Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was the reason why the Steelers cut Jerrod Johnson?

Legend

User Info Menu

We should have kept Johnson but he wouldn't have won today...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    maybe the same reason why no other single NFL team has picked him up yet?
    Come on Hawaiian, you are better than that. You know when Johnson got cut most every team in the NFL had their QB situation set. And regardless that isnt an indicator that a player isnt good nor one that says they can't develop into a solid player. Have you ever heard of QB's named Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia, and Kurt Warner?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    We should have kept Johnson but he wouldn't have won today...
    How do you know this? We lost by 6 points. Had we had a QB who was simply descent we win this game. Just descent. Not great. Just descent.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I was flamed on this board for saying that Lefty was done because he is a china doll. I said it then and say it again - Ben, Batch, Jerrod, in that order.
    I am right there with you by why keep Batch? Batch serves no purpose at all. Every year I advocate the Steelers using a mid to late round pick on a developmental QB and they dont. Or if they do they end up releasing with in a year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Who is saying or ever did say that the Steelers had the best set of backups QB's? Whoever those people are I would suggest you stop listening to them because they are clueless. As long as our #1 QB plays the style he plays a #3 QB is always going to be important. We have seen it two out of the last three years. What does it take for goodness sakes?!!
    ESPN, CBS Sports, SI...all throughout the season - that's why we were favored by most in the last two games. And I'm not saying I agree with keeping both Batch & Byron, both are way too fragile & immobile for my tastes.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    ESPN, CBS Sports, SI...all throughout the season - that's why we were favored by most in the last two games. And I'm not saying I agree with keeping both Batch & Byron, both are way too fragile & immobile for my tastes.

...and not to mention they can't throw the football nor move a team down the field with any kind of success. Funny today Chris Carter on ESPN said Charlie Batch has never been a good QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

If the question is between Leftwich, Batch, and Johnson, I think the answer should have been Jerrod Johnson. And what are you basing your not being impressed with Johnson On? In the small amount of action he had he played very well. He showed a strong, accurate arm, and had some mobility as well as the ability to run.

These numbers are more impressive than they are non-impressive. And his college numbers were pretty good too. He beat out Ryan Tannehill (a number 1 draft pick), twice (2008 and 2009), at Texas A & M.

2012 Pre-season stats for the Steelers

ATT COMP YARDS PCT YDS/ATT TD TD% INT INT% LONG SACK SACK/LOST RATING
    21 14 236 66.7 11.2 2 9.5 0 0.0 57 5 33 136.2
    From what I saw in the preseason of Johnson, he simply was not impressive. I'm still fine with the decision to keep Batch as the third QB this year, which says as much about Johnson as it does Batch.

Notice that the Steelers didn't bring Johnson back, instead opting for Hoyer? Johnson wasn't even one of the options. Shows how the FO evaluated him.

While it sounds good in theory to have a mobile third QB, the reality is that if your third QB is starting, you have a street backup. Remember when Dixon started a few years ago? Same type of game plan - you aren't going to risk letting the #3 get hurt and having to play a #4 with no time in the system.

Legend

User Info Menu

...and not to mention they can't throw the football nor move a team down the field with any kind of success. Funny today Chris Carter on ESPN said Charlie Batch has never been a good QB.
    Most 2nd and 3rd string QB's are going to have a difficult time moving a team down the field with any kind of success. Some team's first teams QB's have issues moving their teams down the field with any kind of success.

Legend

User Info Menu

Its really hard to drive downfield when 3 RB's have 4 fumbles on 12 carries.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    From what I saw in the preseason of Johnson, he simply was not impressive..
    Care to elaborate? What do you base this on? His numbers were solid. His arm strength and accuracy was above average. Please tell us why you weren't impressed.