Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offense will feature changes

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Offense will feature changes

Source: Beaver County Times - Mike Bires

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said the offense will have subtle changes with QB Byron Leftwich starting Week 11. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley said the offense will adapt to Leftwich's strengths.
    What are his strengths? I am thinking throwing deep, as he often throws short passes way too hard making them nearly impossible to catch. It's like taking a sledge hammer to kill a fly. Balt. is going to sell out to stop the rush. We will not be successful running the ball. Count on that. They know we will try to rush more without our franchise QB. And they are going to defend that and make us beat them with the pass. Can we?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    What are his strengths? I am thinking throwing deep, as he often throws short passes way too hard making them nearly impossible to catch. It's like taking a sledge hammer to kill a fly. Balt. is going to sell out to stop the rush. We will not be successful running the ball. Count on that. They know we will try to rush more without our franchise QB. And they are going to defend that and make us beat them with the pass. Can we?
    I don't know... I watched teams carve up the Baltimore D when they stacked the box and these weren't good teams.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't know... I watched teams carve up the Baltimore D when they stacked the box and these weren't good teams.
    Well, they are down lots of DBs too. But can Lefty do it? He throws 1 good pass for every 2 bad ones it seems to me.

Backup

User Info Menu

This is where we will see how valuable a Todd Haley is to our team. I think there will be adjustments. I agree that Lefty can't do the dink and dunk because of his throwing motion whereas he will telegraph his every throw and the lack of touch on the throw. What does that leave us with?
    Obviously, grind it out on the ground, but we can not rely on that one dimensionality. So, I think we will see a lot of middle to deep pass routes with maybe a handful of draw plays to try to keep Baltimore's D guessing.
    This game could come down to: did our pass protection hold up. Lefty will need several seconds to set in the pocket and pick his weapon to be effective at all.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    This is where we will see how valuable a Todd Haley is to our team. I think there will be adjustments. I agree that Lefty can't do the dink and dunk because of his throwing motion whereas he will telegraph his every throw and the lack of touch on the throw. What does that leave us with?
    Obviously, grind it out on the ground, but we can not rely on that one dimensionality. So, I think we will see a lot of middle to deep pass routes with maybe a handful of draw plays to try to keep Baltimore's D guessing.
    This game could come down to: did our pass protection hold up. Lefty will need several seconds to set in the pocket and pick his weapon to be effective at all.
    BL is going to get smacked around all day; he is what he is. He's not going to change now. And he has no problem with hanging in the pocket, waiting for a rec. to get open, at which time he gets creamed all day, even on successful plays. I don't see him lasting very long; maybe not even for this entire game. Suggs and company are going to tattoo him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We have to throw the ball and spread them out a bit. Baltimore is without two of their top corners. It just makes sense. Problem is, Mike Adams will not be able to slow down Suggs. If we can pass protect, we should be able to throw.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe we should just forfeit the game then lloyd
    If we cant run and we cant pass, then whats left?
    Could we run every return back for a TD?

Legend

User Info Menu

BL is going to get smacked around all day; he is what he is. He's not going to change now. And he has no problem with hanging in the pocket, waiting for a rec. to get open, at which time he gets creamed all day, even on successful plays. I don't see him lasting very long; maybe not even for this entire game. Suggs and company are going to tattoo him.
    In a way Byron is like Ben in terms of holding the ball. Byron won't move in the pocket like Ben, but he'll hold the ball an extra second than he should a lot of times to try and make a play. So can Haley protect Byron from himself like he tried with Ben?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is not a solid and accurate assessment of Leftwich. He has a big arm but he doesn't make every short throw too hard. You probably haven't watched him play a lot. Leftwich is a pretty smart QB. He knows better than to throw shorter passes really hard. He makes quick reads and throws with zip but not way too hard. He is a capable backup if he gets going the right way. I also think the big windup gets exaggerated. It probably adds less than a second to the delivery time. People make it sound like it extends his delivery by 5 or 10 seconds. For a game or two Leftwich is capable of giving a good performance. Even last week, he delivered a couple really nice passes to Sanders and Cotchery. That was in a driving cold rain and with no week to prepare. I think you're underestimating Leftwich.

Legend

User Info Menu

I too feel that Lefty is being underestimated. He can deliver a solid performance for us this week, the key is keeping Thuggs off of him long enough to let him throw. I bet he'll hit Wallace on at least one big hitter Sunday night.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION