Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Anyone still Questioning Antonio Brown's Value to this Offense?

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,106

    Anyone still Questioning Antonio Brown's Value to this Offense?

    Since AB has been out, the passing game has become ordinary. Consider, fully 65% of the passes AB caught were for 1st downs. Nine of his 42 catches went for > 20 yds. It may surprise some that only 8 of Mike Wallace's catches went for >20yds.

    Since AB has been injured, Mike Wallace and crew have combined for 15 catches, 196 yds in two games. Wallace himself has 7 rec/40 yds, one catch for a 1st down.

    Antonio Brown makes this offense go. AB sustains drives. AB makes plays the other WRs simply don't. Antonio Brown shows his contract is well-deserved. Life without Brown in the offense will continue to be a struggle. Hopefully, Burress can pick up some of the slack.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 11-24-2012 at 03:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    Give me a break!! Antonio Brown is a good receiver/player on this football team, however, he is far from "great". And he too can be replaced. I think the numbers you post have a little more to do with the fact that the teams starting QB has been out the past 1 1/2 games. When Antonio Brown scores touchdowns with some type of regulatory then I think your point might be a little more valid. Right now...Antonio Brown doesn't score touchdowns. Sorry.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Since AB has been out, the passing game has become ordinary. Consider, fully 65% of the passes AB caught were for 1st downs. Nine of his 42 catches went for > 20 yds. It may surprise some that only 8 of Mike Wallace's catches went for >20yds.

    Since AB has been injured, Mike Wallace and crew have combined for 15 catches, 196 yds in two games. Wallace himself has 7 rec/40 yds, one catch for a 1st down.

    Antonio Brown makes this offense go. AB sustains drives. AB makes plays the other WRs simply don't. Antonio Brown shows his contract is well-deserved. Life without Brown in the offense will continue to be a struggle. Hopefully, Burress can pick up some of the slack.
    I agree with you and disagree with Dub in that Brown is a fantastic receiver. Dub's argument that he doesn't score enough touchdowns doesn't really hold water for me as the Steelers have struggled in the redzone and it's simply been the speed of Mike Wallace that's got him in the end zone. If Wallace weren't so incredibly fast his touchdowns would also be down. Brown moves the chains. However in the time frame you mention it's been Byron Leftwich making the throws with a cold Bryon for the rest of the KC game and a injured Bryon against the Ravens. It's not exactly a strong foundation for an argument.

  4. #4
    holy flawed argument. Lol.

    jerry rice and randy moss in theiir prime would have struggled to get catches with leftwich under center. I love AB, but to say he is the reason the offense has been putrid for 6 quarters is laughable. Its the QB that's out that is causing the problem.

    just another attempt by the anti-wallace crowd to push their agenda.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    holy flawed argument. Lol.

    jerry rice and randy moss in theiir prime would have struggled to get catches with leftwich under center. I love AB, but to say he is the reason the offense has been putrid for 6 quarters is laughable. Its the QB that's out that is causing the problem.

    just another attempt by the anti-wallace crowd to push their agenda.
    Yep!! Agreed 100%.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I agree with you and disagree with Dub in that Brown is a fantastic receiver. Dub's argument that he doesn't score enough touchdowns doesn't really hold water for me as the Steelers have struggled in the redzone and it's simply been the speed of Mike Wallace that's got him in the end zone. If Wallace weren't so incredibly fast his touchdowns would also be down. Brown moves the chains. However in the time frame you mention it's been Byron Leftwich making the throws with a cold Bryon for the rest of the KC game and a injured Bryon against the Ravens. It's not exactly a strong foundation for an argument.
    I guess my definition of a "fantastic" receiver is a player who finds the end zone more than 3 times in his entire 3 year career. And who cares how or why Mike Wallace gets into the end zone. He has 21 more times over the same amount of time as Brown.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    And by the way, I do not question Antonio Browns value to this team. I know he is a very valuable asset. He is a good receiver........but far from great or fantastic in my opinion.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,106
    The Steelers have a TE that has as many TDs as Wallace. It's all about scheme and playcalls. Mike Wallace was unable to free up against a KC defense. Mike Wallace was unable to free up against a Baltimore defense. It had nothing to do with who was trying to throw the ball. If a WR is not open, especially one that cannot fight for a ball, a QB will not target him.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I agree with you and disagree with Dub in that Brown is a fantastic receiver. Dub's argument that he doesn't score enough touchdowns doesn't really hold water for me as the Steelers have struggled in the redzone and it's simply been the speed of Mike Wallace that's got him in the end zone. If Wallace weren't so incredibly fast his touchdowns would also be down. Brown moves the chains. However in the time frame you mention it's been Byron Leftwich making the throws with a cold Bryon for the rest of the KC game and a injured Bryon against the Ravens. It's not exactly a strong foundation for an argument.
    Agreed...Brown is a freak.

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,575
    Brown has turned into a vital componant of this offense- of that there is no doubt. But as has been pointed out, the argument made in this thread is very slanted & bypasses the importance of losing the starting QB over that time period.

    Not sure Chadman fully understands why we now seem to have the Pro-Brown team vs the Pro-Wallace team. And in saying that- who is on the Pro-Sanders team? Fact is, the Steelers have 3 very talented WR's. Combined, they should put fear in most defences for years to come. The Steelers have hardly scratched the surface in their respective developments.

    Chadman has tried making the 'value of Wallace' argument a few times. A lot say he simply isn't worth what he's asking for. Some say he's worth every penny because of the TD's. Regardless of your view- what is it worth to the Steelers to have Brown, Wallace & Sanders, going forward? These 3 will provide Ben a WR group more talented than anything he had early in his career. If it costs $9-$10 million or whatever to keep Wallace, isn't it worth it if you provide your #1 player with the best tools to do his job?

    Losing Wallace means replacing Wallace- a young guy who is already very good at his young age. This means drafting another WR that will have similar impact. It's easier, more definate, & possibly cheaper 'long term' to stay with the bird in the hand on this one.

    Wallace's value is simple- he's worth whatever it is that keeps him in Pittsburgh.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •