Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: FO Fail?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    If you draft a quarterback in one of the last two drafts and develop him to replace Ben he would probably be 28 or 29 when he sees the field for the first time. What "good" young quarterback wants to sit and learn for 8 or 9 years?

Pappy
    Gary Kubiak

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Backup

User Info Menu

If you draft a quarterback in one of the last two drafts and develop him to replace Ben he would probably be 28 or 29 when he sees the field for the first time. What "good" young quarterback wants to sit and learn for 8 or 9 years?

Pappy
    It's the best job in the NFL...most QB's who come in and play, fail. It's not always their fault, but unless you are a top draft pick or a team makes a real investment in you you'd be better off carrying the clipboard for a few years to get the pension.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    we entered the season with Ben, Lefty and Batch...
    That is the problem you listed 3. but, in my eye's it's only 1 and two ready for retirement. Your 2nd and 3rd string cannot be lefty and Batch together you need one
    young good prospect behind Ben. Like when we had Ben as the backup!!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pappy
    sorry Ben only has 3-5 years left they need a great QB draft now!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Unless some great QB is there at our draft slot I wouldn't take a QB at this time. Why pay a QB all that money that will sit the bench until his next contract ? I would wait two more seasons and then pick the qb of the future.
    I did say earlier that picking a qb the second or first round this draft for a backup role if the guy shows sometype of arm and has more brains than happy legs. I take that back now about making him a first round because I forgot about the money that is involved with that pick and as I mentioned above, " why pay him to sit the bench and then need to sign him to a larger contract when, you really won't know what he is like because Ben being the man at the time. "

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it's certainly a fail. I mean how hard is it to develop a capable young back up QB? We don't need another Ben on the bench, just a guy who can manage a game...not beat us and make a few throws within the context of a short ball, 3 step system. Instead we have old guys...one with a wind up you can time with a sun dial...and the other who takes metamucil in his gatorade. I mean really?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think it's certainly a fail. I mean how hard is it to develop a capable young back up QB? We don't need another Ben on the bench, just a guy who can manage a game...not beat us and make a few throws within the context of a short ball, 3 step system. Instead we have old guys...one with a wind up you can time with a sun dial...and the other who takes metamucil in his gatorade. I mean really?
    just spewed my morning coffee all over the monitor....LMFAO

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    sorry Ben only has 3-5 years left they need a great QB draft now!!!
    Even still, what quarterback that is highly regarded (2nd or 3rd round) wants to play behind Ben? Ben may play 1 year, 3 years, 5 years or 8 years, there is no way to tell, but based on Ben's ability to absorb hits and stay healthy I would look for Ben to be playing well into his 30s at this point. I just don't think it's a prudent draft scenario at this point and certainly not last year or year before, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I would have to say it's harder than you're giving credit, since when most teams have a backup in the game they tend to lose games. The Bears and Colts of last year come to mind. If it were easy to have a backup that can come in make a few throws in a 3 step drop system, manage the game and win games the teams above should have been able to make the playoffs last year.

Many teams, Jaguars, Bills, Miami, Jets have backup quarterbacks starting, so how would it be easy to groom a quarterback that isn't even good enough to earn a starting position on teams with "backups" as starters?

Having a capable backup is a luxury that teams can't afford in the salary cap era and the Steelers probably have two of the most capable backups on their roster. Unfortunately, one is now injured and the Steelers will have to use their 3rd string quarterback.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Even still, what quarterback that is highly regarded (2nd or 3rd round) wants to play behind Ben? Ben may play 1 year, 3 years, 5 years or 8 years, there is no way to tell, but based on Ben's ability to absorb hits and stay healthy I would look for Ben to be playing well into his 30s at this point. I just don't think it's a prudent draft scenario at this point and certainly not last year or year before, IMO.

Pappy
    Ben will be around for another 5 years unless you push him out the door ala Brett Favre.

What we need to draft for NOW is a quality back up who can come into a game and perform not the future starter. That is something that is easier to find because of Haley's offense.

The future starter for Ben needs to be found in about 2-3 years and hopefully it doesn't take another 20+ years like it did between Bradshaw and Ben. The reality is we need to plan to have a losing season in 2-3 years so we are in positon to get our next starting QB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"