Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (MLB) Rolando McClain to be released by Raiders.. would you want him?

Starter

User Info Menu

(MLB) Rolando McClain to be released by Raiders.. would you want him?

[URL]http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8688668&wjb[/URL]

Oakland Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain has been informed by the team that he will be released on Thursday, according to a source.

McClain, the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft, was held out of practice Wednesday because of an undisclosed team-related issue.

Coach Dennis Allen would give no more information about why he held McClain out. Allen said he did not know if McClain would practice Thursday.

McClain reportedly wrote on his Facebook page he no longer was a Raider, then deleted the post.

McClain has struggled under Oakland's new coaching staff, and has had his playing time sharply reduced in recent weeks. McClain's best year with the Raiders came in 2011, when he registered 99 tackles and five sacks. Information from senior NFL writer John Clayton and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd grab him but I doubt we have the cap space to make that happen. If he is waived he will likely get grabbed by a team with a worse record before we would even have a chance to put in a waiver claim.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I suppose it's too late in the season to do a trade?

Rookie

User Info Menu

He wasn't placed on the waiver wire...

This season, it would be easy for any team to add him to the roster off of waivers with a salary of $970K (probably around $300K for the remainder of the season)...next season, his salary jumps to $4 million...there are apparently problems with conditioning and attitude with McClain...but, then again, that's what they said about Bettis in St. Louis back in the day...

Backup

User Info Menu

Ah hell NO!!!

The dude is garbage, and a criminal...shooting a gun next to someone's head??

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    He wasn't placed on the waiver wire...

This season, it would be easy for any team to add him to the roster off of waivers with a salary of $970K (probably around $300K for the remainder of the season)...next season, his salary jumps to $4 million...there are apparently problems with conditioning and attitude with McClain...but, then again, that's what they said about Bettis in St. Louis back in the day...

Yeah... why not. I mean, if I was on the Raider's, I'd start acting crazy too just to get outta Oakland. lol

Basically, we could save a draft pick and gain solid depth with Rolando and Spence alongside of Timmons.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

McClain is in his 3rd NFL season, but is still only 23 years old. We were interested in Dont'a Hightower in the draft, so getting his ILB teammate at Alabama in 2008-2009 could be an interesting switcheroo. He could be solid vs. the run, but appears to be a liability in coverage (certainly not a 3-down backer type). His skill set is pretty much the polar opposite of Sean Spence. He is only making a base salary of $970,000 this season, so that is not an immediate issue, but then his salary jumps to $4.005 million next season and $5.805 million in 2014, which does not fit into our cap situation at all. Therefore, we won't even think about claiming him off waivers (where you would inherit the remainder of his current contract). The only way we would ever end up with him would be if he passed through waivers unclaimed and then was willing to sign a minimal deal as a free agent. Quite unlikely.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cutting McClain part of Raiders' process

November, 28, 2012
    By Bill Williamson | [URL="http://ESPN.com/"]ESPN.com[/URL]

Rolando McClain was supposed to be different.

He was supposed to break the chain of poor first-round drafting by the Oakland Raiders. Oakland took McClain with the No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 draft. It was well received because McClain was expected to be a sure thing. He was a star on a defense of stars for Nick Saban’s Alabama Crimson Tide.

Many teams wanted him. McClain earned immediate kudos for asking for his playbook as soon as he was drafted. He was going to be the anti-JaMarcus Russell.

It went downhill from there.

McClain was not a good NFL player and it seems like his time is up in Oakland before his third NFL season is over. ESPN’s John Clayton is reporting McClain will be cut Thursday.

The situation became murky Wednesday when McClain missed practice and the team said it was because of a team-related issue. McClain then took to social media, saying he was no longer a Raider.

McClain never lived up to his billing on the field. He was out of shape, slow and often out of position. He didn’t show the instincts expected from a top-10 pick. He was convicted on a gun charge last year, but it was recently overturned on an appeal, according to his attorney.

The new Oakland regime was charged with salvaging McClain’s time in Oakland. He didn’t make improvements and his playing time dwindled in some games. Now, it is over.

McClain will be the 27th player to leave since new general manager Reggie McKenzie took over. Last week, fellow starting linebacker Aaron Curry was cut.

Changes like this show that the Raiders are rebuilding and patience is needed with the new regime. McKenzie is trying to reconstruct a team with a bad salary cap situation and small draft classes. Getting rid of players who didn’t work out like McClain is also part of the process. Perhaps more cuts are on the way.

McClain may be able to salvage his career elsewhere in the right situation. I’m sure some teams will be interested in him. Oakland will hope he is claimed so the rest of his contract is taken on. But that may not be easy. I could see McClain passing through waivers.

Like every NFL team, I think the three other AFC West teams could look at McClain because he can fit in both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. But each team will have to decide if trying to salvage McClain is worth its time.

As for Oakland, newly signed veteran Omar Gaither will likely play at middle linebacker for the time being.

Oakland will look for a middle linebacker in the offseason. One target may be Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o if he is available when Oakland picks in the NFL draft. He is expected to be a top-five pick. Oakland is currently on pace to pick fourth. Te’o is considered a can’t miss prospect.

Sound familiar?

[URL="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/51820/cutting-mcclain-part-of-raiders-cleansing-process"]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...ansing-process[/URL]

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

McClain was the first 1st rounder that I thought Oakland 'hit' on in years. Normally they were looking for some speedster that every other team had as a potential 3rd rounder but they had as 1st round material. I remember McClain was looking good his rookie year. I wonder what happened?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    McClain was the first 1st rounder that I thought Oakland 'hit' on in years. Normally they were looking for some speedster that every other team had as a potential 3rd rounder but they had as 1st round material. I remember McClain was looking good his rookie year. I wonder what happened?
    Maybe he spent the off season with Mike Wallace
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"