Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: If Ben can't go: You start Batch or Hoyer?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    You guys are actually asking how much worse could it be? There's a lot worse that can happen from the quarterback position, Charlie didn't throw a pick 6. Check down Charlie would be fine with me thank you, I'll take 3 or 4 yards per play, stay out of obvious passing situations and play field position. The defense has Flacco's number and he's going to play as poorly as he did the first go round. Field position, take your shot when its available, run the ball and good special teams play and the Steelers can steal the game. They can't get behind or put Batch in obvious passing situations and if he is in those situations then run the ball. A punt will be a positive play for the Steelers this weekend.

Pappy
    That is the fundamental problem. He WILL be put in obvious passing downs.

And a punt being a positive playing isn't playing to win. We'll need to score and there is no indication that we'll be able to sustain drives in order to make that happen.

For the record, I've always been a Batch fan. With that being said, it's time to move on. He just can't make the throws anymore.

Wait and see. The Ravens will stack the line with 8 defenders and defend the short passes all game. When it's 3rd and long they will send the house at Charlie. They will basically bait Charlie to throw the ball downfield. Wouldn't you? He'll take a lot of hits, sacks and probably a few INTs. I honestly have a hunch that Batch could get injured. The Ravens defensive gameplan will be as simple as that. It could get ugly for the Steelers.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

If I were the FO I'd go sign Jeff George or someone right now, because SASF Vegas odds say Batch isn't making through the game if he starts.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch, and Jeff George all have birthdays coming up soon in December or January.

Leftwich turns 33, Batch turns 38, and George turns 45.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think IF AB is able to play Batch can win. It really looks like this offense needs 2 quick type WR's. Sanders played well but I don't think he is as good as AB. But IF Ben can't go or AB can't go. F it and start the new guy. Lets see what he has. Dixon almost beat the ravens once. Like every one on here the Ravens know what Batch can do (not much). But do they know what Hoyer can do? If the O-line looks and plays the same as the Browns game it won't matter and Batch will get hurt and everyone will get to see Hoyer. Depending on how healthy Ben really is and if he starts he might not finish this game. The Ravens will be bringing the house!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    That is the fundamental problem. He WILL be put in obvious passing downs.

And a punt being a positive playing isn't playing to win. We'll need to score and there is no indication that we'll be able to sustain drives in order to make that happen.

For the record, I've always been a Batch fan. With that being said, it's time to move on. He just can't make the throws anymore.

Wait and see. The Ravens will stack the line with 8 defenders and defend the short passes all game. When it's 3rd and long they will send the house at Charlie. They will basically bait Charlie to throw the ball downfield. Wouldn't you? He'll take a lot of hits, sacks and probably a few INTs. I honestly have a hunch that Batch could get injured. The Ravens defensive gameplan will be as simple as that. It could get ugly for the Steelers.
    I think playing the field position game with Batch at quarterback is playing to win. It's playing to win by using your best weapon to win the game, the Steeler defense. He can make the throws he needs to make he was 20 for 34 for 199 yards, if it weren't for the picks it probably would have been good enough to win. Batch isn't a long term solution by any means, but the Steelers don't have to fold up camp because Batch has to play. There's a game plan out there (IMO) that can work with Batch at the controls.

I like the Steelers' chances this week simply because the defense is playing well and the the special teams need to not give up a big plays. Suisham and Butler will be the "go yo" guys this weekend if Ben can't play.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

You guys are actually asking how much worse could it be? There's a lot worse that can happen from the quarterback position, Charlie didn't throw a pick 6. Check down Charlie would be fine with me thank you, I'll take 3 or 4 yards per play, stay out of obvious passing situations and play field position. The defense has Flacco's number and he's going to play as poorly as he did the first go round. Field position, take your shot when its available, run the ball and good special teams play and the Steelers can steal the game. They can't get behind or put Batch in obvious passing situations and if he is in those situations then run the ball. A punt will be a positive play for the Steelers this weekend.

Pappy
    So, how would the game plan be different for Hoyer? It wouldn't...

(Again, I realize that Batch will start...this is just hypothetical)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    So, how would the game plan be different for Hoyer? It wouldn't...

(Again, I realize that Batch will start...this is just hypothetical)
    It wouldn't be different, but I have to assume that Batch understands the audible system, that he at least has some chemistry with the receivers and that his knowledge of the playbook is light years ahead of Hoyer. If they give Hoyer a chance I'll support him just as well as I support Batch. I just believe that Batch can win a game for the Steelers, but the Steelers as a whole have to play better than they did this past weekend.

The defense was awesome this past weekend, but if they could have held one of the short TD drives to a FG it would have given a boost to the entire team. There are improvements to be made everywhere for this weekend. The Ravens are one of most flawed 9-2 teams I've seen. Normally, I would be thinking this weekend (9-2 vs 6-5) isn't going to work out well for the Steelers, but based on watching the Ravens the past two weekends the Steelers have a shot with Batch, IMO. Of course, until its officially over I always believe the Steelers will win games and make the playoffs.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    yeah, obviously he's never watched the WHOLE Rocky series!
    If I went by the Rocky series, 'Balboa' is a Roman numeral. Not sure which one, just know it comes after 'V'.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chemistry with the receivers? Pap, you have lost your mind! It was evident Sunday that Batch had Zero chemistry with our WR's. Hopefully Batch just had a bad game and plays better because thats all we can hope for if Ben doesnt play.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Rookie

User Info Menu

It wouldn't be different, but I have to assume that Batch understands the audible system, that he at least has some chemistry with the receivers and that his knowledge of the playbook is light years ahead of Hoyer.
    If the backup QB can't actually execute the game plan, whether due to busted ribs or just not having the arm that he used to, knowledge of the offense is irrelevant...

I'm also hoping Batch just had a bad game (along with every RB)...