Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complicated = CRAP

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Complicated = CRAP

Isn't it interesting that the rebirth of our ground game, with different running backs, comes at a time when the team has simplified the plays, to the point of only using 5 different running plays last week. So, they make it simple, and our rushing games springs to life. How many times have you seen both defenses and offenses greatly improve and the players and coaches admit that they simply made the schemes more simple and much fewer different plays in nature. I remember during the days of that prolific Bills O, in the 1990s, where they only had 4 different rushing plays - toss right, sprint right, toss left, sprint left - and the audibles for Kelly were simply "IF the safety comes up, we pass, if he plays back, we run" and that was about it. And those teams were powerful on offense in those days.

I am so enthused that the Steelers figured out that repetition of a few plays beats out trying to get too tricky. Let's pray that they don't forget this lesson. They should have known it all along - that's the sad part - but "better late than never" at this point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Depends on if you can win one on one matchups or exploit a mismatch.

But when you lack talent, this doesn't necessarily work.

And you've got to avoid predictability because your opponent will figure out how to create a mismatch they can win.

The other thing the Bills had was a no huddle to keep Ds off balance with the pace. Pace can also throw a team out of rhythm. I like what NE's doing this year. If something works and they get the right matchup, speed it up and run the same play multiple times in a row quickly. They are combining simple and fast.

Legend

User Info Menu

So you are telling me that this run play was unnecessarily complicated?

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Suisham read the play wrong he should have passed it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Execution is more important than anything.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

Suisham should've audibled to a kick there.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Isn't it interesting that the rebirth of our ground game, with different running backs, comes at a time when the team has simplified the plays, to the point of only using 5 different running plays last week. So, they make it simple, and our rushing games springs to life. How many times have you seen both defenses and offenses greatly improve and the players and coaches admit that they simply made the schemes more simple and much fewer different plays in nature. I remember during the days of that prolific Bills O, in the 1990s, where they only had 4 different rushing plays - toss right, sprint right, toss left, sprint left - and the audibles for Kelly were simply "IF the safety comes up, we pass, if he plays back, we run" and that was about it. And those teams were powerful on offense in those days.

I am so enthused that the Steelers figured out that repetition of a few plays beats out trying to get too tricky. Let's pray that they don't forget this lesson. They should have known it all along - that's the sad part - but "better late than never" at this point.
    Don't think simplifying was the answer at all. It was already disclosed that Arians had only 4 run plays in his book and those run games sucked.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lonbull View Post
    Suisham read the play wrong he should have passed it.
    We could have had our own Garo Yepremian monent!

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

the Titans only had six different basic plays, and they won the Championship.

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Execution is more important than anything.
    Execution is hindered when you make it too complicated. The proof is in the pudding: They have reduced the play book to just a handful of rushing plays, where they get very practiced at, and that allows for better execution. Simple.