Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bookends/Dynamic defensive duos!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bookends/Dynamic defensive duos!!

There are a lot of great bookend/defensive duos combinations in college football this year but I think the Florida State combo of Cornellius Carradine and Bjoern Werner are the tops. Combined they have 20 sacks, and 26 TFL's. And the thing about them that really impresses me is they both are so quick off the snap and they have great nonstop motors. Werner has 7 PD's from the DE position. That's J.J. Watt kind of stuff right there. These guys could play 4-3 DE's or 3-4 OLB. Here some other dynamic duos that not necessarily play opposite sides as one another but still have caught my eye this year. Hopefully, maybe one of them may be on the Steelers radar.

Alex Okafor and Jackson Jeffcoat---Texas (before Jeffcoat got hurt)
    Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo---LSU
    Morgan Breslin and Leonard Williams---USC
    Anthony Barr and Cassius Marsh/Damien Holmes---UCLA
    Chase Thomas and Trent Murphy 3-4 OLB's--Stanford
    John Simon and Ryan Shazier DE and OLB--Ohio State (Shazier is a monster and as complete a LB as I have seen in a long time. What can't he do?)
    DaMontre Moore and Sean Porter Texas A & M
    Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree Georgia OLB and ILB---Jones off the edge and Ogletree sideline to sideline
    Dion Jordan and Kiko Alonso---Oregon DE and ILB
    Manti T'eo and Stephon Tuitt Notre Dame ILB and DE

And one Lone Ranger---Jadeveon Clowney (A total freak)
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Starter

User Info Menu

1st time seeing FSU but reminds me of those Bobby Bowden teams where the 2nd string would be a top 20 team. Lot of top tier players on both teams.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There is also another florida state DE/OLB I was reading about that is hurt for the season that should be a good player.I think Carradine fill his spot. What do you think Dee?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Shazier is very good. He plays outstanding and makes a ton of splash plays but he is small. He started his career at Ohio State at safety. The kid could develop into a top notch LB but he needs to add a good 30 lbs to even see the field for the Steelers. I think Simon would be a good fit in Pittsburgh. He would need to develop in the pass coverage area but he can get after the QB and he reminds me a lot of Vrabel when he came out. It will take him a year or two but when he figures it out he will be a stud. He has the physical ability to accomplish the switch from DE to OLB.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would take Ogletree in a second. The Steelers are in huge trouble at ILB if they do not address it properly in the upcoming draft. They have to find a replacement for Larry Foote! It's a must! He has been a liability in pass coverage for the entire season , but the problem is, no one stepped up at ILB in 2012. Spence got hurt and Sylvester has been knicked and has not developed. He seemed to level out last year and that's about all we're gonna see from him. If we had an injury at ILB right now I would expect that Brandon Johnson would probably step in. He would be the logical addition. Either way, this team has to address the ILB position. They wasted too much time already and it's starting to show.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    There is also another florida state DE/OLB I was reading about that is hurt for the season that should be a good player.I think Carradine fill his spot. What do you think Dee?
    Brandon Jenkins. But Tank Carradine is bigger and I think could even put on more weight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Shazier is a beast...but when he comes out he will be top 15 probably higher. Let me tell you who we can get for a song. Recently converted FB to ILB Zak Boren from tOSU. He filled in due to desperation from injury...and what do you know the guy is a beast. Now he is a rock on the inside...traditional thumper...but has enough speed to cover TEs. He has less than a half season at ILB...probably will go in the 4th. He is the real deal. He will make my mock this year.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    Shazier is very good. He plays outstanding and makes a ton of splash plays but he is small. He started his career at Ohio State at safety. The kid could develop into a top notch LB but he needs to add a good 30 lbs to even see the field for the Steelers. I think Simon would be a good fit in Pittsburgh. He would need to develop in the pass coverage area but he can get after the QB and he reminds me a lot of Vrabel when he came out. It will take him a year or two but when he figures it out he will be a stud. He has the physical ability to accomplish the switch from DE to OLB.
    Simon reminds me of Aaron Smith...bring your lunch pale kinda guy...tough as nails.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    Shazier is just a Sophomore so he very well could add more weight but I dont think a whole lot is really needed. He is listed at anywhere from 226 to 230. I think he could stay where he is at be a solid weak-side LB in the NFL or maybe add 10-15 more lbs and play outside in a 3-4. His athleticism is freakish. He can cover, after the QB, and he goes sideline to sideline very well. As you mention, splash plays is what he does. And often. 115 tackles, 17 TFL's, 5 sacks, 3 FF, 1 INT, and 12 PD's. He makes plays behind the line of scrimmage, in pass coverage, and in the open field. Not many players can do that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Shazier is a beast...but when he comes out he will be top 15 probably higher. Let me tell you who we can get for a song. Recently converted FB to ILB Zak Boren from tOSU. He filled in due to desperation from injury...and what do you know the guy is a beast. Now he is a rock on the inside...traditional thumper...but has enough speed to cover TEs. He has less than a half season at ILB...probably will go in the 4th. He is the real deal. He will make my mock this year.
    Yeah Shawn this time next year I maybe doing one of my, "Steelers need to trade their entire draft", to move up and get Shazier. Loved watching Boren today.