Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: A Worild of Difference

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I just can't believe the quickness that some of you are using to throw Harrison out with the trash. He may be a cap casualty, but he still looks to have gas in the tank.
    Earlier this season, several on this board were saying Harrison was through...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Well, how about that?- news is slow getting down here! Semi-glad Ta'amu is on the PS. Not convinced McLendon is anything more than a situational guy, and Chadman disagrees with McLendon outplaying Hampton. Hampton is down on previous years, but he's still ahead of his position rivals. Ta'amu is the one, if his head is on right. Might be a need to sign a mid-range FA to hold that spot after this year until Ta'amu plays well enough to win the spot.

Safety is a massive problem. MASSIVE. Troy is constantly hurt, and Clark is older than Troy. Behind them- Will Allen & Ryan Mundy.

Chadman likes Sanders. Really does. But he isn't an 'impact' WR like Wallace. If the Steelers lose Wallace, they will need that 'break the game open' type WR to replace him- and Brown & Sanders are more your 'move the chains' WR. So if Wallace goes- either a home-run hitting WR or a big target guy like Burress/T.O. will be required to make this offense hum.
    Hampton is quickly becoming a liabilty on defense. Teams trap him on the field. Hampton was getting reached by Mack against the Browns. Reached...That is not a sign of a good NT. Mack is good but I saw Mack reach Hampton and drive him away from the play. I seldom saw combination blocks because he was handled 1 on 1 even when he gapped to the play. Hampton is at best average right now. He gives you a handful of plays that shows the old Hampton. That is only when he is in the game and he looks at the sticks. DC's aren't that stupid & they know enough to give him attention on those plays. Hampton would be best served as a sitautional NT. 3rd & 3 or less or when the defense is playing from behind. Hampton used to be a guy who took a handful of plays off because of his conditioning. Now he is a guy who gives you a handful of plays that make you remember who he used to be.

McClendon is playing better than Hampton. McClendon has push in the pass and gets down the LOS much better. He commands a combination block when he gaps playside. His long arms allows him to play off his blocks & be a factor disengaging when they run outside the tackles. If McClendon had Hampton's snap count, you wouldn't be so high on Hampton.

I agree with you about Ta'amu. If he has no more incidents he will be the future.

I have said S is a need. This draft is heavy in the 2nd-3rd range for S. I don't think there is a real 1st round talent at S. Maybe Reid but if I don't peg him now...I more than likely won't change my mind. Safety is about 1 year out for a starter. Clark is playing at a high level. Troy will be here at least in 2013. Injuries has got a S on the field here alot over the last couple years but the Steelers seem to make due. One in the waiting in this draft. I wouldn't say a 1st though.

OLB is a bigger need if Harrison is gone. I expect he will be. Worilds is coming on but he has to finish strong in 2012 for me to crown him as a future star. This draft looks loaded at pass rushers in the 1st. IF Harrison is cut, that will be one of the top priorities. When Woodley or Harrison has missed...Nobody stood out. When Harrison & Woodley were both on the field this year...Woodley was given attention because Harrison was just average at rushing the QB.

I am a huge fan of Wallace and what he does. I don't want him to go anywhere. I am one who still would like them to franchise him regardless of the struggles this year. Make him play to his potential on the tag. Only would benefit the Steelers. This is something the Steelers could control and avoid creating this need in the draft. As for Sanders, he will be retained in 2013. If Wallace isn't tagged or doesn't sign a long term deal...I'm not to sure the Steelers would go WR in the 1st because of that. The Steelers may look at a WR in rounds 2-4. Their scouting department has been pretty good pegging WR in the mid & late rounds as of late. I don't see a WR early unless he is an underclassman who could be a real gamechanger. I just see too much attention of defense right now.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 12-04-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well it is week 13 and I'm still saying Harrison is through. "Gas in the tank" doesn't equate to $10 mil in 2013. Just saying someone is done isn't disrespecting him. It is the reality of the situation. He will be 35 & making 10 mil. His production doesn't equal his paycheck. His monies are needed to continue to build the core. "Just-Bidness" He will be missed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Well it is week 13 and I'm still saying Harrison is through. "Gas in the tank" doesn't equate to $10 mil in 2013. Just saying someone is done isn't disrespecting him. It is the reality of the situation. He will be 35 & making 10 mil. His production doesn't equal his paycheck. His monies are needed to continue to build the core. "Just-Bidness" He will be missed.
    Harrison isn't playing any better than Worilds and making much, much more money. As JPN said, he isn't earning a $10M paycheck with his play.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Harrison isn't playing any better than Worilds and making much, much more money. As JPN said, he isn't earning a $10M paycheck with his play.
    The season isn't over yet...

Legend

User Info Menu

How far over the Cap are the Steelers next season?

Savings will have to come from somewhere. Harrison, Hampton, Polamalu, Mendenhall... Ike Taylor? Keisel? Foote?

How many of these guys have jobs on the line?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Harrison has really stepped up his game over the last 3 games (he's had a sack in each of them).
    Plus, he has accumulated 24 total tackles in those last 3 games.
    I'm glad to see Worilds showing promise as a pass rusher, but for comparison's sake, Worilds has 23 total tackles all season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Harrison-Cut before June 1st. (5 mil savings in 2013)

Hampton-gone (No current contract for 2013)

Polamalu-When healthy, still plays at high level. He will be one who retructures his base to bonus to free up money. (Pos. 2-3 mil in 2013)

Mendy- If he is smart, he signs a 1 year with the Steelers to increase his value for his next contract or Steelers will get him at a bargain long term. The way that Dwyer is coming on & Mendy in the dog house....I think he is gone.

Taylor- Good canidate to retructure his base to bonus to free up money to lock up Lewis long term. His injury could really open up options as Allen, Brown, & DVD see the field. They may find out they can move on without him. Restructure and gone after 2013. (Pos. 2-3 mil for 2013)

Keisel- 2013 is his last contract year at 4.5 mil. Still playing well.

Foote-No contract for 2013. May be brought back at 1 year vet min & may not make it through camp.

Just in cutting Harrison & restructure the above you could create 9-11 mil.

Other possibilties?

Roethlisberger-BB cap hit in 2013 is 20.5 mil. He is signed through 2015. I expect something to happen to his contract. For example, convert 6 mil of his base in 2013 to bonus and spread over 3 years. That will free up 4 mil for 2013 and put his avg over the last three years at 16.5, 17.8, & 17.4. Puts the Steelers in a pretty good situation after the 2013 season with options on BB.

Miller-Signed through 2014 with a 7.9 mil cap hit each year. Could be a canidate for 1 year extension or converting base. He proved his value.

Woodley & Timmons-One of them will convert base to bonus for 2013. I would assume it will be Woodley in 2013. There is 4-6 mil savings for 2013.

I know people don't like the "dead money" issue but Khan's dealing still creates net cap savings off of cuts while creating dead money. As long as BB is here, they will "mortgage" what they have to into future years to continue to keep people in place. Don't think of it as a bad evaluation of talent & wasted money....It is just a loan on a future cap space to keep players together. The business side of the NFL is a double edge sword. If you draft well you may have to pay many players in a short period to continue to get a return on the investment. It is very clear this league is built on QBs. When you are sitting on a franchise guy you make your run. Does it all catch up to you? It can if you don't continue to draft well. There will come a time here over the next 5 years where the Steelers "torch" will be passed and that $$$$$ that is set aside for the QB & core and money that was "borrowed" on future caps will have to wash each other out. The question is...DO the Steelers draft well and have young players in place to stay competitive during the transition? Looking good at most positions but I see a QB here in the up coming years being the Key to creating that bridge.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 12-05-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Harrison has really stepped up his game over the last 3 games (he's had a sack in each of them).
    I'm glad to see Worilds showing promise as a pass rusher, but for comparison's sake, Worilds has 23 total tackles all season.
    Harrison has been playing better but he isn't anything close to the Harrison that commands attention. If you take away his "splash play" of the strip sack against the Ravens...How noticable has he really been? Not just beating up on him, Woodley & Worilds hasn't been that noticeable either. Give that strip sack to Worilds on Sunday & we are talking about him really coming on. I do remember Worilds pressuring Flacco twice getting inside with a nice spin move and also hanging on Flacco when he got the ball away right before he fell. I also heard Simms say that Harrison has taken Worilds under his wings in the weight room. That is excellent news! The only LB that has been screaming "Look at Me" is Timmons & I commend him for it.

For comparison sake by numbers: Harrison has had 40% more snaps on defense (538 to 324) than Worilds. Harrison has also started 9 games to Worilds 2. The both started out injured & are coming on. By those numbers, Worilds is getting a tackle every 14 snaps & a sack every 65 snaps. Harrison is getting a tackle every 11 snaps & a sack every 134 snaps. Give Worilds 538 snaps & his numbers are 38 tackles & 8 sacks.

So just say Worilds started the last 4 games of the season. The defensive snap average is right around that 60-65 number. Worilds could be at 42 tackles & 10 sacks by the end of week 17. Harrison could be at 71 tackles & 6 sacks by the end of week 17. If you use their numbers on a 16 game season on an 60 defensive snap avg: Worilds totals 69 tackles & 15 sacks. Harrison totals 87 tackles & 7 sacks. Is 87-7 worth 10 mil next year at 35 years old with young talent at other positions needing long term deals? I say absolutely not. I luv Silverback & will miss him! I would pay that kind of coin for a 69-15 every year.

I know I would love to see what Worilds does down the stretch. If he is the future star they thought he could be, that will make OLB a "secondary" priority in the 2013 draft. That would really help out the situation. I'm not sold on Worilds just yet...But I am sold on Harrison only have a max of 8 games left as a Steeler.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    And that is just what shows up in the stat sheet. Harrison has an impact on the whole defense -- Timmons in particular has played much better since Harrison returned.