Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Anyone still Questioning Antonio Brown's Value to this Offense?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,218

    Anyone still Questioning Antonio Brown's Value to this Offense?

    Since AB has been out, the passing game has become ordinary. Consider, fully 65% of the passes AB caught were for 1st downs. Nine of his 42 catches went for > 20 yds. It may surprise some that only 8 of Mike Wallace's catches went for >20yds.

    Since AB has been injured, Mike Wallace and crew have combined for 15 catches, 196 yds in two games. Wallace himself has 7 rec/40 yds, one catch for a 1st down.

    Antonio Brown makes this offense go. AB sustains drives. AB makes plays the other WRs simply don't. Antonio Brown shows his contract is well-deserved. Life without Brown in the offense will continue to be a struggle. Hopefully, Burress can pick up some of the slack.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 11-24-2012 at 04:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,587
    Give me a break!! Antonio Brown is a good receiver/player on this football team, however, he is far from "great". And he too can be replaced. I think the numbers you post have a little more to do with the fact that the teams starting QB has been out the past 1 1/2 games. When Antonio Brown scores touchdowns with some type of regulatory then I think your point might be a little more valid. Right now...Antonio Brown doesn't score touchdowns. Sorry.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Since AB has been out, the passing game has become ordinary. Consider, fully 65% of the passes AB caught were for 1st downs. Nine of his 42 catches went for > 20 yds. It may surprise some that only 8 of Mike Wallace's catches went for >20yds.

    Since AB has been injured, Mike Wallace and crew have combined for 15 catches, 196 yds in two games. Wallace himself has 7 rec/40 yds, one catch for a 1st down.

    Antonio Brown makes this offense go. AB sustains drives. AB makes plays the other WRs simply don't. Antonio Brown shows his contract is well-deserved. Life without Brown in the offense will continue to be a struggle. Hopefully, Burress can pick up some of the slack.
    I agree with you and disagree with Dub in that Brown is a fantastic receiver. Dub's argument that he doesn't score enough touchdowns doesn't really hold water for me as the Steelers have struggled in the redzone and it's simply been the speed of Mike Wallace that's got him in the end zone. If Wallace weren't so incredibly fast his touchdowns would also be down. Brown moves the chains. However in the time frame you mention it's been Byron Leftwich making the throws with a cold Bryon for the rest of the KC game and a injured Bryon against the Ravens. It's not exactly a strong foundation for an argument.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I agree with you and disagree with Dub in that Brown is a fantastic receiver. Dub's argument that he doesn't score enough touchdowns doesn't really hold water for me as the Steelers have struggled in the redzone and it's simply been the speed of Mike Wallace that's got him in the end zone. If Wallace weren't so incredibly fast his touchdowns would also be down. Brown moves the chains. However in the time frame you mention it's been Byron Leftwich making the throws with a cold Bryon for the rest of the KC game and a injured Bryon against the Ravens. It's not exactly a strong foundation for an argument.
    I guess my definition of a "fantastic" receiver is a player who finds the end zone more than 3 times in his entire 3 year career. And who cares how or why Mike Wallace gets into the end zone. He has 21 more times over the same amount of time as Brown.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I agree with you and disagree with Dub in that Brown is a fantastic receiver. Dub's argument that he doesn't score enough touchdowns doesn't really hold water for me as the Steelers have struggled in the redzone and it's simply been the speed of Mike Wallace that's got him in the end zone. If Wallace weren't so incredibly fast his touchdowns would also be down. Brown moves the chains. However in the time frame you mention it's been Byron Leftwich making the throws with a cold Bryon for the rest of the KC game and a injured Bryon against the Ravens. It's not exactly a strong foundation for an argument.
    Agreed...Brown is a freak.

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,576
    Brown has turned into a vital componant of this offense- of that there is no doubt. But as has been pointed out, the argument made in this thread is very slanted & bypasses the importance of losing the starting QB over that time period.

    Not sure Chadman fully understands why we now seem to have the Pro-Brown team vs the Pro-Wallace team. And in saying that- who is on the Pro-Sanders team? Fact is, the Steelers have 3 very talented WR's. Combined, they should put fear in most defences for years to come. The Steelers have hardly scratched the surface in their respective developments.

    Chadman has tried making the 'value of Wallace' argument a few times. A lot say he simply isn't worth what he's asking for. Some say he's worth every penny because of the TD's. Regardless of your view- what is it worth to the Steelers to have Brown, Wallace & Sanders, going forward? These 3 will provide Ben a WR group more talented than anything he had early in his career. If it costs $9-$10 million or whatever to keep Wallace, isn't it worth it if you provide your #1 player with the best tools to do his job?

    Losing Wallace means replacing Wallace- a young guy who is already very good at his young age. This means drafting another WR that will have similar impact. It's easier, more definate, & possibly cheaper 'long term' to stay with the bird in the hand on this one.

    Wallace's value is simple- he's worth whatever it is that keeps him in Pittsburgh.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    who is on the Pro-Sanders team?
    I'm rooting for Sanders to be the best of the 3. I like em all, but Manny's the one that does the little things on every play to try to make the team better. I like the players that separate themselves with their effort and Manny's the effort guy of the trio. Certainly not the most talented by any means, but the NFL has never been about pure talent.

    These guys are all talented in their own way. And none of them are really that helpful in the redzone. Wally's speed is negated. Brown's explosion and hands could be an asset, but they haven't been used. Manny's precise route running and ability to find a hole in a zone aren't being that utilized either. I do think if Manny could get on the field more in the redzone, he's got a knack for helping us score TDs. It's why he's able to get open on 3rd downs just like Heath and Hines used to do for us.

    As much as I like these guys, the redzone has been a real issue. Scoring TDs has been holding this team back for years. And that's why I have throw another TE as my first round pick in almost every draft since we've picked Heath. Others have wanted a big WR for the same reason. Even Ben practically begged for it.

    None of this trio is really going to make a difference in the redzone like a 6'5" WR or TE would. I'd like another Heath. I'm pretty excited to see what Plax has left in him.

    I dunno what the Steelers can/can't afford to pay guys. I want to somehow keep em all. Especially the good ones.

    Wally is one of the good ones. He drives me nuts when he takes plays off. But so did Randy Moss. So while he does drive me bonkers some times, I realize he's got to take plays off to maximize the use of his speed. On the flip side, he's not giving effort on some plays he could be making. Maybe there's a 99% chance he wouldn't make some of those plays, but I'd still rather see him give 100% effort just in case. It's the same as a guy running to first in baseball even when he's surely grounded out. You just never know.

    And I think Manny gets that at his core. And that's why Flippy is on Team Manny.

  8. #8
    holy flawed argument. Lol.

    jerry rice and randy moss in theiir prime would have struggled to get catches with leftwich under center. I love AB, but to say he is the reason the offense has been putrid for 6 quarters is laughable. Its the QB that's out that is causing the problem.

    just another attempt by the anti-wallace crowd to push their agenda.

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    holy flawed argument. Lol.

    jerry rice and randy moss in theiir prime would have struggled to get catches with leftwich under center. I love AB, but to say he is the reason the offense has been putrid for 6 quarters is laughable. Its the QB that's out that is causing the problem.

    just another attempt by the anti-wallace crowd to push their agenda.
    Yep!! Agreed 100%.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    holy flawed argument. Lol.

    jerry rice and randy moss in theiir prime would have struggled to get catches with leftwich under center. I love AB, but to say he is the reason the offense has been putrid for 6 quarters is laughable. Its the QB that's out that is causing the problem.

    just another attempt by the anti-wallace crowd to push their agenda.
    So what you are saying is Ben is the only QB on the team that can take advantage of Wallace's speed?,, meh. Equally flawed argument. If the only one that can complete a pass to Wallace is Ben being Ben, then that tells me something as well. Let's see how he does today with Joe Haden covering him all day.
    BTW, not anti-Wallace, just feel he hasn't elevated his game as much as he could, especially when the Steelers can use him most.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •