Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers to promote WR David Gilreath in wake of Antonio Brown injury

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers to promote WR David Gilreath in wake of Antonio Brown injury

Steelers to promote WR David Gilreath to the active roster in wake of Antonio Brown injury

By Neal Coolong on Nov 7

Such a move would all but confirm Brown's absence for the Steelers' Week 10 game against the Kansas City Chiefs. It would also bring with it the removal of a player from the 53-man roster.

Tribune-Review reporter Mark Kaboly tweeted Wednesday the Steelers plan to sign wide receiver David Gilreath from its practice squad before the Steelers' Week 10 game on Monday Night Football against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The move would be in response to the ankle injury suffered by WR Antonio Brown in Week 9 against the Giants. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Brown isn't expected to play in Week 10. Signing Gilreath would essentially be a confirmation of that.

The Steelers announced earlier Wednesday they signed free agenty WR Derek Moye to their practice squad, so clearly another move will follow.

Without Brown, the Steelers would only have three wide receivers active, barring a move, so clearly the Gilreath move is coming, and Brown won't play Monday.

Pittsburgh has been living by the run the last three games anyway, and elimination of seldom-used 4WR sets - assuming tight end Heath Miller isn't used as the fourth wide receiver in that formation - wouldn't hurt much.

Gilreath performed well in the preseason, prompting some to push for his inclusion on the team's active roster at the beginning of the year. He was cut and resigned to the team's practice squad.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/7/3613884/steelers-roster-transactions-moves-fantasy-football-injury-news-antonio-brown-week-10l[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm more interested to see if they trust Gilreath with return duties so we don't risk Sanders getting hurt. Tomlin tends to be pretty cautious about who he puts back there especially on punts.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm more interested to see if they trust Gilreath with return duties so we don't risk Sanders getting hurt. Tomlin tends to be pretty cautious about who he puts back there especially on punts.
    I disagree. If Rainey and Brown are out, Sanders must return punts and probably kickoffs as well. First, we need to win this game. We cannot afford to lose another game to a bad team. Second, ball security is paramount here. I trust Sanders far more than a rookie in his first pro game with NFL players bearing down on him at full speed.

It would suck if Sanders got hurt, but the stakes are high right now. We must play our best players.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Who gets released with the Gilreath promotion?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Who gets released with the Gilreath promotion?
    Haven't heard yet. Which young guy would they risk exposing? Demarcus Van Dyke? Kelvin Beachum? Adrian Robinson? Robert Golden? Alameda Ta'Amu? Or might they cut someone like Charlie Batch (his yearly salary is already guaranteed and he is typically inactive on gamedays anyway) and then sign him back next week?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

by Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

With Antonio Brown and Chris Rainey both ailing, Emmanuel Sanderscould be the key to the Steelers return game this week.

“Emmanuel looked like a pretty good option to me last week,” said Tomlin. “The ball will be in his court first.”

He won’t be alone in being asked to step up, but Tomlin will also be cautious how he uses certain players.

“We’ve got capable candidates, some of which are limited in terms of what we will allow or ask them to do,” said Tomlin. “But we have capable guys. Mike Wallace has returned kicks in the past. We’ll leave no stone unturned in terms of being competent in that area and I know that we have a lot of guys that are willing and capable volunteers.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-We’re-growing-and-doing-it-better/8c3380fb-af6f-4273-bf5f-905867c60117[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't now if Gilreath will get a chance to play or not this weekend but, he did impress me during the preseason. I would have thought by now another team would have picked him up off of our PS. If per chance he does play this weekend and for some reason he shines like a pro bowler, wonder if the Steelers would allow him back on the PS in fear someone signs him plus, Wallace might be gone after this season and we will need someone to follow the ranks.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers announced earlier Wednesday they signed free agenty WR Derek Moye to their practice squad, so clearly another move will follow.
    Transactions

11/07/2012 Added WR Derek Moye to the Practice Squad; Released TE Jamie McCoy from the Practice Squad

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/index.html[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I wanna see Wally return a kick or 2.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Haven't heard yet. Which young guy would they risk exposing? Demarcus Van Dyke? Kelvin Beachum? Adrian Robinson? Robert Golden? Alameda Ta'Amu? Or might they cut someone like Charlie Batch (his yearly salary is already guaranteed and he is typically inactive on gamedays anyway) and then sign him back next week?
    Van Dyke may have fallen out of favor with his ST blunders.

Beachum might be a possibility with Malecki still sitting on the PS.

Can't see it being Golden while Troy still ails. He might be one injury away.

Ta'amu would have been gone already if he was going I would think - but same line of reasoning would have followed Saunders too.

Batch is a possibility, they have done it before on a one week basis.