Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why Byron Will Be OK

Legend

User Info Menu

I find it hard to believe that a QB made it through college and into the NFL without being able to throw a quick short pass. Sure, we all know that his strong suit is the 60 yard bomb that comes with an excruciatingly long wind-up, but even in offenses built around him not every ball was deep. He must be able to perform the three step drop and hit a guy 5-10 yards away without looking like Luis Tiant (sorry to the younger crowd for this reference, but it is a good one!). He has the summer with Haley's offense, he will have had a full week of reps to shake the rust off - I expect a decent backup performance from BL - better than what we saw in relief on Monday.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Everyone seems focused on wanting Byron to be as good as Ben. But he doesn't have to be for us to win. He just has to be better than the QBs we're playing against.

Here's the murderers row coming up on our schedule:

Flacco
    Weeden
    Flacco
    Rivers
    Romo
    Dalton
    Weeden

I'd say Byron's just as good as any of those guys. Should be good enough to win out.
    Judging by the entire career # of all these QBs, Flacco, Romo, Rivers and Dalton are ALL better QBs than BL. Just is ridiculous wind up delivery in his throwing motion alone makes him worse than all those guys. And his lack of touch on short and medium routes is also a problem. He just winds up and BLOWs the ball to every target, full force, plus he can't/won't avoid the rush and get blasted out there, pretty much guaranteeing that he is going to get hurt in a game or two. It's gonna happen; even KC was creaming the guy. You just can't take NFL full shots like that and stay in one piece, so then we will be down to Charlie, who, being almost 40, makes him a likely injury within 1 or 2 games. Remember I said this.

Legend

User Info Menu

While everyone is focused on Leftwich and the offense as keys, I still say it comes down to the defense. Forget about long, time-consuming offensive drives. The defense will be on the field alot during these games and we know how exposed they can get. I expect field goals will be the primary method of scoring for the Steelers. The defense may need to hold teams under 10 pts to win games...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Judging by the entire career # of all these QBs, Flacco, Romo, Rivers and Dalton are ALL better QBs than BL. Just is ridiculous wind up delivery in his throwing motion alone makes him worse than all those guys. And his lack of touch on short and medium routes is also a problem. He just winds up and BLOWs the ball to every target, full force, plus he can't/won't avoid the rush and get blasted out there, pretty much guaranteeing that he is going to get hurt in a game or two. It's gonna happen; even KC was creaming the guy. You just can't take NFL full shots like that and stay in one piece, so then we will be down to Charlie, who, being almost 40, makes him a likely injury within 1 or 2 games. Remember I said this.
    If what you say is true, isn't it odd the Steelers chose to sign a LB rather than a 3rd QB? They must have a lot of confidence BL or CB will get through the game intact..... or they are in complete denial about their fragility.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If what you say is true, isn't it odd the Steelers chose to sign a LB rather than a 3rd QB? They must have a lot of confidence BL or CB will get through the game intact..... or they are in complete denial about their fragility.
    is that Italian???
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Well, I believe we are about to find out. But I haven't seen either BL or CB last more than 2 games for the last several seasons if called upon. Both seem to get injured within a few games.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I find it hard to believe that a QB made it through college and into the NFL without being able to throw a quick short pass. Sure, we all know that his strong suit is the 60 yard bomb that comes with an excruciatingly long wind-up, but even in offenses built around him not every ball was deep. He must be able to perform the three step drop and hit a guy 5-10 yards away without looking like Luis Tiant (sorry to the younger crowd for this reference, but it is a good one!). He has the summer with Haley's offense, he will have had a full week of reps to shake the rust off - I expect a decent backup performance from BL - better than what we saw in relief on Monday.
    I expect him to be better than last week yes. Do I think he can last for more than a few games with his style of play, taking so many punishing shots? No. He won't. He really gets tattooed back there. He won't last.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bullsheet- Haley will have a solid game plan in there for Byron. He'll be fine. You all worry too much.. Go get your blood pressure checked. lol
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I expect him to be better than last week yes. Do I think he can last for more than a few games with his style of play, taking so many punishing shots? No. He won't. He really gets tattooed back there. He won't last.
    I hear ya, but Haley's O has caused less hits on Ben this season (last game and the injury notwithstanding) and if performed the same way can also cause fewer hits on BL.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Everyone seems focused on wanting Byron to be as good as Ben. But he doesn't have to be for us to win. He just has to be better than the QBs we're playing against.

Here's the murderers row coming up on our schedule:

Flacco
    Weeden
    Flacco
    Rivers
    Romo
    Dalton
    Weeden

I'd say Byron's just as good as any of those guys. Should be good enough to win out.

The schedule looks pretty easy, even with Byron. The best part is everyone else is going to have to step up and play their best with Ben down. It's gonna make us sharp, focused, and deadly come playoff time.

Let's go!!!!!
    Leftwich also audibles more than Ben. Remember the game vs the Skins? On goaline Lefty saw that the corner was playing off of Tone and he hot routed and hit Tone with a great slant Td. More reasons that Byron will be ok

Leftwich played in the same games as Ben did in 08 vs the Eagles, Skins, Browns and Texans and didn't encounter the same problems as Ben did vs the blitz. In fact in same games in 08 Leftwich rivaled Ben.

vs. Skins- Leftwich 7-10 129 yards 1 TD 145 rating
    - Big Ben 5-17 50 yards 1 INT 15.1 rating

vs. Browns Lefty- 7-12 80 yards 78.5 rating 1 Td run
    Roethlisberger 9-14 110 yards 1 INT 58.6 rating

vs. Eagles Big Ben 13-25 131 yards 1 INT 50.6 rating
    Leftwich 4-7 60 yards 85.4 rating

Not trying to say Lefty is better than Ben just trying to build morale guys. Remember this from Lefty to Wallace?

Video of Leftwich to Wallace in Pre Season game. Perfect pass.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-m...t-Miss-Ben-who[/url]

Nice Breakdown

[url]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/08...ace-touchdown/[/url]