Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (MLB) Rolando McClain to be released by Raiders.. would you want him?

Legend

User Info Menu

The league changed. Two-down thumpers aren't nearly as valuable as three-down coverage backers in Goodell's pass-happy NFL. It's odd that Oakland also had Aaron Curry, who was a top 10 ILB bust for Seattle as well, and now they are both young and available.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't mind taking a shot on McClain if he clears waivers and signs a minimum deal. With his salary going forward, I could see him clearing waivers.

For this year, I wouldn't see him as anything more than a special teams option, but going forward, I could see McClain/Spence splitting time next time Timmons. If you can take a look for essentially no cost, I have no objection.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile View Post
    [URL]http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8688668&wjb[/URL]

Oakland Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain has been informed by the team that he will be released on Thursday, according to a source.

McClain, the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft, was held out of practice Wednesday because of an undisclosed team-related issue.

Coach Dennis Allen would give no more information about why he held McClain out. Allen said he did not know if McClain would practice Thursday.

McClain reportedly wrote on his Facebook page he no longer was a Raider, then deleted the post.

McClain has struggled under Oakland's new coaching staff, and has had his playing time sharply reduced in recent weeks. McClain's best year with the Raiders came in 2011, when he registered 99 tackles and five sacks. Information from senior NFL writer John Clayton and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Can he play QB?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Starter

User Info Menu

yeah, he came from 3-4 and oakland converted him to 4-3.... would be better in a natural 3-4 scheme, I presume.. good against the run, hard hitter.. if we can get him cheap.. like mentioned.. i'd be down for it.. him acting like a FOOL was to get cut off that team.. guess he got tired of playing for a loser..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's funny because when they came out of school many would have thought that a LB corps that had both McClain and Curry would be one of the best in the league. There really are no "sure things" coming out of the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    It's funny because when they came out of school many would have thought that a LB corps that had both McClain and Curry would be one of the best in the league. There really are no "sure things" coming out of the draft.

They went to Oakland, that is what happened. Is there really a worse place in the league to go with constant coaching changes and a general bad culture. It will take years for them to undo the damage Al Davis did the past 10 years and reinstill a culture that values performance over appearance.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the lack of good QB play in the SEC is the reason a lot of LB's don't live up to the hype in the NFL. Is this the guy everyone said was a liability in coverage? I don't want that...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think the lack of good QB play in the SEC is the reason a lot of LB's don't live up to the hype in the NFL. Is this the guy everyone said was a liability in coverage? I don't want that...
    Would he be any worse than Foote in coverage? Talent-wise, I think he could be an upgrade in the middle.

On the other hand, if he truly has an attitude problem, we sure don't need that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    They went to Oakland, that is what happened. Is there really a worse place in the league to go with constant coaching changes and a general bad culture. It will take years for them to undo the damage Al Davis did the past 10 years and reinstill a culture that values performance over appearance.
    Aaron Curry was already a bust in Seattle before Oakland claimed him off waivers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks like the Raiders have suspended McClain for 2 games, and aren't releasing him after all (at least not right now).

Raiders suspend Rolando McClain for conduct detrimental to team
    Posted by Michael David Smith on November 30, 2012, 11:03 AM EST

The murky situation surrounding Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain, who said this week that he was done with the team, is starting to come into focus.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that the Raiders have suspended McClain for conduct detrimental to the team. However, Glazer reports that the Raiders are not releasing McClain, who wrote on Facebook after missing practice Wednesday that he was officially done with the team.

There’s no word on how long McClain is suspended for, although other Raiders players told Glazer it’s for more than just this week. At this point it seems unlikely that McClain will play for the Raiders again this year: The team is going nowhere, McClain is not playing well and he clearly isn’t seeing eye to eye with the coaching staff, so it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to bring him back.

The question, then, becomes what happens to McClain going forward. He’s only 23 years old, and he’s talented enough that the Raiders selected him with the eighth overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft and immediately inserted him into their starting lineup, so it’s likely that other teams would be interested in his services in 2013. But he’s been both a disappointment on the field and a troublemaker off the field, so it’s also likely that he has played his last game as a Raider.

UPDATE 11:41 a.m. ET: Raiders coach Dennis Allen says it’s a two-game suspension for McClain.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/30/raiders-suspend-rolando-mcclain-for-conduct-detrimental-to-team/[/URL]