Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Give Yourself Props

Legend

User Info Menu

Give Yourself Props

Time to come clean and give yourself some props for some bad calls you've made when looking at the Steelers. What are your top 5 bad calls where you couldn't have been more wrong? No repeats please.

Bonus points for remember something idiotic someone else said.

Like the Steelers, we fans need to heal our past wounds in preparation for the run to 7.

Flippy Top 5 Bad Calls:

1. Limas Sweed would be a stud WR
    2. Keenan Lewis was mediocre and wouldn't hold down a starting job
    3. Kordell Stewart was good enough to win a SuperBowl
    4. Dirt was a 1st ballot HOFer
    5. Brett Keisel would get 10 sacks when he replaced Kimo

I can think of a lot more for myself. But I'm having a hard time remembering others bad calls. No bonus points for Flippy

Who's next?

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't make bad calls. I'm always right. You fools should realize that by now.

Seriously, though, here are some of my flawed draft thoughts during the Tomlin era...

1. I preferred guys like Amobi Okoye and Adam Carriker in the 2007 draft to guys like Darrelle Revis and Lawrence Timmons (although I did have a full-blown trade-everything-to-get-him man-crush on Calvin Johnson that year, so I was at least right about something that year). I did love the Woodley pick in round 2 (more than the Timmons pick in round 1), but would have also been happy with Dwayne Jarrett there (ugh!) or Ryan Kalil (woo hoo!) instead if we opted to not go LB-LB back-to-back.

2. Among our three 3rd round picks in the 2009 draft, I was most excited about the Kraig Urbik pick, moreso than the Mike Wallace or Keenan Lewis picks.

3. Among recent center prospects, I loved Alex Mack in the 2009 draft and wasn't nearly as excited about Maurkice Pouncey in 2010.

4. I thought that trading up in the 4th round for Daniel Sepulveda in the 2007 draft was a smart move.

5. I thought that trading up in the 4th round for Alameda Ta'Amu in the 2012 draft was a smart move.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kraig Urbik, if I am not mistaken, was the #1 ranked guard in pass blocking last year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I remember the meltdown on the board when the Steelers drafted Spaeth. I didn't know much about him, but the concept of having him and Heath (2 big TE targets) was enough for me to defend the pick and try to see the good in it. He wasn't terrible, and still scores TDs for the Bears, but I expected us to employ the Patriots 2 TE mega scheme even before I knew what it was.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

But there's been so many! How does one choose??

Plenty of Chadman love for Draft Superstars Frank Okam, Taylor Mays, Quan Cosby.

Was unhappy with the Pouncey draft pick.

Who was the #2 SS in Troy's draft? Was it Bob Sanders? Whoever it was, Chadman wanted him over Troy.

Supported Bruce Arians.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Doss! That's who Chadman wanted over Troy.

Great pick.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Mike Doss! That's who Chadman wanted over Troy.

Great pick.
    Don't feel too bad. Cowher wanted a OLineman over Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've thought about this some more and it's hard to remember stupid stuff you used to think. Although in my case most of what I think in the current is fairly goofy too

Legend

User Info Menu

1) I was in favor of selling the farm to pick Gaines Adams in '07. He went fourth overall and would have probably cost at least out top three picks plus #1 in '08. That would have cost us Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth, and Mendenhall. At least if I was going to suggest we give up everything for one player in that draft it should have been AP who went 7th.

2) When everyone was complaining about the Essex pick in the third round in '05, I thought that the team had somehow uncovered a steal and thought he would become a starter for us.

3) I always believed, and still do, that Kordell was as much a victim of the OC carousel that he endured and could have fared much better if he had a play caller who catered better to his strengths. Of course, more than anything he would have been a fantastic WR, but that is another story.

4) Wasn't on board moving up for Troy, especially after we probably would have had our pick of Doss at SS, or Larry Johnson, who the Chiefs took with our pick.

5) Loved the Tim McKyer signing. Now all I see is him falling in the endzone while the receiver makes the easy catch.

Another great thread would be "players who you always defended and now feel vindicated"

Legend

User Info Menu

I was excited about McKyer too. I am now worried about my happiness over Adams and DeCastro. Hmmm
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]