Thread: The Steelers Should Hire Chip Kelly or One of His Assistants

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers Should Hire Chip Kelly or One of His Assistants

Pretty interesting stuff:
    [url]http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201211/how-oregon-coach-chip-kelly-can-spark-moneyball-revolution-nfl[/url]

I've always wondered why teams don't go for it more often and play the odds.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only way we'll hire him is if we fire Tomlin
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

The NFL isn't college football. He can take these chances in college games because he knows he has the better athletes and football players 99% of the time. In the NFL the quality of player goes up exponentially every player is an NFL caliber player (obviously). In college the majority of the players will never step foot on an NFL football field as a player. If a team misses an opportunity for points in an NFL game, there is no guarantee that you will get that opportunity again in that particular game and if you do, you may be behind in the score by more than can be made up simply by having better athletes and football players.

In a college game against typically inferior opponents it's easy to go for it, because you are almost certain the opportunity will present itself again, based on talent level.

It will work some of the time, but I wouldn't expect to see NFL coaches jumping on that band wagon.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

I hate all of these high octane college offenses like Oregon that score 50+ points a game. I'd rather watch a team like Alabama or LSU that still runs the ball, plays good defense and wins championships.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Tomlin already does this, but not on as regular a basis...

The Steelers have made a 4th down attempt 9 times this season, good for a tie for 6th in the league...

The only team with a winning record to go for it on 4th down more often than the Steelers is the Seahawks...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    I hate all of these high octane college offenses like Oregon that score 50+ points a game. I'd rather watch a team like Alabama or LSU that still runs the ball, plays good defense and wins championships.
    They just simply have better athletes on offense that other colleges have on defense. They wouldn't hang 50 a game if they played Bama, LSU and other powerhouses instead of the weaker college teams, which is what you don't get in the NFL and is the reason no team dominates another in the NFL. Every team is capable of winning any given Sunday, the difference between 4-12 and 12-4 is miniscule over the course of a season, IMO, of course.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 11-08-2012 at 02:05 PM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    ehh... I don't have a problem with Oregon.. they played Auburn tough and almost beat them. I think they watered the grass with oil at Arizona stadium for that BCS game... a lot of slipping but IMO it was a great game.

My issue with SEC teams is the QB play... it's pretty stinky. Looking forward the A&M vs Bama... I don't think A&M can hang for 4 quarters but they should put up a good fight for 3 before running out of gas. They had a lot of SEC teams on the rope but they don't have enough players to hang all game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The NFL isn't college football. He can take these chances in college games because he knows he has the better athletes and football players 99% of the time. In the NFL the quality of player goes up exponentially every player is an NFL caliber player (obviously). In college the majority of the players will never step foot on an NFL football field as a player. If a team misses an opportunity for points in an NFL game, there is no guarantee that you will get that opportunity again in that particular game and if you do, you may be behind in the score by more than can be made up simply by having better athletes and football players.

In a college game against typically inferior opponents it's easy to go for it, because you are almost certain the opportunity will present itself again, based on talent level.

It will work some of the time, but I wouldn't expect to see NFL coaches jumping on that band wagon.

Pappy
    Some of it is talent. But I still think there could be average that help out. For example, going for 4th and 1 inside the RedZone instead of kicking a FG. If you convert 50%, you'd get 7 points vs 6.

Another example is why punt on 4th and short from the opponents side of the field. Sometimes you see teams go for it. Why not more often?

Even with evenly matched O vs D, I do think there's mathematical chances that teams don't play the odds. I'm not smart enough to know the formula. But I bet someone could take what Kelly's doing and tweak it for the NFL.