Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Loss Against Ravens Is On Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Tomlin may be a better coach than Noll. It's a different era now. Noll didn't have to deal with FA, changing players, coaches, etc. Noll didn't have to worry about the salary cap. He didn't have to deal with the media or twitter. We didn't know every last decision he made wrong like we know about everyone today. Noll didn't have to manage players who have $100M contracts.

Noll's Steelers had other advantages, like the draft because everything was secret. Nowadays everyone has the same info on the college kids. We can't hide a John Stallworth from the rest of the teams any more. There wasn't drug testing back in the day. Noll got the best players and the rules helped him. Football is a round the year sport now and the competition is fair and talent exists everywhere.

Noll has rings. But I don't think he's ever come close to facing the challenges Tomlin faces and overcomes yearly. I see a lot of Noll in Tomlin. But the game has changed so much, it's nearly impossible to compare them.

I think it's easier to compare Noll to Cowher or Cowher to Tomlin, but Noll and Tomlin coached in completely different leagues.

Sometimes I actually think Cowher was better than both of them. He just never had a QB until the end. I've wondered would Cowher have gotten more than 4 SuperBowls with Terry? Maybe, maybe not. I do think there's a lot of luck and timing involved with success. We usually give too much credit to winners and not enough to losers. That's never changed and probably never will.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I haven't read over the entire thread and just power skimmed the linked article but here is my opinion on why Tomlin didn't put batch in the game. First and foremost if he had put Batch in the game and he himself got injured where are we right now? We're rushing Brian Hoyer to be ready for a two game stint against division opponents. The game was close and I'm certain that Leftwich indicated he could make it through the game. Our defense was playing lights out and really it was just a matter of a couple of completions in the 4th to put the game away. Batch didn't go in IMO because if he had and he got injured we'd be even more screwed. I'm not sure why more people aren't seeing it this way. EDIT: I see Flippy feels the same. I had a small facebook discussion with a few friends on Monday, Tomlin made the correct decision. We get another crack at the Ravens soon, we're without our starting QB and we took them to the wire. Stay as healthy as possible and prepare to beat the Browns and the Ravens the second time out. We could very well need batch the rest of the regular season. It was the ONLY choice to keep Batch out of the game.
    Last edited by Snatch98; 11-21-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

So it was good coaching to leave Leftwich in when he was obviously hurting and couldn't make the throws? In a close, winnable game, with the division lead on the line?

Look, I'm not pinning all the blame for the loss on Mike...I'm befuddled about Haley not sticking with the run when it was working so well...STs letdown was huge...We could go on and on...

But you don't leave your QB in when he's obviously hurt so bad he's hurting you more than helping you. THAT'S WHAT THE BACKUP is FOR.

And if he wouldn't put Batch in because he so scared of losing him to injury and having no QB, then WHY DIDN'T HE SIGN A THIRD QB LAST WEEK?
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 11-21-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There is NO way you can even say at this point in time that Tomlin is a better coach than ever Cowher. NO WAY. Only time well tell. And personally, we'll really see what Tomlin can do here in say the next 3-5 years... I always thought that Tomlin's true colors will be seen once he's fully into his 2nd contract. Simply because of losing all of the older players he had to begin with and we'd see how his coaching staff would evolve.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I might agree with you on the Cowher was a better coach than Noll thought.... Agreed, it was 2 diff. eras, but the jury is so far out on MT at this point. We'll see here down the stretch..
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Starter

User Info Menu

Again Flippy is on target: But-

Flippy said: "Noll's Steelers had other advantages, like the draft because everything was secret. Nowadays everyone has the same info on the college kids. We can't hide a John Stallworth from the rest of the teams any more."

Actually,BLESTO was there in the early 70's. It was just that other teams did not take advantage of the info for some reason or other. I do recall reading this somewhere.

I have never commented on Tomlin one way or another. Why should I? I have no idea what a good or bad coach is anyhow. Maybe MT should loosen up though and spend $19.95 and get a copy of Doc Curealls "Guide to two minute strategies." Yeah, I caught a glimpse of this on one of those late night TV infomercials.Oh incidentally, they throw in a free copy of "Why the "spike" is not a good idea".

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Let's not forget that if Jones didn't return the kick for a TD, we would've won the game. That goes on the ST coach.....
    true, but who fired our ST coach in the middle of the season and promoted this one?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

As soon as I read the part about the author knowing more about Todd Haley's quick release offense than the Mike Tomlin I stopped reading. There was a graphic during the game showing Ben's release and Leftwich's release along with speed of the football. Ben releases the ball exactly 3/100 of second quicker than Leftwich and Leftwich has about 3 MPH more speed on the ball, which basically negates the 3/100 of a second.

I'm sure Batch's release is somewhere between Ben's and Lefty's and his velocity is certainly the slowest of all. The right quarterback played the game and the right quarterback finished the game. Now, had the author said, that Haley's offense is predicated on quicker decisions and that Batch can make quicker decisions based on coverage, protection and route trees then I can buy into the wrong quarterback played. But to try and make an argument against Tomlin over 3/100 of a second and 3 MPH is ridiculous.

Tomlin made the right decision and I believe that the majority of coaches make the exact same decision given the situation.

What I didn't like and I'm not sure who made the call was the 3rd and 2 pass that Wallace couldn't corral and get his feet down in the field of play. With the way the defense was playing I would have run Dwyer on 3rd and 2, if he makes it great, move on and try to score a touchdown; if he doesn't make it, I run with him again on 4th down, if he makes it great, move on and try to score a touchdown, if he doesn't make it, that's okay, it's 1st and 10 on 4 yard line for an offense that couldn't string together 3 good offensive plays all night. The Steelers would have in all likelihood gotten the ball back near midfield.

That was the only questionable sequence as far as I was concerned.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Tomlin's the man.

We should be terrible, but this team is starting to play like a real SuperBowl contender. Consider what he's working with and the results so far.

1. Lose our team leader in Farrior + Ward and Hokie
    2. Harrison, Troy, Max, Mendy, Hampton, Woodley, Worlids banged up to start the season (possibly Keisel too)
    3. QBs best friend is sent packing
    4. 1st and 3rd round draft picks go IR
    5. Moving Colon to G and dealing with a string of injuries on the OLine
    6. RBs getting hurt weekly
    7. 1st and 2nd string QBs hurt
    8. New OC
    9. Depleted WRs
    10. Superstar WR skips camp and appears totally disinterested in season
    11. Can't pass block
    12. Can't rush the passer
    13. Can't create turnovers
    14. Kicker's range is about 40 yards
    15. New punter that's below average
    16. ST coach fired during the preseason
    17. ST is still a disaster

And there's probably a few other things I've left off the list because there's so many. And Mikey T overcomes all of that and is now fielding a team that looks like a real contender. And we're gonna lay the blame for this game on him????

Perhaps Mike knew he couldn't afford to risk Charlie and potentially not have him against the Browns this week. Whatever it was, I have a hard time blaming Tomlin for much given what I witness the guy overcome.

Other teams lose 1 or 2 key players and their season is toast. Not a Mike Tomlin team. We can compete with our 3rd stringers. And the standard remains the standard. And we're fielding a legit contender.

This is some of the best coaching in Steeler history. And we're lucky to be able to see it.
    the majority of stuff on that list could be the direct result of tomlins coaching, decisions and player personnel you know.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    So it was good coaching to leave Leftwich in when he was obviously hurting and couldn't make the throws? In a close, winnable game, with the division lead on the line?

Look, I'm not pinning all the blame for the loss on Mike...I'm befuddled about Haley not sticking with the run when it was working so well...STs letdown was huge...We could go on and on...

But you don't leave your QB in when he's obviously hurt so bad he's hurting you more than helping you. THAT'S WHAT THE BACKUP is FOR.

And if he wouldn't put Batch in because he so scared of losing him to injury and having no QB, then WHY DIDN'T HE SIGN A THIRD QB LAST WEEK?

$$$$$$$$$$
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha