Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Has the NFL ruined football ?

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    That is why I love the NFL Ticket and NFL Redzone. I absolutely refuse to sit and watch commercials, as I had to when watching games at the bar. Today, I keep switching to other games until I find a live game. And if by some how every single game is on commercial I switch to a movie. I just refuse to watch their endless crap.
    That's why the redzone is so great!! It's hard to find time to go get another beer ... but somehow I manage.

  2. #12
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    That's why the redzone is so great!! It's hard to find time to go get another beer ... but somehow I manage.
    your strength knows no bounds...

  3. #13
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    I blame Bill Polian. After the Patriots DBs did a Mel Blount to the Colts WRs in the 2003 playoffs, he got the league to wussify the coverage rules even more than they did for Don Shula during the Marino years.

    Of course, I may have been wearing Flying Elvis shaped sunglasses when I typed that, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    You're right Tiproast, and there are about 300 other examples of such accommodations. It is not even close to the game I grew up loving. Seeing a great athletic play called back and fined because the defensive guy is guilty until proven to be a non-Steeler is just annoying.

    I really watch less and less of it. I watch NO non-Steelers games, and rarely watch the whole Steeler game. It's sad.

    The NCAA is VERY exciting this year, though.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]


    My son's first Kansas Turkey!

  5. #15
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Yeah, college is more fun these days. And since I went to a small school, I don't have a huge emotional investment when I watch one top-25 team face another one.

    Unless the team is coached by a doofus (e.g. Lane Kiffin). Then I root against them.

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Let us not forget the price of beer at the games either....... This should add some fire to this thread !

  7. #17
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    That is why I love the NFL Ticket and NFL Redzone. I absolutely refuse to sit and watch commercials, as I had to when watching games at the bar. Today, I keep switching to other games until I find a live game. And if by some how every single game is on commercial I switch to a movie. I just refuse to watch their endless crap.
    Same here..Redzone is the only way to watch football when the Steelers aren't playing. Even when all games are in commercial they don't do commercials, but show highlight clips from games.... and where I am its pretty cheap too.

  8. #18
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Tired of the seemingly endless replays and reviews of calls and the picking apart of about every 5th play. Guessing it makes for more commercial time and more $$$ for the rich NFL.
    IMO, this is something that the NFL has to take from (of all leagues) the NHL. In hockey, there is one central office in Toronto that handles all reviews. I say you set up a studio in NY, set up something like 6 monitoring stations, and everytime there is a review in a game it goes to the studio where the replay official looks at it and sends back the result. The replay official is random as it goes to another station on a rotating basis, and it doesn't involve 60 year old men running half way down the field and back in order to watch the monitor.

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    IMO, this is something that the NFL has to take from (of all leagues) the NHL. In hockey, there is one central office in Toronto that handles all reviews. I say you set up a studio in NY, set up something like 6 monitoring stations, and everytime there is a review in a game it goes to the studio where the replay official looks at it and sends back the result. The replay official is random as it goes to another station on a rotating basis, and it doesn't involve 60 year old men running half way down the field and back in order to watch the monitor.

    Excellent but the trouble is, it makes too much sense.

  10. #20
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    I blame Bill Polian. After the Patriots DBs did a Mel Blount to the Colts WRs in the 2003 playoffs, he got the league to wussify the coverage rules even more than they did for Don Shula during the Marino years.

    Of course, I may have been wearing Flying Elvis shaped sunglasses when I typed that, but that doesn't mean it's not true.
    The Flying Elvis logo is an abomination. Your boys need to return to the old Pat Patriot logo from your avatar ASAP.


    NFL player locker room talk: Discussing what can be done about racial inequality and criminal justice reform.

    Presidential locker room talk: Discussing involuntary gynecological exams.

    According to the highest office in the country, some "very fine people" marched with torches in a violent protest in Charlottesville, but participating in a non-violent protest on a football field means you are an S.O.B. who should be fired.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •