[url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20907990/steelers-notebook-it-hurts-to-laugh-but-rb-chris-rainey-still-plans-to-play[/url]

Steelers Notebook: It hurts to laugh, but RB Chris Rainey still plans to playBy Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com

November 9, 2012 7:07 pm ET

Steelers rookie RB Chris Rainey has sore ribs -- so sore, it hurts him to laugh. But he fully expects to be on the field Monday night when Pittsburgh plays the Chiefs. (US Presswire)
Teammates quickly recognized that rookie RB Chris Rainey is a fun-loving guy who likes to joke around.

Now, they're using it against him.

Rainey left Sunday's win over the New York Giants with sore ribs -- an injury that, while not impossible to play through, is generally quite painful while doing day-to-day activities.

Like laughing.

"I try to keep from laughing," Rainey said, "but the guys are trying to make me laugh on purpose.... Not fair."

Despite the heavy wrap Rainey's abdomen is under while he practices, Rainey expects to play Monday night against Kansas City.

"Oh, I'm definitely (playing)," Rainey said. "If I can still run, I'm definitely going."

Other injuries: With one exception, Pittsburgh's official practice report Friday was identical to the one it put out Thursday.

The one change wasn't a positive one. RT Marcus Gilbert didn't practice Friday. He practiced on a limited basis on Thursday -- the first time he's done even as much as that over the past three weeks.

WR Antonio Brown (ankle), S Troy Polamalu (calf) and LB Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) also did not practice Friday. None are expected to play Monday. RB Rashard Mendenhall (Achilles) was limited Friday and also is not expected to play against the Chiefs.

In addition to Rainey, RB Jonathan Dwyer (quadricep) and K Shaun Suisham (ankle) practiced fully and are on track to play.

Cotchery promoted: WR Jerricho Cotchery had opportunities to sign elsewhere as a free agent in the offseason. After seeing firsthand the talented young trio of WRs Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders ahead of him on the depth chart, he knew he'd be no more than a No. 4 option with the Steelers when he maybe could be a No. 2 or No. 3 on another team.

Cotchery didn't care. Now, his time has come for a more featured role.

"I knew what the situation was for me," Cotchery said. "It's where I want to be."

During three-receiver sets, Cotchery will fill WR Antonio Brown's role while WR Emmanuel Sanders goes back to the slot.

"I'll be all over the place," Cotchery said. "That's the saying around here -- 'The more you can do.'"

Follow Steelers reporter Chris Adamski on Twitter @CBSSteelers and @BuzzsawPGH.[url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20907990/steelers-notebook-it-hurts-to-laugh-but-rb-chris-rainey-still-plans-to-play[/url]