Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin voted "Coach Players Want To Play For Most"

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Tomlin voted "Coach Players Want To Play For Most"

Steelers Mike Tomlin voted "Coach Players Want To Play For Most" in Sporting News poll

By Neal Coolong on Nov 7

Steelers Mike Tomlin received 35 of 103 votes cast, a landslide winner in a Sporting News poll of current NFL players asked which coach they'd want to play for the most.

It was a "varsity football" victory for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

Although he probably cares little about the award, he has to appreciate somewhat the fact players chose Tomlin by more than a 3-to-1 margin over Patriots coach Bill Belichick as the coach players would want to play for, in a poll recently done by The Sporting News. Players could not choose their current coach.

Sports News quoted one player as saying:

What I liked about him the most is that he's very up front and honest with you. You kind of always know where you stand with him-good, bad or indifferent. You appreciate the honesty of knowing where you stand. And the other thing would be that he just kind of always says the right thing, whether it's to you, the group, the media. Once again, whether it's good, bad, he just kind of says the right thing. He's got that knack.

SN attributes the quote to an "NFC offensive player who used to play for Tomlin."

Making guesses on who it could have been, former Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth, who's now with Chicago, comes to mind. He was one of Tomlin's first draft picks, and played with him for four seasons. Detroit's Stefan Logan was with Tomlin's Steelers in 2009, a free agent signing. Former Steelers practice squad player Jamon Meredith is in Tampa Bay.

Green Bay's John Kuhn was released by Tomlin, so it wouldn't seem likely it was him.

Tomlin is 60-28 in five seasons and eight games into the 2012 year, with a Super Bowl championship, two AFC championships and three AFC North division titles.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/7/3614350/steelers-mike-tomlin-voted-coach-players-want-to-play-for-most-in[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I wonder how many of our guys voted for BA.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Duh... what did you think they would say? A loser like Whisenhunt?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Being the coach that most players want to play for? I guess that's nice. I'd place a higher value on the coach who gets the most out of his players or, especially, the coach that's the best at WINNING.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I wonder how many of our guys voted for BA.
    Betcha he got at least one vote.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Being the coach that most players want to play for? I guess that's nice. I'd place a higher value on the coach who gets the most out of his players or, especially, the coach that's the best at WINNING.
    60-28, 2 Super Bowl appearances, 1 win, 3 AFC North titles, 2 AFC championships huh?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    60-28, 2 Super Bowl appearances, 1 win, 3 AFC North titles, 2 AFC championships huh?

Pappy
    You mean that's better than losing more games than you have won and getting lucky and getting to one Super Bowl and losing like the guy in AZ. But we all know that he got to that one Super Bowl because of Dennis Green's guys
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-08-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Too bad we can't leverage this somehow to land some great FAs.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Too bad we can't leverage this somehow to land some great FAs.
    We have. Jerricho Cotchery, for one...

It's a cap issue, not a leverage issue...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    We have. Jerricho Cotchery, for one...

It's a cap issue, not a leverage issue...
    Exactly--the philosophy has always been to spend the money on your own not someone elses. Farrior and Cothery are both great examples of how we did dip into free agency foir the right player...maybe we should just focus on Jets players?

Our cap situation sucks right now because we are paying really big money to some defensive players who aren't earning their checks yet this season, i.e. Harrison and Polamalu. Because of restructuring contracts to retain players we will start the off season at something like $30M over the cap. Don't look for us to be active in free agency except for cutting players and making them free agents.