Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: FO Fail?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ben will be around for another 5 years unless you push him out the door ala Brett Favre.

What we need to draft for NOW is a quality back up who can come into a game and perform not the future starter. That is something that is easier to find because of Haley's offense.

The future starter for Ben needs to be found in about 2-3 years and hopefully it doesn't take another 20+ years like it did between Bradshaw and Ben. The reality is we need to plan to have a losing season in 2-3 years so we are in position to get our next starting QB.
    I just don't believe taking a quarterback in the draft to groom as a backup is prudent. First, if he's a rookie and has to play you're done. Second, if your starter remains healthy and you've groomed him for a few years and he gets into games and does well, he'll hit the free agent market and he'll be gone. If he doesn't do well, then you're done again. I would go the route of the Steelers and find a veteran that realizes his days of being a starting quarterback are done and keep him as the backup.

I thought the Steelers were in the best position in the league at quarterback having two veterans that have had some success in the NFL just in case the Steelers needed them. We'll see how it goes this weekend and next.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I just don't believe taking a quarterback in the draft to groom as a backup is prudent. First, if he's a rookie and has to play you're done. Second, if your starter remains healthy and you've groomed him for a few years and he gets into games and does well, he'll hit the free agent market and he'll be gone. If he doesn't do well, then you're done again. I would go the route of the Steelers and find a veteran that realizes his days of being a starting quarterback are done and keep him as the backup.

I thought the Steelers were in the best position in the league at quarterback having two veterans that have had some success in the NFL just in case the Steelers needed them. We'll see how it goes this weekend and next.

Pappy
    25 for 53 --274 yards 47.2 % -- 1 int -- 55.1 rating-- 3 broken ribs and a separated shoulder and fear of going to the 3rd string, a loss, and you have to wait until next week to decide if it was a bad decision? Come on Pap you are better than that!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Instead we have old guys...one with a wind up you can time with a sun dial...and the other who takes metamucil in his gatorade. I mean really?
    that's funny stuff right there...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The thing about a developmental QB is that most young QBs need some playing time to develop. There are only a very few that can come in and do a really good job, right away. What you gain in their ability to absorb a hit, you might lose in their ability to process the info on the field and deliver quality results. So that is why I don't think going with Batch and Leftwich was such a bad decision. A developmental QB is mostly going to sit behind Big Ben. Batch had the fragile rep and then he went his last few appearances without being injured. So now he doesn't seem quite as fragile. I don't think Leftwich was considered fragile earlier in his career. He has been injured recently so he has the fragile rep. These type of reps rise and fall based on recent appearances. I always hope that if someone doesn't play much, like these guys, their bones will heal and be stronger, but maybe not. Leftwich is not old at 32 for the QB position, though.