Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still Thinking SuperBowl

Legend

User Info Menu

the Giants barely squeaked into the playoffs last season and ended up winning the Super Bowl so anything is possible until you're actually mathematically eliminated.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    the Giants barely squeaked into the playoffs last season and ended up winning the Super Bowl so anything is possible until you're actually mathematically eliminated.

I like your positive attitude

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO, the defense is playing too good right now to discount the Steelers. Had the Ravens been able to score points at will or at least put 20-25 points on the board and the Steelers are completely out of the game then I would be worried. Timmons was getting off blocks in the run game and making plays, Harrison had 8 tackles, 1 for loss and a sack, Woodley had a bunch of tackles, 1 for loss, Keenan Lewis had 10 tackles and a couple passes defensed, Taylor limited Smith to 1 catch for 7 yards.

The Steelers simply have to find a way into the playoffs and hope Ben's shoulder and rib heal by that time.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

The Steelers simply have to find a way into the playoffs and hope Ben's shoulder and rib heal by that time.

Pappy
    Therein lies the mountainous challenge...without Ben, I could see them finishing anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7, and I'm doubtful that will get them a ticket to the playoffs.

Furthermore, I don't think even the Steelers F.O. thinks they have a real good chance of making a Super Bowl run, or they would be looking to sign a veteran FA QB instead of guys like Kafka and Hoyer. Unless, that is, they think Ben will be back in a week or two.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 11-20-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Therein lies the mountainous challenge...without Ben, I could see them finishing anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7, and I'm doubtful that will get them a ticket to the playoffs.

Furthermore, I don't think even the Steelers F.O. thinks they have a real good chance of making a Super Bowl run, or they would be looking to sign a veteran FA QB instead of guys like Kafka and Hoyer. Unless, that is, they think Ben will be back in a week or two.
    Other teams are going to lose games. The Ravens may lose this week without Reed versus the Chargers. The Steelers just need to take care of Cleveland this week. I know Cleveland played Dallas pretty tough, but Weeden should look about as good as Flacco versus the defense. The special teams need to just hold the fort and not give up big plays or make any major gaffes (fumbles, personal foul penalties,etc) and the offense needs to possess the ball (similar to Baltimore game), get a lead, not turn it over three times and basically not lose the game.

This has to be the recipe until Ben comes back and the Steelers will win games including the Ravens II in a couple weeks.

Colts - Bills, Lions, Titans and Texans twice (there are some losses in there with a rookie quarterback)
    Patriots - Jets, Dolphins (twice), 49ers and Texans (can't see them winning out)
    Denver - Chiefs (twice), Bucs, Raiders, Ravens and Browns (even with Manning not winning out)
    Cincy - Raiders, Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles (Dalton is consistent enough to win them all)

That's everybody that is either one game ahead or 1 game behind the Steelers, teams that are two games ahead probably can't be caught except the Ravens (because we play them again and I think they'll lose a game) and teams that are two behind have a tough road ahead.

The Steelers need to hold serve this weekend and see what shakes out. This weekend's game won't be easy, but I believe the defense will be able to fluster Weeden and everyone that was calling for Batch to run the quick passing game gets a chance to see how that all works out.

One thing for sure if I were Haley, I would not allow Batch to throw the ball in obvious passing situations, 3rd and 5 or greater would be a run and if they don't make it then a punt and let the defense play. 2nd and long would be either a slant, a hitch to a TE, bubble screen, draw play or stretch play, if 3rd becomes manageable try to convert, if not, run it and punt again. A punt is going to be a good play for the Steelers. Batch needs to get through the game healthy and to get a feel for live action again. Against the Ravens then you can take a few more chances, but this week has to be about field position, staying in the game and winning or defending a lead late.

Just my opinion.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=papillon;533841

Colts - Bills, Lions, Titans and Texans twice (there are some losses in there with a rookie quarterback)

That's everybody that is either one game ahead or 1 game behind the Steelers, teams that are two games ahead probably can't be caught except the Ravens (because we play them again and I think they'll lose a game) and teams that are two behind have a tough road ahead.

Pappy[/QUOTE]

Could you imagine if the Bruce Arians-led Colts made the playoffs and the Steelers didn't??

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Could you imagine if the Bruce Arians-led Colts made the playoffs and the Steelers didn't??
    the Colts are playing inspired football in honor of Chuck Pagano, I wish them nothing but the best of Andrew Luck.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I would have had to guess, I would say Arians would be a better head coach than a offensive cord. Maybe the head coaching time he puts in will distract him from totally screwing up an offense. Once again, Arian has a future great QB to make him look good. The Colts had a bad season last year because no Manning. Now they have another great Qb as it seems and they're doing well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    If I would have had to guess, I would say Arians would be a better head coach than a offensive cord. Maybe the head coaching time he puts in will distract him from totally screwing up an offense. Once again, Arian has a future great QB to make him look good. The Colts had a bad season last year because no Manning. Now they have another great Qb as it seems and they're doing well.
    It appears that LeBeau and Haley are better coordinators than they were HC's. There is a different skill set needed for each job. As for the Steelers, it seems that the team is simply snakebit this year. If healthy, this team could be the best in the NFL. Unfortunately, they aren't healthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Has Shawn Suisham just become the Steelers most important player for the next couple of weeks?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE