Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Has the NFL ruined football ?

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,180
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    That is why I love the NFL Ticket and NFL Redzone. I absolutely refuse to sit and watch commercials, as I had to when watching games at the bar. Today, I keep switching to other games until I find a live game. And if by some how every single game is on commercial I switch to a movie. I just refuse to watch their endless crap.
    That's why the redzone is so great!! It's hard to find time to go get another beer ... but somehow I manage.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  2. #12
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,721
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    That's why the redzone is so great!! It's hard to find time to go get another beer ... but somehow I manage.
    your strength knows no bounds...

  3. #13
    Backup tiproast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    241
    I blame Bill Polian. After the Patriots DBs did a Mel Blount to the Colts WRs in the 2003 playoffs, he got the league to wussify the coverage rules even more than they did for Don Shula during the Marino years.

    Of course, I may have been wearing Flying Elvis shaped sunglasses when I typed that, but that doesn't mean it's not true.
    “We'll do the same thing that we always do. We'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.” - Bill Belichick

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer Djfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,367
    You're right Tiproast, and there are about 300 other examples of such accommodations. It is not even close to the game I grew up loving. Seeing a great athletic play called back and fined because the defensive guy is guilty until proven to be a non-Steeler is just annoying.

    I really watch less and less of it. I watch NO non-Steelers games, and rarely watch the whole Steeler game. It's sad.

    The NCAA is VERY exciting this year, though.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com


    My son's first Kansas Turkey!

  5. #15
    Backup tiproast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    241
    Yeah, college is more fun these days. And since I went to a small school, I don't have a huge emotional investment when I watch one top-25 team face another one.

    Unless the team is coached by a doofus (e.g. Lane Kiffin). Then I root against them.
    “We'll do the same thing that we always do. We'll take every situation from week to week and do what we think is best for that week and evaluate it on that basis.” - Bill Belichick

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,800
    Let us not forget the price of beer at the games either....... This should add some fire to this thread !

  7. #17
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    That is why I love the NFL Ticket and NFL Redzone. I absolutely refuse to sit and watch commercials, as I had to when watching games at the bar. Today, I keep switching to other games until I find a live game. And if by some how every single game is on commercial I switch to a movie. I just refuse to watch their endless crap.
    Same here..Redzone is the only way to watch football when the Steelers aren't playing. Even when all games are in commercial they don't do commercials, but show highlight clips from games.... and where I am its pretty cheap too.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Tired of the seemingly endless replays and reviews of calls and the picking apart of about every 5th play. Guessing it makes for more commercial time and more $$$ for the rich NFL.
    IMO, this is something that the NFL has to take from (of all leagues) the NHL. In hockey, there is one central office in Toronto that handles all reviews. I say you set up a studio in NY, set up something like 6 monitoring stations, and everytime there is a review in a game it goes to the studio where the replay official looks at it and sends back the result. The replay official is random as it goes to another station on a rotating basis, and it doesn't involve 60 year old men running half way down the field and back in order to watch the monitor.

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,800
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    IMO, this is something that the NFL has to take from (of all leagues) the NHL. In hockey, there is one central office in Toronto that handles all reviews. I say you set up a studio in NY, set up something like 6 monitoring stations, and everytime there is a review in a game it goes to the studio where the replay official looks at it and sends back the result. The replay official is random as it goes to another station on a rotating basis, and it doesn't involve 60 year old men running half way down the field and back in order to watch the monitor.

    Excellent but the trouble is, it makes too much sense.

  10. #20
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,054
    Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    I blame Bill Polian. After the Patriots DBs did a Mel Blount to the Colts WRs in the 2003 playoffs, he got the league to wussify the coverage rules even more than they did for Don Shula during the Marino years.

    Of course, I may have been wearing Flying Elvis shaped sunglasses when I typed that, but that doesn't mean it's not true.
    The Flying Elvis logo is an abomination. Your boys need to return to the old Pat Patriot logo from your avatar ASAP.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •