Thread: Shaun Suisham on pace to break Steelers FG record

Legend

User Info Menu

Shaun Suisham on pace to break Steelers FG record

Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham says missed kick at Titans hurt his feeling

By Neal Coolong on Nov 9

Veteran kicker already owns a share of the Steelers' record for field goal percentage in a season, and is on his way to beating that mark, hitting 17 of his first 18 kicks.

You have to love kickers sometimes.

In a rough-and-tumble game played by borderline psychotic competitors, there aren't usually room for feelings.

Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham isn't going to be seen as the toughest or the strongest player on the roster. He's seemingly ok with revealing his sensitive side, though.

Suisham is on his way to having the best kicking season in Steelers history, but he recently told Tribune-Review reporter Ralph Paulk he doesn't remember the good games. He does remember his misses, though.

"Obviously, it hurts my feelings when I miss a kick. I shouldn't have missed that kick in Tennessee."

That kick, a 54-yarder against the Tennessee Titans in Week 6, fell just a bit short, as the Steelers ended up losing 26-23 to fall to 2-3 on the season. He had hit a 52-yarder earlier in the game, but the one miss is Suisham's only miss this season.

He's 17-of-18 on the season, and a perfect 16-for-16 up to 50 yards. Only Suisham and St. Louis's Greg Zuerlein (7-for-7) are perfect from 40-49 yards on six or more attempts. Suisham's 8.6 points per game is the eighth-highest average in the NFL.

Suisham is tied with Gary Anderson for the team's regular season record for accuracy, having hit 93.3 percent (14-of-15) in 2010, after he replaced Jeff Reed in the middle of the season. He's at 94.4 percent heading into Week 10.

it's a great start to the season, especially considering Suisham was a question mark heading into 2012. He was 23-for-31 (6-for-11 from 40-49 yards, including 1-for-4 at Heinz Field), but he's been one of the most consistent players on the Steelers' roster.

The Steelers are averaging 23.9 points a game, including 25 points a game during their three-game winning streak that started the week after Pittsburgh's loss at Tennessee. As Suisham and the Steelers gear up for a prime time game Monday in Week 10 at Heinz Field against Kansas City, he'll take his icy, Canadian confidence and even-headed nature to a game that could require several field goals. He hit two at Heinz Field in prime time last year against the Chiefs, as the Steelers took the win 13-9.

Just don't expect him to call attention to himself, like the Steelers' kicker he replaced.

"I don't need a pat on the back, and I'm not looking for one."

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/9/3621842/steelers-kicker-shaun-suisham-special-teams-fantasy-football-nfl-week-9-chiefs[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Suisham on pace to break the record is actually a bad thing. It means we aren't getting the ball into the EZ as much as we should.