Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why Byron Will Be OK

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Lastly, when Leftwich was with the Jags, they used to give us fits. Ugly games but I do believe he was 1-1 vs Ben and Ben had the better team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreal View Post
    Leftwich also audibles more than Ben. Remember the game vs the Skins? On goaline Lefty saw that the corner was playing off of Tone and he hot routed and hit Tone with a great slant Td. More reasons that Byron will be ok

Leftwich played in the same games as Ben did in 08 vs the Eagles, Skins, Browns and Texans and didn't encounter the same problems as Ben did vs the blitz. In fact in same games in 08 Leftwich rivaled Ben.

vs. Skins- Leftwich 7-10 129 yards 1 TD 145 rating
    - Big Ben 5-17 50 yards 1 INT 15.1 rating

vs. Browns Lefty- 7-12 80 yards 78.5 rating 1 Td run
    Roethlisberger 9-14 110 yards 1 INT 58.6 rating

vs. Eagles Big Ben 13-25 131 yards 1 INT 50.6 rating
    Leftwich 4-7 60 yards 85.4 rating
    That's some good stuff. I think it's because he's not Ben that he's more effective sometimes. By not holding the ball and forcing the linemen to block longer on every play, it keeps them fresher to block better on passing plays. And it keeps them fresher for run blocking and helps us run better.

Ben's fine line impacts the performance of the rest of the team. Some for the better (WRs, TEs) and some for the worse (OL, RBs). Overall he helps more than he hurts. But when you get a typical pocket passer like Byron, the rest of the players can collectively play a little better. We end up being worse because Ben's better than Byron. But it's doable.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    That's some good stuff. I think it's because he's not Ben that he's more effective sometimes. By not holding the ball and forcing the linemen to block longer on every play, it keeps them fresher to block better on passing plays. And it keeps them fresher for run blocking and helps us run better.

Ben's fine line impacts the performance of the rest of the team. Some for the better (WRs, TEs) and some for the worse (OL, RBs). Overall he helps more than he hurts. But when you get a typical pocket passer like Byron, the rest of the players can collectively play a little better. We end up being worse because Ben's better than Byron. But it's doable.

I agree with this post 100% Excellent post man

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I think that Leftwich is a better pure passer than Ben (This includes processing info quickly, audibling, hot routing, seeing the field) but Ben is stronger, tougher, more durable,more clutch. Ben has so many intangibles. They are off the charts

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Ben is more accurate too

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben's clutch and he's inhuman on 3rd down. But our Offense still doesn't put up huge points like it needs to. There's still a lot of room to improve.

And that's why we're ok with Byron or Charlie. They aren't clutch. The aren't 3rd down machines. But can they use the weapons we have on Offense to keep us at #18 in scoring in the league? I think the answer is yes.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I wouldnt call Roethlisberger a third down machine. This year? YES. All the others? No way. (Except 07). He has been clutch every year though

Administrator

User Info Menu

Leftwich isn't going to be ok against the Ravens. This offense doesn't suit him at all. He has no touch on the ball... That is not good for Haley's offense. Batch is more suited for a Haley-style offense.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreal View Post
    I think that Leftwich is a better pure passer
    I don't and I don't even think it's close.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lefty does a better Gary Coleman impersonation.