Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Does Everyone Assume...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i agree with this statement.
    i just want to know why is it that the steelers are the ones who routinely let these 'any given sunday' teams the chance to do it.
    The Ravens also did it...

Heck, the Saints have a losing record and took down the last undefeated team...it isn't just the Steelers....

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm aware the Rats barely beat KC... they actually beat the Rats but the refs Blossomed them out of the winning TD with a bogus illegal pick call.

I still can't use it as an excuse for our play yesterday. Its obvious to me that regardless of how good we are we will play our worst ball against bad teams while they play their best ball vs us.

there is a pattern and while it isn't 100% accurate I'm sure most of the board weren't shocked by this game. An analyst on sports radio responded to a Tebow fan when they brought up the Steeler win in the playoffs... he basically said to go out and ask any Steeler fan how shocked they were by the loss and watch them tell of typical Steeler let downs vs lesser opponents.

I'm glad we won but as soon as I heard KC has never led... I knew they would score first.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Ravens also did it...

Heck, the Saints have a losing record and took down the last undefeated team...it isn't just the Steelers....
    i bet the steelers do it more frequently than the other good teams

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm aware the Rats barely beat KC... they actually beat the Rats but the refs Blossomed them out of the winning TD with a bogus illegal pick call.

I still can't use it as an excuse for our play yesterday. Its obvious to me that regardless of how good we are we will play our worst ball against bad teams while they play their best ball vs us.

there is a pattern and while it isn't 100% accurate I'm sure most of the board weren't shocked by this game. An analyst on sports radio responded to a Tebow fan when they brought up the Steeler win in the playoffs... he basically said to go out and ask any Steeler fan how shocked they were by the loss and watch them tell of typical Steeler let downs vs lesser opponents.

I'm glad we won but as soon as I heard KC has never led... I knew they would score first.
    The Chiefs are talented on defense, have play makers on offense and are good at running the football. The Steelers have been struggling with stopping the run all year and last night was no different (although, the second half was better than the first even though the yardage totals were about the same for each half). Play solid defense, run the ball and and limit mistakes and you stay in games and that's what the Chiefs did last night with the exception of limiting the mistakes. Had they limited their mistakes I believe they win the game, too many drops on 3rd downs, penalties on offense on third down, penalties to keep Steeler drives alive and one crucial interception.

Too many mistakes to overcome, IMO. I'd be looking for a quarterback and the Chiefs will be in the hunt, Cassell just doesn't seem to have what it takes to be the #1 quarterback, he'd make a very good backup though.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    San Diego beat this team 31 -13 a week ago. They are 1-7 for a reason - They are not good. Matt Cassell is not a starting QB in this league (or shouldn't be). Steelers should have handeld this game better than they did. O came out looking terrible and really never got better (a lot of that is b/c Ben went out). Looked indifferent for a good bit of the game. They got a W b/c KC is so terrible and couldn't get oou of their own way. Thank goodness.
    Ravens couldn't score more than 9 points on the Chiefs. Are they terrible? They just walloped the Raiders 55-20, but still showed significant flaws in the win. So whats up?

Rookie

User Info Menu

I still can't use it as an excuse for our play yesterday.
    No need to...that would imply an excuse is needed...

Legend

User Info Menu

Once again, perceptions don't reflect reality. Since 2000, the Steelers:

Record against teams with losing records: 91-24 (79% win rate!)
    avg. margin in games won = 13.3
    avg. margin in games lost = -7.2

Record against teams with winning records: 42-43 (49% win rate!)
    avg. margin in games won = 11
    avg. margin in games lost = -10.2

Bottomline, the Steelers fair better against losing teams than winning teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If the Steelers aren't as good as their 6-3 record, the Chiefs certainly aren't as bad as their 1-8 record...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha