Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ? Can anyone explain Tomlin's decision to accept the 3rd down holding penalty....

Legend

User Info Menu

? Can anyone explain Tomlin's decision to accept the 3rd down holding penalty....

3rd and 21 and the Browns get maybe 12 yards.
    Holding called on the Browns and Tomlin accepts the penalty backing them up and making it 3rd and 31.
    Am I losing it or does this not make any sense?
    So many things could've happened in this scenario giving the Browns and automatic 1st down.
    I'msill shaking my head over this...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    3rd and 21 and the Browns get maybe 12 yards.
    Holding called on the Browns and Tomlin accepts the penalty backing them up and making it 3rd and 31.
    Am I losing it or does this not make any sense?
    So many things could've happened in this scenario giving the Browns and automatic 1st down.
    I'msill shaking my head over this...
    That was the worst call ever. The only thing I can think is he trusted his offense so little today, he thought the extra 10 yards might help in some way?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No.

Is anyone watching the Grey Cup live tonight? They have Gordon Lightfoot on their halftime show.

Legend

User Info Menu

Even the players on the field were confused.
    Did Tomlin think it was 2nd down?
    Also after every penalty he's screaming out "what number,what number?"
    Mike, they just called out the number are you deaf?
    Tomlin seems to make at least 1 mind-boggling decision each week.
    Is he really just a guy who likes to use big words to make himself look bright?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

They must've thinking field position since the offense was having trouble moving the ball. But if you're looking past all the turnovers, penalties & poor QB to rant on Tomlin then you really are missing the point - the players lost this game with their awful play.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

The offense stunk today period. He's hoping with a 3rd and 21 the Browns offense does something really bad and the Steelers get a turnover, or another sack moving them back again, he was trying to give his offense that he knew wasn't sustaining a long drive as short a field as possible.

Getting the ball back with Ben under center, yes it would have been stupid to accept the penalty, but with Batch and the offense today he was trying to help them by taking every yard possible.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    They must've thinking field position since the offense was having trouble moving the ball. But if you're looking past all the turnovers, penalties & poor QB to rant on Tomlin then you really are missing the point - the players lost this game with their awful play.
    Watching that offense led by Batch , he needed all the yards he could get .
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

But if you're looking past all the turnovers, penalties & poor QB to rant on Tomlin then you really are missing the point
    How the hell could anyone look past the pathetic stink on the field today?
    Rant on Tomlin?
    I pointed out a mind boggling decision by a veteran head coach
    You guys are quick to defend Tomlin.
    This is Tomlin's team and right now this team is consistently playing poorly.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agreed with this call. I was hoping the Browns would either do another predictable run and lose more field position with the 10 yards or have their rookie QB throw downfield and force one into coverage. We needed a big play on DEFENSE and I thought it was worth the risk to try to make something happen.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

that was so incredibly stupid to accept that penalty. my 14 year old son says, 'dad, why would he accept that penalty, its fourth down and they have to punt to us. what if we get called for a PI the next play and it gives them an automatic first down'?
    tomlin is a f2cking idiot