Thread: Mendy demoted, Dwyer starts

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Mike Wallace's stats this season so far:

47 receptions for 572 yards and 6 TDs

Eric Dekker's stats this season so far:

54 receptions for 685 yards and 8 TDs

Mike Wallace shouldn't even be demanding Eric Dekker $ this off-season...
    Wally's putting up numbers like Nate Washington. I remember Nate running by guys all the time. And Nate had suspect hands.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mendenhall has never consistently proven himself. He has had the odd nice game, but never has he shown that he is a first rounder type guy.

- In the '08 draft, most were predicting that Carolina takes Mendy and J Stewart would fall to us.....better scenario.

- Jerry Jones went to his alma mater to draft backup Felix Jones one pick ahead of Mendy.....no difference

- CJ2K was chosen one pick after Mendy.....better scenario

- Had we laid off of RB and gotten caught up in the OT rush we could have drafted Duane Brown (who was projected to go around the third but everyone was jumping on tackles and we needed one) and waited for a RB.....much better scenario, Brown has become a very good OT despite getting schooled by Harrison his rookie year.

- If we draft Brown in the first, letting a top RB fall, the next RB taken was Forte at 44 (but could have fallen to us at #53 in the second if Bears go Mendy), or Ray Rice, who went 2 picks after Limas Sweed.

That being said, I was full on board with the Mendy and Sweed picks at the time, but how things could have worked out had we not gone that way........

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Wally's putting up numbers like Nate Washington. I remember Nate running by guys all the time. And Nate had suspect hands.
    Washington had the exact same defieciencies as Wallace:

1. Couldn't highpoint the ball and outleap defenders
    2. Just average adjusting their routes to the ball in flight
    3. Can't fight defenders for ball or fight through tackles

I think the discussion is pretty much over about whether Wallace deserves a Top 5 WR contract. Even his biggest athletic supporters can't make the case for his season to justify taking the risk of paying him those kind of dollars.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Mendenhall has never consistently proven himself. He has had the odd nice game, but never has he shown that he is a first rounder type guy.

- In the '08 draft, most were predicting that Carolina takes Mendy and J Stewart would fall to us.....better scenario.

- Jerry Jones went to his alma mater to draft backup Felix Jones one pick ahead of Mendy.....no difference

- CJ2K was chosen one pick after Mendy.....better scenario

- Had we laid off of RB and gotten caught up in the OT rush we could have drafted Duane Brown (who was projected to go around the third but everyone was jumping on tackles and we needed one) and waited for a RB.....much better scenario, Brown has become a very good OT despite getting schooled by Harrison his rookie year.

- If we draft Brown in the first, letting a top RB fall, the next RB taken was Forte at 44 (but could have fallen to us at #53 in the second if Bears go Mendy), or Ray Rice, who went 2 picks after Limas Sweed.

That being said, I was full on board with the Mendy and Sweed picks at the time, but how things could have worked out had we not gone that way........
    If I knew the Powerball numbers before last night I wouldn't be chatting with you guys today. Doing "what if" on past drafts is a waste of time
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Washington had the exact same defieciencies as Wallace:

1. Couldn't highpoint the ball and outleap defenders
    2. Just average adjusting their routes to the ball in flight
    3. Can't fight defenders for ball or fight through tackles

I think the discussion is pretty much over about whether Wallace deserves a Top 5 WR contract. Even his biggest athletic supporters can't make the case for his season to justify taking the risk of paying him those kind of dollars.
    I know you don't like Nate Washington, but let me point how far he has exceeded your negative assessments of him. He's still in the league doing well and is Tennessee's leading receiver again this year. Closing in on 5,000 career total yards. You were wrong about this guy. Wallace is not exactly like Nate. I think Nate runs better routes AND makes better adjustments and an overall better effort than Wallace. Wallce has not proven himself to deserve the huge contract he was asking for. I think Wallace is a bigger and more physical player than Nate and even though Nate is fast, Wallce is probably faster. But Wallace seems self-satisfied and not demanding of himself. He does not extend himself much. Washington is a more savvy type receiver. Better hands than you credit him for.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Dwyer looked great against bum Ds like Wash. and Cinn. You could have ridden a tractor without being touched through the holes in those games.

Less than impressed recently. Sledding is getting tougher and he's not doing much. Not sure how he garners the starting role after his recent 9 for 19 rushing with a fumble. How is that worse than the other two? Seems the some to me. Cleveland is not exactly SF.
    Yea, if you are getting rid of Mendi, more on, that's fine. But let's not hail him as any more than he's been; periodically good against bad teams.

But to be honest the OL is so bad right now, that you can't get a feel for any of them. Better bring in some new talent soon.
    And hopefully the OL figures out not to all get hurt by game 10 every year.
    Skins have the 3rd-best rushing D in the NFL. I love how everyone keeps saying he ran on that weak D, yet no one bothers to notice that the Skins have a good rushing D. This is just preposterous. Even Cinci is 17th against the rush - which is average, not horrible. But don't bother to use the facts in your assessment.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If I knew the Powerball numbers before last night I wouldn't be chatting with you guys today. Doing "what if" on past drafts is a waste of time
    No it isn't. It illuminates if they have been drafting well or not. That isn't a waste of time. Don't you want to know if they are doing a good job or not? I do.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Skins have the 3rd-best rushing D in the NFL. I love how everyone keeps saying he ran on that weak D, yet no one bothers to notice that the Skins have a good rushing D. This is just preposterous. Even Cinci is 17th against the rush - which is average, not horrible. But don't bother to use the facts in your assessment.
    The Skins rush defense is 3rd in the league because no one bothers to run on them because their passing defense is so ridiculously horrible. They have faced an NFL-high 462 passes, and an NFL-few 240 rushes against them.

The Skins are 3rd in the NFL in rush defense...they have allowed 981 yards on the ground this season (89.1 per game).

Let's compare them to another team, shall we?

The Ravens are 26th in the NFL in rush defense...they have allowed 1413 yards on the ground this season (128.5 per game).

Obviously, the Skins have a WAY BETTER rush defense than the Ravens, right? After all, they allow nearly 40 YARDS per game less than Baltimore. To even suggest that the 26th ranked Ravens might have a better rush defense than the 3rd ranked Skins defense would be preposterous, right?

Except when you look at the fact that the Ravens defense has faced 351 rushes this season, compared to the Skins paltry 240. Ten extra rushes against you per game explains that nearly 40 yard per game difference. When you look closer, the Ravens are actually slightly better than the Skins (the 26th ranked Raven rush defense allows 4.0 yards per rush, while the 3rd ranked Skins rush defense allows 4.1 yards per rush).

There you go...I bothered to use facts in my assessment.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The Skins rush defense is 3rd in the league because no one bothers to run on them because their passing defense is so ridiculously horrible. They have faced an NFL-high 462 passes, and an NFL-few 240 rushes against them.

The Skins are 3rd in the NFL in rush defense...they have allowed 981 yards on the ground this season (89.1 per game).

Let's compare them to another team, shall we?

The Ravens are 26th in the NFL in rush defense...they have allowed 1413 yards on the ground this season (128.5 per game).

Obviously, the Skins have a WAY BETTER rush defense than the Ravens, right? After all, they allow nearly 40 YARDS per game less than Baltimore. To even suggest that the 26th ranked Ravens might have a better rush defense than the 3rd ranked Skins defense would be preposterous, right?

Except when you look at the fact that the Ravens defense has faced 351 rushes this season, compared to the Skins paltry 240. Ten extra rushes against you per game explains that nearly 40 yard per game difference. When you look closer, the Ravens are actually slightly better than the Skins (the 26th ranked Raven rush defense allows 4.0 yards per rush, while the 3rd ranked Skins rush defense allows 4.1 yards per rush).

There you go...I bothered to use facts in my assessment.
    School is in session. Nice analysis RB.