Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Heyward

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    You really think this is Hood's issue? I just don't think he's that good. period.
    I certainly don't think it's a lack of strength. I'm sure we all remember watching the videos leading up to the season. I'm not sure what's going on with hood but I also don't believe Lebeau would sacrifice the rest of the defense if he thought hood couldn't do the job. We have a similar thing going on with Casey and McClendon.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You really think this is Hood's issue? I just don't think he's that good. period.
    Not that good maybe but not as bad as portrayed. Definitely not a player to cut. He does some good things. Did Heyward really do that well or is this another example of board bias, where the player the board seems be down on (Hood) gets panned for similar performances by the favored backup. Heyward played reasonably well. I didn't see him collapsing the pocket all day, like I hear. Still credited with 2 tackles which is very Hood like stat. No sacks. Hood like. I still don't see Heyward as having clearly separated himself.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Not that good maybe but not as bad as portrayed. Definitely not a player to cut. He does some good things. Did Heyward really do that well or is this another example of board bias, where the player the board seems be down on (Hood) gets panned for similar performances by the favored backup. Heyward played reasonably well. I didn't see him collapsing the pocket all day, like I hear. Still credited with 2 tackles which is very Hood like stat. No sacks. Hood like. I still don't see Heyward as having clearly separated himself.
    Really, according to PFF, Heyward starting one game has already came up with a whole lot more production than Hood has almost all season. Read this and tell me Heyward shouldn't get a shot to repeat his efforts?

Make the Switch
    With Ziggy Hood a continual disappointment as a starter for the Steelers along their defensive line, he left this game injured after just a dozen snaps, opening the door for Cameron Heyward to show what he could do. Hood had actually made a couple of plays in the run game before he went out, but they both came from being blocked to the ground around the point of attack and simply clogging up the intended running lane. It was certainly an interesting tactic, and given his play in the past, might be his best bet to make an impact.

Heyward showed after he came in that it simply is not the scheme that is holding Hood back, because in the same position and role he made far more of a presence of himself.

Heyward made five tackles, which is more than half of the total that Hood has for the entire season and the story is the same when it comes to pass-rushing, with a hit and two hurries exactly half of the total pressure Hood has at this point in the year. Pittsburgh has just been given the tape that justifies a switch at the position. Let’s see if they notice. Make the Switch!

[URL="https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/20/refo-ravens-steelers-week-11/"]https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...elers-week-11/[/URL]
    I think what you may have here is one player is a gamer at practice/working out (Hood) and one player is a gamer during actual games (Heyward).

Steelers should give Heyward a chance to produce.
    Last edited by BigRob; 11-21-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Heyward is getting his chance to produce right now.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Heyward is getting his chance to produce right now.
    Assuming Hood can't play right. Hood shouldn't get his spot right back just because he gets healthy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Really, according to PFF, Heyward starting one game has already came up with a whole lot more production than Hood has almost all season. Read this and tell me Heyward shouldn't get a shot to repeat his efforts?

I think what you may have here is one player is a gamer at practice/working out (Hood) and one player is a gamer during actual games (Heyward).

The game stats of NFL.com listed Heyward with two tackles for that game. Pretty big difference.

On ESPN. to date they have Hood:
    10 solo tackles, 7 asst, 17 total, 1 sack zero yards, 1 tackle for loss and 2 passes defensed.

Heyward they list:
    8 solo tackles, 3 asst, 11 total, 1 sack 3 yards, 0 tackles for loss and 0 passes defensed.

These other sites don't give Heyward that much production. That is not the only game Heyward has played in. He plays every game.
    I don't think they can afford to sit Hood down and just play Heyward because they have three DEs, Hood, Heyward and Keisel who all need to play and rotate.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    The game stats of NFL.com listed Heyward with two tackles for that game. Pretty big difference.

On ESPN. to date they have Hood:
    10 solo tackles, 7 asst, 17 total, 1 sack zero yards, 1 tackle for loss and 2 passes defensed.

Heyward they list:
    8 solo tackles, 3 asst, 11 total, 1 sack 3 yards, 0 tackles for loss and 0 passes defensed.

These other sites don't give Heyward that much production.
    Hood has started every game. Compare the stats you listed from ESPN. Heyward with limited playing time has equaled or exceeded Hood's production. Collinsworth noted on the broadcast how little the Steelers rotate d-lineman.

According to Footballoutsiders ([URL]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts[/URL]) Hood has 523 snaps played to Heywards 259 (This includes the Baltimore game where he played almost all the snaps).

How is that not setting himself apart?

By the way, PFF is very respected, I tend to trust their film breakdown for the most part.
    Last edited by BigRob; 11-21-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

The game where Hood stood out the most to me was KC when they were running right at him. Their RB and line were going sideways to stretch out the Steelers and then their RB was cutting back as soon as their was a lane.

As a result, Hood was in a position of going backward and sideways with the play trying to ride it out and let the LBs make a play. And the LBs weren't doing their part either. The difference between last week and this week was the LBs. Harrison was going hard on the backside pursuit. And Woodley was holding the edge forcing the cut back faster and when you add that with the more aggressive pursuit from Silverback, Rice didn't have any lane/room to cut back.

The whole front 7 played about their best game of the season against Baltimore. And I think Hood was holding his end of the bargain. Again, no 3rd down conversions happened while Hood was on the field.

I think Heyward looks a lot more promising. And I think the 2 will be fine together in time. However we slice it, I'd love to see more rotation. Keisel was a good pass rusher when he came in on 3rd downs for Kimo back in the day. I wouldn't mind seeing that again and maybe letting Heyward take Keisel's spot sooner than later.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

HOOD has seen the field 3 times as much as HEYWARD w/ another year of experience in front of him.

Maybe starting HEYWARD over HOOD might send HOOD a message that his play is NOT ok??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

I think Hood was holding his end of the bargain. Again, no 3rd down conversions happened while Hood was on the field.
    Hood only played about 12 snaps this game, how was he having an impact? Heyward played over 50 snaps. I would give him the lion's share of the credit you are giving to Hood.