beachum off the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    That gives us exactly one Olinemen playing at the same position from one week to the next. Man, is that a tough way to go, but anything that keeps Beachum off the field.
    And that one guy who would be in the same position (Starks) didn't practice yesterday either. Imagine if Starks can't go either. Then what? Foster-Pouncey-Legursky-DeCastro-Beachum? Yikes.

Roethlisberger limited, Brown and Polamalu practice fully
    Posted by Josh Alper on November 28, 2012, 5:25 PM EST

Let this week’s round of speculation about Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s status begin.

Roethlisberger was a limited participant at practice for the Steelers on Wednesday, a day after coach Mike Tomlin said that he was leaving the door open for the quarterback’s return against the Ravens this week. Roethlisberger’s return was still considered unlikely at that time, but Tomlin also said that Roethlisberger would have to show him he’s capable of playing before he can return. Practicing is as good a way as any to accomplish that.

If Roethlisberger does play, it looks like he’ll have wide receiver Antonio Brown running out under his passes. Brown practiced fully for the Steelers on Wednesday, which sets him on the track toward playing against Baltimore. Safety Troy Polamalu also practiced fully after returning to the field in limited fashion last Friday.

The news wasn’t all good on the injury front. Tackle Mike Adams, guard Willie Colon, tackle Max Starks, linebacker LaMarr Woodley and quarterback Byron Leftwich all missed practice for the Steelers. With all of the injuries on the offensive line, the Steelers are getting first-round pick David DeCastro back at the right time.

Baltimore was without tight end Ed Dickson, wide receiver Jacoby Jones and linebacker Dannell Ellerbee on Wednesday while wide receiver Torrey Smith and safeties Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard were limited.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/28/roethlisberger-limited-brown-and-polamalu-practice-fully/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

And that one guy who would be in the same position (Starks) didn't practice yesterday either. Imagine if Starks can't go either. Then what? Foster-Pouncey-Legursky-DeCastro-Beachum? Yikes.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/28/roethlisberger-limited-brown-and-polamalu-practice-fully/[/URL]
    I hear ya Ruthless, but I'm hoping that this is more of a veteran Wednesday off than it is a serious concern......keep your fingers crossed.

Backup

User Info Menu

937 the fan said that Starks just had a vet day off and
    Should return to practice today. I also predict Decastro
    will start at RG this week when all is said and done

Legend

User Info Menu

This would be my preference as well. I worry about Foster at RT, but don't think he could be worse than Beachum, and I'd much rather have DD playing.

Legend

User Info Menu

this would be a great move... Legs is a much better C than Guard. This may be a stretch but I don't see much of a difference when Legs is at center and Pouncey is at center.