Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did Charlie Batch Just Lead the Worst Offensive Performance Ever?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I go back to the Maddox led loss against the Texans where we lost in similar fashion...the closest I ever came to damaging my TV.

That said, Batch just didn't have it today & the turnovers really hurt whatever momentum that could've been built. Sanders & Heath had good games on O...Wallace didn't show.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

In a game where the Steelers needed the RBs to take over the game and help Batch out, they scored a giant fail. Haley and Tomlin had no one on offense that they could bank on, sans Sanders and Miller.
    Why send Wallace on deep routes all day, knowing the QB doesn't have the arm strength?

Ironic thing is the Steelers probably would have been better served by switching the QBs in the last two games. Leftwich would have been the better choice in today's game where the Browns have a solid reputation of PIs against all the CBs not named Haden. Throw a bunch of deep balls like the one to Burress and count on the PIs to move the ball. Instead, Batch was used with little effect.

Legend

User Info Menu

Top 5 for sure, maybe top 2 or 3. The drive right before half may save it from the number 1 spot. This offense is PUTRID and hard to watch. It's the worst offense in the NFL right now without Ben. If he doesnt' come back; it's very relaistic for them to lose the last 5, maybe 4 if they don't turn it over in the browns rematch.

Legend

User Info Menu

Batch takes the blame

By Mike Prisuta

CLEVELAND – Coach Mike Tomlin assessed a turnover-plagued, 20-14 loss to the Browns as representative of what the Steelers were capable of on Sunday afternoon at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

“We own it,” Tomlin acknowledged.

Quarterback Charlie Batch thought what transpired belonged mostly to him.

“I put it on my shoulders,” Batch said. “Offensively, we didn’t get it done, and that’s really on my shoulders.”

Batch wound up completing 20-of-34 for 199 yards, with no touchdowns, three interceptions and a passer rating of 38.7 in replacing Byron Leftwich, who the previous week had replaced Ben Roethlisberger.

Batch, in particular, lamented all three of his interceptions – the Steelers also fumbled eight times and lost five of those – and a potential long touchdown pass to wide receiver Mike Wallace that wound up instead bouncing incomplete.

The first interception occurred on third-and-6 from the Steelers’ 19-yard line with 7:10 remaining in the third quarter and the Steelers ahead, 14-13.

“(Cornerback) Sheldon Brown did a good job of under-cutting the pass on the sideline,” Batch said of what was supposed to be an out-route to wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

Interception No. 2 resulted when Batch tried to hit Wallace on a slant on second-and-12 from the Cleveland 30-yard line with 12:06 left in the fourth quarter and the Browns up, 20-14.

“It was a little behind him,” Batch said of a ball that Wallace deflected before it was eventually collected by defensive tackle Billy Winn.

Batch was intercepted for the third time when he tried to find Wallace deep on first-and-10 from the Steelers’ 42-yard line with 3:09 remaining.

“Man-to-man coverage,” Batch explained. “(Cornerback Joe) Hayden did a good job there and then the safety flew over the top. The pass was underthrown; Mike didn’t even have a chance to come back for it. I just can’t leave it short like that.”’

Batch’s day also included an under-throw to Wallace, who had gotten behind safety T.J. Ward, on second-and-6 from the Pittsburgh 19-yard line with 7:18 left in the third quarter.

“I had him deep over the middle,” Batch said. “The back-side safety, he wasn’t even looking at the pass. I think it hit the back of his helmet.

“If I put just a little bit more on it, 3 yards, then that could possibly be a touchdown as opposed to the deflection.”

The challenge now is for Batch and the Steelers to bounce back in advance of this coming Sunday’s visit to Baltimore.

“It’s a long season,” Batch said. “No matter what, you have to keep fighting. Nobody out there right now is going to sit back and look at it to the point of being behind us. We have to make sure we stick together, which we will. We gotta get it together and get it together quickly.

“We still had a chance to win (in Cleveland), that’s the crazy part. With about nine minutes left and with about five minutes left we still had a chance to win the football game.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Batch-takes-the-blame/572e1d91-f92c-4cdc-aee3-9b41dec7630f[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha