Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Loss Against Ravens Is On Tomlin

Backup

User Info Menu

Tomlin makes horrible clock & game mgt decisions routinely and his inability to sit injured players is alarming. Tomlin is a decent position coach with good one liners

Protect Batch for Cleveland? Bent logic at best.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by virgilbosetti View Post
    Tomlin makes horrible clock & game mgt decisions routinely and his inability to sit injured players is alarming. Tomlin is a decent position coach with good one liners

Cleveland and then Baltimore. If you don't think there is some legitimacy to that you're delusional. We're in the midst of a terrible string of injuries. How many teams carry 4 qb's? Hell how many teams have 3 qb's and lose the number 1 and number 2 within the same two weeks? Batch was not put in that game to ensure he's healthy for at least the next two and further ensure the future of the rest of the season. Batch goes in there and gets hurt we're teaching a qb completely new to the haley offense how to run the show AND preparing to play both the Browns AND the Ravens. The writing is on the wall, some of you just refuse to read it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The vast majority of the time what one person characterizes as a horrible clock or game management decision usually is a debatable decision when considered from more than the accusers point of view. I certainly disagree with this and think you should be more specific instead of throwing around large general statements.

Starter

User Info Menu

I did not disagree with the QB handling in the game. But what I do disagree with is the recurring theme that not using Batch was not to risk him getting banged up and then not having any experienced QB for the next few games. What? If replacing Leftwich would have been considered the best option to win the game then it had to be done. Obviously it was not deemed necessary.

Who is to know that Batch will not get dinged very early in the game this week? A possibility for sure. Then TS are forced to play a new QB without any real preparation. If Batch had played in the Raven's game and did get hurt TS would have all this week to truly prepare the new QB. And believe it or not there have been a high % of instances where the new QB does extremely well.

Backup

User Info Menu

Don't care for the way the guy coaches in certain situations. Don't like to throw specifics for two reasons. 1. Name throwers call you delusional because you hold a different opinion. 2. Not trying to talk anyone out of their opinion and convince them they're wrong.

If I offended anyone with my generalities.....sorry and so be it.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    I did not disagree with the QB handling in the game. But what I do disagree with is the recurring theme that not using Batch was not to risk him getting banged up and then not having any experienced QB for the next few games. What? If replacing Leftwich would have been considered the best option to win the game then it had to be done. Obviously it was not deemed necessary.

Who is to know that Batch will not get dinged very early in the game this week? A possibility for sure. Then TS are forced to play a new QB without any real preparation. If Batch had played in the Raven's game and did get hurt TS would have all this week to truly prepare the new QB. And believe it or not there have been a high % of instances where the new QB does extremely well.

Agreed. And it was a close, huge, divisional game against the 1st place team. It was worth a shot to put batch in. If he gets hurt....you are week to week regardless.

Legend

User Info Menu

Either people forgot the times the clock & game management were handled properly or they choose to selectively pick those instances where things we not handled properly as a way to define Tomlin. There were many situations where the clock and game management were handled properly under Tomlin. I believe many coaches make decisions based on instincts, emotion, having faith in players, or other factors. It's always easy to look at decisions made in hindsight when those decisions did not pan out as expected. No coach makes the right decision 100% of the time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Either people forgot the times the clock & game management were handled properly or they choose to selectively pick those instances where things we not handled properly as a way to define Tomlin. There were many situations where the clock and game management were handled properly under Tomlin. I believe many coaches make decisions based on instincts, emotion, having faith in players, or other factors. It's always easy to look at decisions made in hindsight when those decisions did not pan out as expected. No coach makes the right decision 100% of the time.
    Congratulations for making a reasonable response to an idiotic statement.

Backup

User Info Menu

All coaches make good decisions, and Tomlin is certainly one of them. However, he has made enough poor decisions to raise concern. Ignoring them is not something that I chose to do.

Defend them all you want. Sugar.....grow up.
    Last edited by virgilbosetti; 11-22-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Defend them all you want. Sugar.....grow up.
    Actually, I did take the less offensive road there. I was going to flame you, but appreciated the comment that was level-headed and fair instead.