Thread: Could Steelers / Saints Be The SuperBowl Matchup

Legend

User Info Menu

Could Steelers / Saints Be The SuperBowl Matchup

Early in the season when Goodell put his sights on New Orleans as the other team he hate, I've been rooting for a Saints / Steelers SuperBowl.

Early in the season, both of these teams seemed to be falling apart. But at the midway point, these might be 2 of the best teams in the NFL.

I was surprised last week to see the Steelers dismantle the Giants. Then this week, NO took it to Atlanta. The score was a lot closer than the play on the field. As badly maligned as NO defense is, they looked pretty darn good to me.

They got pressure on Atlanta with their front 4. They shut down Atlanta's running game. If Drew Brees didn't throw an INT on his first pass, Atlanta would have never been in this game.

And much like the Steelers all of a sudden playing good D, the Saints also have a spark in their running game all of a sudden. I've never seen this Chris Ivory kid before yesterday, but boy is he a violent runner. He's bringing the contact every touch.

As surprised as I am, it looks like there's 2 teams with momentum. NO and Pittsburgh. Who'd have thought? I'd love to see Goodell have to hand one of these teams the next Lombardi. Hopefully the Steelers of course. I want to see this matchup nightmare for the NFL. And it might not be so far fetched.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chris Ivory has been their best runner since his rookie year 3 years ago. Why he was deactivated for the first 7 games while their running game struggled is beyond comprehension.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Chris Ivory has been their best runner since his rookie year 3 years ago. Why he was deactivated for the first 7 games while their running game struggled is beyond comprehension.
    I don't get why they wouldn't play him. He's a phenom. I don't ever get to watch the Saints play and I couldn't figure out why he got so few carries. Maybe it has something to do with him being a UDFA from Tiffin.

If he becomes a FA and they don't want him, we should take him off their hands.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers-Giants would be my favorite match-up. Two tradition teams who do it right.

Steelers-Bears could be fun too.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Steelers-Giants would be my favorite match-up. Two tradition teams who do it right.

Steelers-Bears could be fun too.
    +1
    Steelers win SB with in a game dominated by defense 14-6
    Troy is MVP, channelling Charles Jefferson of Ridgemont High, 2 INT 3 sacks and 1 forced fumble

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chances are the Saints will have to go on the Road in November and unless it's too Atlanta they'll be toast.
    Especially when this team has NO commitment to the RUN. NONE!!
    Come January if your game plan means throwing 50 times in a game then you're going to lose.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If you think Sean Payton is a good coach (which I think he is), then you can't see them going all the way to the Super Bowl. They won yesterday because they had a familiar opponent (never mind the record) and their back was against the wall.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd like to see the Steelers against the Falcons in the Big One. They do well against bird teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Early in the season when Goodell put his sights on New Orleans as the other team he hate, I've been rooting for a Saints / Steelers SuperBowl.
    So it is not Pittsburgh specifically that he hates but Black and Gold wherever it is found?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    So it is not Pittsburgh specifically that he hates but Black and Gold wherever it is found?
    I guess it's a good thing Purdue isn't under his jurisdiction!