Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Next Years Draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

remember this name: cordarelle patterson WR, Tennessee

this guy is electric with the ball in his hands, would be a great round 2 pick if he declares. Maybe the most athletic guy on the hill since carl pickens. With wallace likely gone this may fill a need and give a bigger WR that the steelers need in the redzone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    remember this name: cordarelle patterson WR, Tennessee

this guy is electric with the ball in his hands, would be a great round 2 pick if he declares. Maybe the most athletic guy on the hill since carl pickens. With wallace likely gone this may fill a need and give a bigger WR that the steelers need in the redzone.
    Well he's already pretty much a household name. Some have him already creeping into the first round. With this being his first year ( JR. college transfer), I think he would be better suited to go back to Tennessee next year. My guy, (Terrance Williams ), is more polished than Patterson and just as electric. But good call on your part nonetheless.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

didn't know he was a household name already dub.

no doubt he needs to improve his route running, but I disagree that it would be better for him to return to tennessee as everyone here has bray bolting and no proven qb behind him. I actually think it would hurt his stock to return. His kick return skills are off the charts as well.

I like him better than justin hunter who is a projected top 20 pick, but is soft, IMO.
    Last edited by Eddie Spaghetti; 11-08-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    JPN, I always enjoy your draft insight. I agree with you some here. If James Harrison isn't brought back next year ($30 million over the cap next off season), then I think OLB is number 1 priority. If he does come back then I think replacing WR Mike Wallace is number 1. Then I want a real ILB....like Kevin Minter of LSU. He is a 3 down LB who plays well at all aspects of that position. I guarantee you, if the Steelers were to get one like him, Lebeau then can turn Timmons lose.
    I actually think Harrison & Wallace's fate are tied to each other. If the Steelers have intentions to franchise or lock up Wallace long term...Harrison's cap number-production will be the top of the list. That statement holds true even with a productive Harrison down the stretch. If Harrison continues to play the way he has...His lack of production will put his cap number on the top of the pile. To be honest, it is time.

In my opinion, I think the Steelers replacement plan for Wallace in 2013 is Sanders. I do not think the Steelers will do anything at WR inside the top 2 picks even if they let Wallace walk. Sanders will be here regardless and by the end of 2013 they will know what direction they need to go. I'm all for keeping Wallace here & hope that happens. That is my take on the situation.

I expect the LB core to have some new faces next year. Obvioulsy if Harrison isn't in the plans, which is my belief, they will need one asap. Pass rushers command big dollars in FA so that is why I think 1st round projection is a fit. The Spence injury is going to make things difficult to gauge at ILB. So I'm being optimistic but at the same time cautious. Minter is a good ball player. Of course Te'o would be sweeter if we were going that route but he played himself out of the Steelers reach. If you are saying Minter falls to us in the 2nd & Spence is a concern...He would be a great additon.

I'm a PSU homer but everyone on this board knows I very seldon have any luv for a PSU LB coming out. I passed on all PP & Lee...Did like Bowman though. Hodges is a kid who has caught my eye. He looks like he could be inside in a 3-4 but has pass rush & cover skills too. He is alot like Timmons in his skill set and that seems to be the mold of the LBs the Steelers are looking for in this pass heavy league. If the Steelers have their doubts about Spence or feel he may not be ready, I would consider Hodges in that 2nd-3rd range.

I like this draft so far as it relates to the Steelers needs. I like what I see in rounds 1-3 at OLB & S and even ILB if that is an area of concern. It is early, but I would love to see below. If anything, I expect all of them up the boards.

For my 1st Rd pick, If he comes out, can he fall to the Steelers. I know about his POM charge after his freshman season too. Kid has that "WOW" factor. My 2nd Rd pick will have some great vets to learn from for a year and a pretty good DB coach. My 3rd Rd pick, like I said, if there is a concern would be a good pick.

RD 1 - Damontre Moore OLB
    RD 2 - TJ McDonald S
    RD 3 - Gerald Hodges ILB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I actually think Harrison & Wallace's fate are tied to each other. If the Steelers have intentions to franchise or lock up Wallace long term...Harrison's cap number-production will be the top of the list. That statement holds true even with a productive Harrison down the stretch. If Harrison continues to play the way he has...His lack of production will put his cap number on the top of the pile. To be honest, it is time.

In my opinion, I think the Steelers replacement plan for Wallace in 2013 is Sanders. I do not think the Steelers will do anything at WR inside the top 2 picks even if they let Wallace walk. Sanders will be here regardless and by the end of 2013 they will know what direction they need to go. I'm all for keeping Wallace here & hope that happens. That is my take on the situation.

I expect the LB core to have some new faces next year. Obvioulsy if Harrison isn't in the plans, which is my belief, they will need one asap. Pass rushers command big dollars in FA so that is why I think 1st round projection is a fit. The Spence injury is going to make things difficult to gauge at ILB. So I'm being optimistic but at the same time cautious. Minter is a good ball player. Of course Te'o would be sweeter if we were going that route but he played himself out of the Steelers reach. If you are saying Minter falls to us in the 2nd & Spence is a concern...He would be a great additon.

I'm a PSU homer but everyone on this board knows I very seldon have any luv for a PSU LB coming out. I passed on all PP & Lee...Did like Bowman though. Hodges is a kid who has caught my eye. He looks like he could be inside in a 3-4 but has pass rush & cover skills too. He is alot like Timmons in his skill set and that seems to be the mold of the LBs the Steelers are looking for in this pass heavy league. If the Steelers have their doubts about Spence or feel he may not be ready, I would consider Hodges in that 2nd-3rd range.

I like this draft so far as it relates to the Steelers needs. I like what I see in rounds 1-3 at OLB & S and even ILB if that is an area of concern. It is early, but I would love to see below. If anything, I expect all of them up the boards.

For my 1st Rd pick, If he comes out, can he fall to the Steelers. I know about his POM charge after his freshman season too. Kid has that "WOW" factor. My 2nd Rd pick will have some great vets to learn from for a year and a pretty good DB coach. My 3rd Rd pick, like I said, if there is a concern would be a good pick.

RD 2 - TJ McDonald S
    RD 3 - Gerald Hodges ILB
    I really like Hodges too and I think he will be a riser in the draft. We may nor be able to wait until Round 3 to get him.

My candidate for the #1 pick is Eric Reid. The dude can flat out play and I have no faith in Troy being reliable anymore.

I would go:

Round 1: Eric Reid (if he declares)
    Round 2: LB (Inside or Outside) best available
    Round 3: TE or WR
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    JPN, I always enjoy your draft insight. I agree with you some here. If James Harrison isn't brought back next year ($30 million over the cap next off season), then I think OLB is number 1 priority. If he does come back then I think replacing WR Mike Wallace is number 1. Then I want a real ILB....like Kevin Minter of LSU. He is a 3 down LB who plays well at all aspects of that position. I guarantee you, if the Steelers were to get one like him, Lebeau then can turn Timmons lose.
    I like the approach in your sig, Dub. Getting a replacement for Wallace lined up is a must (unless he signs an extension), but after that, need to see some reloading on D.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

RD 2 - TJ McDonald S
    RD 3 - Gerald Hodges ILB
    JPN for what it's worth, some now have Damontre Moore going in the top 5. Gbnreport.com has him at 3rd overall. With guys like Barkevious Mingo dropping Moore has been steady climbing the first round draft board. He is a real player. I see some Demarcus Ware in him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with a defense-heavy draft next year, and I like the two-fer strategy at one position that we've tended to use more often than not during the Tomlin era.

At this point, gimme:

1. Eric Reid, S, LSU

2. Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma

3. Mike Mauti, ILB, Penn State

4. Baker Steinkuhler, DE, Nebraska
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I agree with a defense-heavy draft next year, and I like the two-fer strategy at one position that we've tended to use more often than not during the Tomlin era.

At this point, gimme:

1. Eric Reid, S, LSU

2. Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma

3. Mike Mauti, ILB, Penn State

4. Baker Steinkuhler, DE, Nebraska
    I'd be happy with this. Tony Jefferson can play all over the secondary, at or near the LOS, over the slot, and at the top of the box. He plays sneaky quick. Eric Reid is a big time talent who I think plays better in the pass happy NFL than he has in college.

Legend

User Info Menu

I really like Walter Football's latest 3 round mock draft:

Pittsburgh Steelers:

Round 1) Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia

The Steelers wanted Dont'a Hightower, but David DeCastro was just too good to pass up at No. 24 this past April. Pittsburgh now has few needs, but one of them is still at inside linebacker. Maybe the team will still end up with an SEC linebacker.

Round 2) Sean Porter, DE/OLB, Texas A&M

James Harrison may not be back next year. He'll be due $6.6 million as a 35-year-old who is having trouble staying healthy. The Steelers may spend an early pick on a rush linebacker.

Round 3) Shawn Williams, S, Georgia

Troy Polamalu can't seem to get healthy, while Ryan Clark, who just turned 33, will be entering his contract year. The Steelers need to get younger at safety.

[URL]http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013.php[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha