Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Next Years Draft

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,800

    Next Years Draft

    It's mid season and with mid season I'm currious what players/position you feel at this time should be a draft priority ?

    Safety
    Linebacker
    D-line

    For me, whatever best available at the time for any of the three I mentioned.

  2. #2
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,722
    BPA, unless you just can't bypass a stud like Jason Worilds of course...

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    TE, NT, OLB, ILB, S, CB

    It's hard to say not knowing what may happen with guys health and FA before next year.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,523
    When you're drafting towards the 2nd half of the 1st round you MOST LIKELY aren't going to get a guy who's gonna start Day 1.

    I'm thinking we address Defense this year early: Safety & ILB immediately come to mind.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    When you're drafting towards the 2nd half of the 1st round you MOST LIKELY aren't going to get a guy who's gonna start Day 1.

    I'm thinking we address Defense this year early: Safety & ILB immediately come to mind.

    I think you hit the nail on the head with our greatest needs. However if Wallace chooses not to be a Steeler any longer then that first pick may be best spent on a WR or maybe the top receiving TE in the draft who is usually still on the board around the time we select.

    I would also not discount a good pass rushing OLB since Harrison is pretty much toast and if this isn't his last season with the team then the end is really near.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-08-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #6
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,375
    We need to go heavy on defense but oddly enough, I would stay away from d-line in the early rounds. Safeties and LBers are a must. The only offensive players I would draft would be a later round TE and possibly a WR.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,800
    I'm surprised you guys said TE. I think we have an excellent pair with Miller and the new guy. Is it Paulson or something like that. I know injuries, contracts retirement all have something to do with whom we pick but, this is just a crystal ball guess as for how you see this team today and possibly their needs if it was time to do the draft. It does seem like we always do well with number one draft picks at the TE position.
    Excellent point by Sidsmythe with our drafting position amongst the other teams, seldom do we get a pick so high or so talented from the start that, we can throw him into the fire on day one. Well it did work with Pouncey and possibly DeCastro had he not been injured. I think the defense is a more different scenario since everyone speak how difficult or cutting edge it is compared to other defenses.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I'm surprised you guys said TE. I think we have an excellent pair with Miller and the new guy. Is it Paulson or something like that. I know injuries, contracts retirement all have something to do with whom we pick but, this is just a crystal ball guess as for how you see this team today and possibly their needs if it was time to do the draft. It does seem like we always do well with number one draft picks at the TE position.
    Excellent point by Sidsmythe with our drafting position amongst the other teams, seldom do we get a pick so high or so talented from the start that, we can throw him into the fire on day one. Well it did work with Pouncey and possibly DeCastro had he not been injured. I think the defense is a more different scenario since everyone speak how difficult or cutting edge it is compared to other defenses.
    Paulson is not a potential #1, he will always be a back up. We need to get guy at TE who can step in and be the #1 when Heath leaves or is injured. We have no one who can do that right now on the roster.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Paulson is not a potential #1, he will always be a back up. We need to get guy at TE who can step in and be the #1 when Heath leaves or is injured. We have no one who can do that right now on the roster.
    I disagree...

    It just depends upon how we choose to use the #2 TE...

    Matt Spaeth often got killed on this board, but somehow was able to produce at a starter caliber level when called upon...for example, when Heath Miller missed two games in 2008, Spaeth came up with 12 receptions over those two games...

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I disagree...

    It just depends upon how we choose to use the #2 TE...

    Matt Spaeth often got killed on this board, but somehow was able to produce at a starter caliber level when called upon...for example, when Heath Miller missed two games in 2008, Spaeth came up with 12 receptions over those two games...
    Paulson doesn't have Spaeth's size and I doubt he can block as well. I do agree that Spaeth was unjustly "killed" on this board. Not his fault Arians didn't know how to use TEs.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •