Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ? Can anyone explain Tomlin's decision to accept the 3rd down holding penalty....

Rookie

User Info Menu

I found it odd but on a side note calling the third timeout before the two minute warning was beyond absurd. Burn your last timeout to save 45 seconds or so and handcuff yourself from challenging. I would take one timeout with two minutes to go over 2:30 to go with no timeouts. You can control the clock better with a timeout left. There is no control of the two minute warning. Coaching today all around was below poor.

Backup

User Info Menu

The defense had a better chance of Scoring than the OFFense. Tomlin was trying to win the game with the best unit he had on the field
    Last edited by chiken; 11-25-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The offense stunk today period. He's hoping with a 3rd and 21 the Browns offense does something really bad and the Steelers get a turnover, or another sack moving them back again, he was trying to give his offense that he knew wasn't sustaining a long drive as short a field as possible.

Getting the ball back with Ben under center, yes it would have been stupid to accept the penalty, but with Batch and the offense today he was trying to help them by taking every yard possible.

Pappy
    Well said, Pappy.

The defense was the better unit today and it wasn't even close. There was a better chance of something positive happening with the D on the field than the O.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Because, Tomlin is not as good a coach as he is made out to be.....

Continues to make bad calls week in week out. And his usual excuse is.. "The standard is the standard" I think, if I here that one more time I'm going
    to throw up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought it was right to accept the penalty. we couldn't move the ball down the field at all and that was a free ten yards. The defense was playing well. Yes, there was a risk of a stupid 5 yard hands to the face automatic first down - but fortunately the browns obliged us by not throwing.

I think by that point in the game and the putrid stench coming from the offense, the game plan was clearly out the window and tomlin was forced to try anything the put the ball closer to the goal line.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought it was obvious why he accepted the penalty...

one less play on offense is one less chance to give the ball back.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mainly it was because our offense couldn't move the ball ten yards. With a decent return we would have almost been in FG position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Because, Tomlin is not as good a coach as he is made out to be.....

Continues to make bad calls week in week out. And his usual excuse is.. "The standard is the standard" I think, if I here that one more time I'm going
    to throw up.
    Have you read any of the explanations in this thread? They're dead on. At the time Tomlin made the call, I was scratching my head for a second and then the obvious dawned on me... Tomlin had ZERO confidence in the offense at that point in the game and complete confidence in the defense. So, he kept the defense on the field for one more play, hoping to give the offense a little better field position. I think he was pretty sure that by taking the penalty, Cleveland wasn't going to do anything but play ultra-conservative with a lead and that gave his defense the chance to pin their ears back and try to make something happen. It did actually give them better field position than they otherwise would've had.

Smart move by Tomlin IMO.

Tomlin makes some questionable decisions here and there but I like his willingness to go with his gut on what's working and what's not. He's made decisions like this in this past, keeping the ball away from the struggling unit as much as possible.
    Last edited by Eich; 11-26-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Have you read any of the explanations in this thread? They're dead on. At the time Tomlin made the call, I was scratching my head for a second and then the obvious dawned on me... Tomlin had ZERO confidence in the offense at that point in the game and complete confidence in the defense. So, he kept the defense on the field for one more play, hoping to give the offense a little better field position. I think he was pretty sure that by taking the penalty, Cleveland wasn't going to do anything but play ultra-conservative with a lead and that gave his defense the chance to pin their ears back and try to make something happen. It did actually give them better field position than they otherwise would've had.

Smart move by Tomlin IMO.

Tomlin makes some questionable decisions here and there but I like his willingness to go with his gut on what's working and what's not. He's made decisions like this in this past, keeping the ball away from the struggling unit as much as possible.
    I doubt Tomlin gives one of the better QB's and offensive teams in the league a 2nd chance under those circumstances. The Browns offense was just inept as the Steelers. The only difference is the Steelers offense gave the Browns more points with all the turnovers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I doubt Tomlin gives one of the better QB's and offensive teams in the league a 2nd chance under those circumstances. The Browns offense was just inept as the Steelers. The only difference is the Steelers offense gave the Browns more points with all the turnovers.

Exactly. This was a good opportunity for Tomlin to give our D a chance to do something to help us win. Our offense needed all the help it could get.