Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Collinsworth Comment

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting Collinsworth Comment

I heard CC make an interesting observation last night about the Steelers D. Says the reason they often wear down in the 4th quarter is that they don't substitute players like other teams. So their individuals are worn out by the 4th quarter because they're in on so many plays.

Is this true? Do we not substitute players like other teams do? He made it sound like someone from Baltimore told him that.

I don't always pay attention to these guys babbling. But I caught this little comment by CC and it's not something I've ever heard or thought about before.

Starter

User Info Menu

That old, tired D held Baltimore to two FGs.

Collingsworth occasionally has some good insight. But not that time.

Legend

User Info Menu

We sub on the D-line to keep the big fellas fresh. Hood, Hampton, and Keisel start, but there are still snaps where Heyward, McLendon, and even Woods come in to give our guys up front a breather. In nickel, Hampton comes off and is replaced with Cortez Allen as an extra DB. The DE's move inside to DT's in a 4 man line and our OLB's put a hand in the dirt like DE's (if we do sub in someone here on occassion, we would likely insert Worilds as a pass rusher for the veteran Harrison moreso than the younger Woodley). When we go dime, we add Ryan Mundy or Curtis Brown as the 6th DB, removing one of the ILB's (most likely the veteran Foote as opposed to the younger Timmons). The young DB's (Allen, Brown, Mundy), come in to play alongside our regular DB's in specialty defenses, rather than replace them, so our starting corners and safeties are pretty much out there the whole time. Since certain guys have a role in our base, nickel, and dime packages, they rarely, if ever, come off the field except in case of injury (like Ryan Clark, Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, Lawrence Timmons, and LaMarr Woodley).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We sub on the D-line to keep the big fellas fresh. Hood, Hampton, and Keisel start, but there are still snaps where Heyward, McLendon, and even Woods come in to give our guys up front a breather.
    Heyward got a lot of playing time once Ziggy got hurt but Al Woods only played 4 snaps and McLendon only got in on 7 plays.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers For Week 10

Player Team Position Started
    Total Snaps
    Off Snaps
    Off Snap Pct
    Def Snaps
    Def Snap Pct
    ST Snaps
    ST Snap Pct
    96-E.Hood PIT DL YES
    0%
    97%
    30%
    99-B.Keisel PIT DL YES
    0%
    94%
    27%
    98-C.Hampton PIT DL YES
    0%
    59%
    3%
    97-C.Heyward PIT DL NO
    0%
    8%
    37%
    90-S.McLendon PIT DL NO
    0%
    11%
    13%
    65-A.Woods PIT DL NO
    0%
    3%
    13%
    Page 1

[URL="http://www.zapatec.com/"].[/URL]
    Last edited by pittpete; 11-19-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    That old, tired D held Baltimore to two FGs.
    On short fields too...that was a winning effort by the D - it was our Back-up QB & prima donna WR that didn't get it done.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It seems from seeing the Def. snaps on the site that shall not be named (but is linked on bleacher report). That the DE do not take many breathers. Hood plays a ton of snaps every game if not all unless he gets hurt it seems. They said something about a back injury last night is why Heyward played more.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm surprised that McClendon isn't rotated in a bit more as an inside rusher on passing situations. I think giving him a few more snaps in those situations to spell Ziggy (when healthy) and Keisel would benefit both the pass rush and the defense.

But I don't really see those guys wearing down much late.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I heard CC make an interesting observation last night about the Steelers D. Says the reason they often wear down in the 4th quarter is that they don't substitute players like other teams. So their individuals are worn out by the 4th quarter because they're in on so many plays.

Is this true? Do we not substitute players like other teams do? He made it sound like someone from Baltimore told him that.

I don't always pay attention to these guys babbling. But I caught this little comment by CC and it's not something I've ever heard or thought about before.
    Do you mean like not trusting young players and giving them game experience?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

The best thing CC said on Sunday Night was unveiling some new/futuristic uni's instead of dusting off old jerseys from the 30's.