Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup Quarterback Situation - Steeler organization to blame

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Backup Quarterback Situation - Steeler organization to blame

exactly...

This team has nobody to blame but themselves for their backup Quarterback situation, and deserve to reap what they sow right now. How or why veterans like Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch were left on this roster without a young, Pro-Style, and potentially effective Quarterback also being groomed behind Big Ben over the last seven seasons is a downright joke. Omar Jacobs? Brian St. Pierre? Tyler Palko? Dennis Dixon? Jerrod Johnson? Troy Smith? These guys were not the answers in the least bit, and should have never been considered viable options in the first place! Sure, the Brian Hoyer signing is nice, but a “too little, too late” move in terms of him doing anything of relevance this season. Even with Hoyer’s addition, I still hope this team can bring in some competition from somewhere else this off-season to really solidify the depth behind Big Ben. Remember, Roethlisberger will be entering his 10th season in 2013, and it would be comforting to have some depth behind him that is not calcifying by the day or at the very least can lead the Offense on a scoring drive or two if they must replace him.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/11/26/my-thoughts-on-the-steelers-garbage-laden-performance-on-sunday/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    exactly...

This team has nobody to blame but themselves for their backup Quarterback situation, and deserve to reap what they sow right now. How or why veterans like Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch were left on this roster without a young, Pro-Style, and potentially effective Quarterback also being groomed behind Big Ben over the last seven seasons is a downright joke. Omar Jacobs? Brian St. Pierre? Tyler Palko? Dennis Dixon? Jerrod Johnson? Troy Smith? These guys were not the answers in the least bit, and should have never been considered viable options in the first place! Sure, the Brian Hoyer signing is nice, but a “too little, too late” move in terms of him doing anything of relevance this season. Even with Hoyer’s addition, I still hope this team can bring in some competition from somewhere else this off-season to really solidify the depth behind Big Ben. Remember, Roethlisberger will be entering his 10th season in 2013, and it would be comforting to have some depth behind him that is not calcifying by the day or at the very least can lead the Offense on a scoring drive or two if they must replace him.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/11/26/my-thoughts-on-the-steelers-garbage-laden-performance-on-sunday/[/URL]
    I have ALWAYS quaked in fear when Lefty took the field, but I suppose it wasn't as obvious a fail to have him as the #2 back up as having Batch as a #3.

Thinking they must have known that Batch had no arm anymore, I agree the FO has to shoulder the blame at least for not having a viable 3rd QB option on the roster. Or at least a young gun who is just as bad, but has the potential to improve. As has been said elsewhere, Batch and Lefty aren't getting younger, and the odds are their best performances might have been their last ones (how crazy is that?).

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Lefty would have been ok if he hadn't hurt his shoulder and ribs in that game...looked like it effected him. With that said, not having a young pro style QB in the wings is inexcuseable. We knew this day was coming...yet didn't prepare?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's easy to blame the organization with 20/20 hindsight. Coming out of training camp many NFL pundits believed that the Steelers backup quarterback situation was as good as it gets in the NFL. The past two weekends have proven differently, there's no way to determine who will or won't perform, but the things you look for in a backup quarterback are experience in game situations and some one that can manage a game successfully. The Steelers believed they had that in Leftwich (a former starter) and Batch (old reliable). You can't assume that a player will get injured, regardless of what we believe as armchair GMs.

The Ravens have Tyrod Taylor as their backup. Is he winning any games if Flacco gets injured? Doubtful How about Bruce Gradkowski or Colt McCoy? Highly unlikely

How Graham Harrell? Exactly, who you say, he backs up Aaron Rogers
    Like McCown? Matt Ryan's backup
    TJ Yates? Doubtful

Every team is in the same place with backup quarterbacks, it's someone that can finish a game and not lose it. If the backup has to play more than two or three games the season is finished for that team. You can't win in the NFL if only 2 of the 3 facets of the game are functioning at an NFL caliber level. Right now would I liked to have had Jerrod Johnson or Hoyer from the beginning? Of course, but coming out of training camp I believed the Steelers to be in a sound position should they need to play a couple games without Ben. Leftwich and Batch have proven otherwise, but there's no way of knowing that in August and September, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

100% agree that betting on a backup to take over a season and bringing home Lombardi #7 is foolish! (Not even Ben did that when he took over for Tommy Gun).

The FO should have known the (in-)capability of our backup situation, even if the talking heads and we Steeler fans erroneously thought we were in a good position.

Taking it one step further, it's almost inconceivable that they DIDN'T know how bad Batch was. So what remains is that they knew, and made a calculated decision that for one reason or another it was better to keep him than get a young buck, or to just run with 2 QBs on the roster.

How much is Batch getting paid ... maybe not much and we're putting those $$ into the contract of our skill players? Does he have incriminating photos of Mr. Rooney "doing the Irish"?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    It's easy to blame the organization with 20/20 hindsight. Coming out of training camp many NFL pundits believed that the Steelers backup quarterback situation was as good as it gets in the NFL. The past two weekends have proven differently, there's no way to determine who will or won't perform, but the things you look for in a backup quarterback are experience in game situations and some one that can manage a game successfully. The Steelers believed they had that in Leftwich (a former starter) and Batch (old reliable). You can't assume that a player will get injured, regardless of what we believe as armchair GMs.

The Ravens have Tyrod Taylor as their backup. Is he winning any games if Flacco gets injured? Doubtful How about Bruce Gradkowski or Colt McCoy? Highly unlikely

How Graham Harrell? Exactly, who you say, he backs up Aaron Rogers
    Like McCown? Matt Ryan's backup
    TJ Yates? Doubtful

Every team is in the same place with backup quarterbacks, it's someone that can finish a game and not lose it. If the backup has to play more than two or three games the season is finished for that team. You can't win in the NFL if only 2 of the 3 facets of the game are functioning at an NFL caliber level. Right now would I liked to have had Jerrod Johnson or Hoyer from the beginning? Of course, but coming out of training camp I believed the Steelers to be in a sound position should they need to play a couple games without Ben. Leftwich and Batch have proven otherwise, but there's no way of knowing that in August and September, IMO.

Pappy
    Sorry Pap, but this fan here was smarter than the pundits on this one and has been calling for us to draft a QB to groom the past 3 drafts....I wanted John Skelton the one year. He seems like he would of been a good backup type QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm not buying it Pappy. It has nothing to do with 20/20 hindsight and more to do with smart planning. If you want to keep one savvy vet...great. But, holding onto Batch who turns like what 89 next week...instead of a young guy to develop makes zero sense. And I'm not buying into all these young guys not having what it takes. I have seen several play very well...Troy Smith and Johnson being two I would rather have than Batch.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think that you can judge Lefty's effectiveness based on his performance last week. After the first drive he was unable to throw due to injury.......

Now, if you want to say that he shouldn't be the backup because he is injury prone, then that is another story.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah, I'm not buying it Pappy. It has nothing to do with 20/20 hindsight and more to do with smart planning. If you want to keep one savvy vet...great. But, holding onto Batch who turns like what 89 next week...instead of a young guy to develop makes zero sense. And I'm not buying into all these young guys not having what it takes. I have seen several play very well...Troy Smith and Johnson being two I would rather have than Batch.
    This is a case of the other guy would be a better option. The facts show differently. Troy Smith or Johnson are not on NFL rosters.
    Several teams don't carry a 3rd QB on the roster. The results would more the likely be the same regardless who came in as the 3rd QB for the Steelers. I don't recall a 3rd string QB coming in playing well, do you?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Sorry Pap, but this fan here was smarter than the pundits on this one and has been calling for us to draft a QB to groom the past 3 drafts....I wanted John Skelton the one year. He seems like he would of been a good backup type QB.
    Unless the Steelers draft a QB to groom in the first round the chances are slim that they will be able to draft a quality backup in the later rounds of the draft. John Skelton played as well as Batch and Leftwich. I don't see the Steelers drafting a QB in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round as long as Ben is the starter.

Bottom line on all of this is that there are not enough quality QB's to go around. It's really that simple.