Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FO Fail?

Legend

User Info Menu

we should have kept JJ...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm quite pleased that the Steelers kept Batch over Johnson. I'd rather see Batch starting against the Browns and believe that he gives the Steelers the best chance to win.

I remember the first preseason game against the Eagles - Nick Foles lit up the Steelers third and fourth stringers, and Johnson did very little. Well, Nick Foles is now starting and playing terribly. If Johnson was facing first team defenses, it would be a disaster.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't know if I would label it a "fail" but you can be sure it is highlighted on the "to do" list.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This all could work out just fine for us. IF they sign Kafka, who is a good young QB, he could possibly wind up as our long term backup. Of course, this is just a possibility and they could sign someone else, but I'm just baffled as to why Andy Reid cut the guy in the 1st place. Sort of hardly given the guy a chance, and he's a NW graduate. Pretty damn smart kid who can throw it. We'll see. I was thinking the Steelers need to use a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick next year on a valid back up QB, but heck, maybe this guy will be our answer at #2- long term.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have always said that Batch and Leftwich are brittle china dolls. I wanted them to keep Johnson. However, I do NOT see this as a FO oversight. They kept three QBs who have all succeeded in the NFL. We still have Batch for this game and hopefully Ben will be back soon. The season is not lost and we still have a capable QB for this game.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I have always said that Batch and Leftwich are brittle china dolls. I wanted them to keep Johnson. However, I do NOT see this as a FO oversight. They kept three QBs who have all succeeded in the NFL. We still have Batch for this game and hopefully Ben will be back soon. The season is not lost and we still have a capable QB for this game.
    How is it not an oversight when everyone other than apparently you (not you, meaning you as in the coaches) know straight up that the two backups you are keeping are brittle and one is old as hell? Say Ben went down in game two with a broken leg that would take 10 weeks to heal and have him back......would it make sense to have to brittle/ one old backup QB's? Or would it make more sense to have one old cagey veteran and one young buck like Johnson? I would of kept Johnson and Leftwich and signed Batch a some sort of offensive coach and if we ended up needing him then sign him to a contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sometime in the past two drafts the team should have gotten serious about drafting a young developmental QB. Not sure whether they didn't want to tick off Ben or what but we are pay the piper now for not doing that. The reality is that there really aren't any good back-ups in the league right or very, very few. The #1 guy goes down and every team struggles. Anyone watch the Bears last night without Cutler?

That is why I really think we will struggle the rest of the season. After watching the Browns play the Cowboys, I know they can beat us unless we play an "A" game in all facets of play. The Ravens can beat us again too.

Just watch how the rest of our season potentially ffalls apart and you will understand why Goodell is trying to protect starting QBs. The product just ends up being inferior.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I still can't believe Leftwich hurt himself two different times in that game. Once by simply falling down on a score, untouched, and the other by being sacked.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I still can't believe Leftwich hurt himself two different times in that game. Once by simply falling down on a score, untouched, and the other by being sacked.
    The DB hit him on the way to the end zone..

that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm quite pleased that the Steelers kept Batch over Johnson. I'd rather see Batch starting against the Browns and believe that he gives the Steelers the best chance to win.

I remember the first preseason game against the Eagles - Nick Foles lit up the Steelers third and fourth stringers, and Johnson did very little. Well, Nick Foles is now starting and playing terribly. If Johnson was facing first team defenses, it would be a disaster.
    I'm with you Philly. Johnson showed nothing to make anyone think he was a useful player in this league. At least Lefty and Batch had starting experience.