Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What was the reason why the Steelers cut Jerrod Johnson?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I want to know also, because I thought his performance gave him a roster spot.
    Watch what Nick Foles did in the preseason. He had an impressive preseason (and stinks right now). Johnson simply didn't impress me.

I can't quantify it because I didn't think much of it or of him. But watching him I got the same impression I got watching Omar Jacobs and those types - this guy is not going to be an NFL QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I am right there with you by why keep Batch? Batch serves no purpose at all. Every year I advocate the Steelers using a mid to late round pick on a developmental QB and they dont. Or if they do they end up releasing with in a year.
    Keep Batch because he was there and better than Lefty. If you would rather have had Johnson as two and Batch as three, that's not really an issue IMO. But those two are better than Lefty/Batch.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Administrator

User Info Menu

I thought it was incredibly stupid to not keep Jerrod Johnson.

Why would keep 2 fragile, old backup QBs. Having both Leftwich and Batch is pointless. Keep 1 and let the other go to make room for Johnson. That is what should have been done. The Steelers don't make a whole lot of poor GM decisions but this was one of them.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No one is saying that Jerrod Johnson is the answer or that he would have been great. But he could have been a viable back-up for days like today. As it is right now, and has been for quite some time, the Steelers dont have a viable option as a back up QB. Neither Leftwich nor Batch are going to win any games for the Steelers.

Why not try and develop a guy like Johnson? Who knows, maybe he has the chance to be decent. Leftwich and Batch will never be descent again. They are both horrible and will never get any better than what they are now.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Backup

User Info Menu

Batch doesn't seem like he is physically able to play this game any more. He looked at times like A guy who had never started before. So many missed throws. The Stupid decision to throw to Wallace (during the Drive we needed) who was being double covered (and he threw a freaking punt at that) IF he wasnt throwing over their heads he was short hopping them. Any other Qb could have done what he did.

What in the heck was he doing in practice that gave us confidence that he could come out here and perform in a real game. They say 3rd string quys dont get any snaps, so did we not know how bad he was. (I am thinking we did judging from the Play calling)

So when Ben comes back are we going to keep Batch and Brokewitch and Cut the young guy?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Hell, why not start Hoyer next week against the Ravens?

What's the worst that could happen? 3 INTs?

Sadly, I'm only half kidding...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Hell, why not start Hoyer next week against the Ravens?

What's the worst that could happen? 3 INTs?

Sadly, I'm only half kidding...
    I agree... start Hoyer and draft a QB next year..hell.. he was brad's backup..That is how young guys come in and show you really what they got..

Lefty and Batch need to retire...

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought Leftwich played better than Batch, even with broken ribs. How many INTs did Charlie throw yesterday? Leftwich? (Rollie EYES)
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    No one is saying that Jerrod Johnson is the answer or that he would have been great. But he could have been a viable back-up for days like today. As it is right now, and has been for quite some time, the Steelers dont have a viable option as a back up QB. Neither Leftwich nor Batch are going to win any games for the Steelers.

Why not try and develop a guy like Johnson? Who knows, maybe he has the chance to be decent. Leftwich and Batch will never be descent again. They are both horrible and will never get any better than what they are now.
    I completely agree with the need for a viable backup. I just don't think Johnson was the guy. Who knows - maybe Hoyer can be that guy. Whoever the backup is, I would focus on the #2 more than the #3.