Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rib Injury A Greater Concern

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I'm thinking here that if there is a risk of the next hit being fatal as I've read on this forum somewhere, Ben may have played his last down.

I'd think it'd be hard to find a doc to say, "OK, it's all healed good as new, the risk of this breaking again and going backwards and ripping your aorta to shreds is now back to normal - go for it".
    If there was serious thought that this injury could end Ben's career...I would imagine a surgeon going in an securing the fracture site with hardware. I don't believe that's a real concern.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    If there was serious thought that this injury could end Ben's career...I would imagine a surgeon going in an securing the fracture site with hardware. I don't believe that's a real concern.
    Bouchette tweeted it could kill him by pressing against his aorta. Hope you're right.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Bouchette tweeted it could kill him by pressing against his aorta. Hope you're right.
    I think much of this is being blown out of proportion by local media. Yes, Ben's injury could have been very serious...if a very rare complication of a 1st rib fracture were to have occured. But, it didn't. So, what we have is a healing rib fracture...nothing more nothing less. If the physician's believe it could present him a problem with playing football for the rest of his career, there are ways to surgically stabilize a rib fracture against future trauma.

He is likely to miss 6 weeks, and I expect to see him around for the playoffs if we make it.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think much of this is being blown out of proportion by local media. Yes, Ben's injury could have been very serious...if a very rare complication of a 1st rib fracture were to have occured. But, it didn't. So, what we have is a healing rib fracture...nothing more nothing less. If the physician's believe it could present him a problem with playing football for the rest of his career, there are ways to surgically stabilize a rib fracture against future trauma.

He is likely to miss 6 weeks, and I expect to see him around for the playoffs if we make it.
    Shawn---A medical question: When it heals, is it really healed or will it be more likely to break in the future unless reinforced somehow through surgery in the off sesason?

Just pumping that "secret stuff" they put into "Wolverine" in X-Men would likely do the job
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

O...I heard for years bones after fracture are never as strong. But, the evidence doesn't support that notion. A totally healed bone has equal strength in most cases as the pre fracture bone. So I see no reason that Ben couldn't play at week 6 post injury.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I love our Steelers and I love our Steelers to win but, I don't want to see these guys end up injured, not living a long healthy life or living with injuries that makes life rough. I think Ben should think about hanging it up. Ben has been beat like a punching bag and what will it take with some people to see the light ? Ryan and Troy need to evaluate their accomplishments and their future and with this, if either one of them haven't had their bells rung enough to know what's good for them, they should retire too.
    The NFL should have a weight limit for players. These giant size guys using their bodies as missiles to either tackle someone or to be tackled by a missile type player is too much for a person to withstand. Everyone wants bigger stronger and faster but look what it is doing to the players, to the game to the teams.
    We had weight limits when we played pop warner, junior varsity football, why not college and the NFL ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Well Fezz, you agree with most owners and Goodell. While that may sound like a slam it's not. I'm all about making the game safer, so guys like Troy don't have to eat their soup through a straw by the age of 50. While I don't agree with Goodells methods much of the time as application seems prejudicial and arbitrary...I agree with the underlying sentiment. Protect the players, extend their careers, and help them be able to enjoy life well into their 80s.
    Trolls are people too.

Administrator

User Info Menu

These players have free will. They don't need to gain that much weight and they don't need to continue playing. It's their choice.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    These players have free will. They don't need to gain that much weight and they don't need to continue playing. It's their choice.

You have a point. But, if you can make the game safer...why not do so? Do we really need to see helmet to helmet contact in order to be entertained? Why not develop better, safer equipment? Do we really need to see defenseless players leveled onto a stretcher? Tweaking of the rules and equipment can make the game safer while fans are still being entertained.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well Fezz, you agree with most owners and Goodell. While that may sound like a slam it's not. I'm all about making the game safer, so guys like Troy don't have to eat their soup through a straw by the age of 50. While I don't agree with Goodells methods much of the time as application seems prejudicial and arbitrary...I agree with the underlying sentiment. Protect the players, extend their careers, and help them be able to enjoy life well into their 80s.
    No one wants to see a player get hurt or have life long health issues but the fact is this is a collision sport. That is not a secret and players play it because they make a personal risk/reward evaluation and determoine the risks are worth the potential rewards. Anyone who at age 50 is having physical issues and says he didn't know this could happen because he played football is stupid or is a liar.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"