Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Years Draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Next Years Draft

It's mid season and with mid season I'm currious what players/position you feel at this time should be a draft priority ?

Safety
    Linebacker
    D-line

For me, whatever best available at the time for any of the three I mentioned.

Legend

User Info Menu

BPA, unless you just can't bypass a stud like Jason Worilds of course...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

TE, NT, OLB, ILB, S, CB

It's hard to say not knowing what may happen with guys health and FA before next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When you're drafting towards the 2nd half of the 1st round you MOST LIKELY aren't going to get a guy who's gonna start Day 1.

I'm thinking we address Defense this year early: Safety & ILB immediately come to mind.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

We need to go heavy on defense but oddly enough, I would stay away from d-line in the early rounds. Safeties and LBers are a must. The only offensive players I would draft would be a later round TE and possibly a WR.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm surprised you guys said TE. I think we have an excellent pair with Miller and the new guy. Is it Paulson or something like that. I know injuries, contracts retirement all have something to do with whom we pick but, this is just a crystal ball guess as for how you see this team today and possibly their needs if it was time to do the draft. It does seem like we always do well with number one draft picks at the TE position.
    Excellent point by Sidsmythe with our drafting position amongst the other teams, seldom do we get a pick so high or so talented from the start that, we can throw him into the fire on day one. Well it did work with Pouncey and possibly DeCastro had he not been injured. I think the defense is a more different scenario since everyone speak how difficult or cutting edge it is compared to other defenses.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Wallace leaves as a FA, is traded, or is signed to a one year tender, I think that a WR becomes a high priority. WRs typically take a year or two to develop, and if Wallace is gone, I think the Steelers will need another deep threat and/or a big WR to compliment Brown and Sanders.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My list in order of priority (I'll assume we don't resign any UFAs at this point to simplify things). In general this is a list of holes we will need to fill mostly through the draft. Of course, some of these holes will likely be filled by resigning a player or two from our current squad.

Possible early round/middle round targets...

S - Replacements for Troy and Clark must be groomed
    OLB - I believe Harrison will be cut. We need to pressure the QB better.
    OT - Max Starks is a UFA. If nothing changes, Gilbert and Adams are your tackles for next season. That will get Ben killed and there is absolutely no depth behind them. You may say that we have too many high choices invested in the line. I'll counter with, protecting Ben is the most important thing this team must do and this draft is loaded with pass protecting OT tackle talent. Besides, we all know Gilbert will not play in several games.
    CB- Keenan Lewis is a UFA
    WR - Speedy WR to replace Wallace and perhaps even a big red zone threat
    ILB - Foote has not been great, but he has gotten better. Perhaps Sylvestor or Spence can do the job. A big run stopping ILB with some short area coverage skills would be good.

Mid-round/later round targets

DL-draft someone who is ok in a base 3-4, but excels at getting after the passer on passing downs.
    RB - When Mendenhall goes, we could use some depth. Baron Batch has been awful so far. Dwyer and Redman are good but very similar types of backs. Rainey is very limited in what he can do because of his size. A back over 200 pounds with good explosiveness and receiving ability would be great.
    OL-interior offensive line depth may need to be added as Foster and Legs are UFAs, I believe.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    When you're drafting towards the 2nd half of the 1st round you MOST LIKELY aren't going to get a guy who's gonna start Day 1.

I'm thinking we address Defense this year early: Safety & ILB immediately come to mind.

I think you hit the nail on the head with our greatest needs. However if Wallace chooses not to be a Steeler any longer then that first pick may be best spent on a WR or maybe the top receiving TE in the draft who is usually still on the board around the time we select.

I would also not discount a good pass rushing OLB since Harrison is pretty much toast and if this isn't his last season with the team then the end is really near.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-08-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I'm surprised you guys said TE. I think we have an excellent pair with Miller and the new guy. Is it Paulson or something like that. I know injuries, contracts retirement all have something to do with whom we pick but, this is just a crystal ball guess as for how you see this team today and possibly their needs if it was time to do the draft. It does seem like we always do well with number one draft picks at the TE position.
    Excellent point by Sidsmythe with our drafting position amongst the other teams, seldom do we get a pick so high or so talented from the start that, we can throw him into the fire on day one. Well it did work with Pouncey and possibly DeCastro had he not been injured. I think the defense is a more different scenario since everyone speak how difficult or cutting edge it is compared to other defenses.
    Paulson is not a potential #1, he will always be a back up. We need to get guy at TE who can step in and be the #1 when Heath leaves or is injured. We have no one who can do that right now on the roster.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"