Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Fast!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I don't think there is anyone who wants MW to leave or doesn't appreciate his speed. In fact we all love it! It's a matter of how much that speed will cost the team. Is it $5M a year speed, $8M a year speed, or 10M a year speed and for how many years? Legitimate questions. His speed is elite but overall; I don't think he is worth a double-digit in millions yearly salary.
    Wallace has top dollar speed but he doesn't have top dollar receiving skills. Here is the problem:

1. Already $25-30M over the cap at end of season
    2. Need to sign Wallace to probably a Top 10 WR contract.
    3. Also need to sign or tender: Keenan Lewis, Max Starks, Rashard Mendenhall, Issac Redman, Manny Sanders, Ramon Foster, maybe even Dwyer, others?
    4. Need to negotiate an extension for Maurkice Pouncey
    5. May have to restructure and extend Colon to keep him.
    5. Big new TV money doesn't help until 2014.

This is going to be an extremely tough job for the front office because they are going to have to release a number of players or get them to significantly restructure their contracts. No way they pay Harrison $8-9M next year. Same for Troy. Hampton and his $2+M will have to go. Foote should go, but we have no one to replace him. Kiesel will have to take a cut to stay (he will).
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Wallace has top dollar speed but he doesn't have top dollar receiving skills. Here is the problem:

1. Already $25-30M over the cap at end of season
    2. Need to sign Wallace to probably a Top 10 WR contract.
    3. Also need to sign or tender: Keenan Lewis, Max Starks, Rashard Mendenhall, Issac Redman, Manny Sanders, Ramon Foster, maybe even Dwyer, others?
    4. Need to negotiate an extension for Maurkice Pouncey
    5. May have to restructure and extend Colon to keep him.

This is going to be an extremely tough job for the front office because they are going to have to release a humber of players or get them to significantly restructure their contracts. No way they pay Harrison $8-9M next year. Same for Troy. Hampton and his $2+M will have to go. Foote should go, but we have no one to replace him. Kiesel will have to take a cut to stay (he will).
    If we have to pay all these guys big money, they better help us win a big game first. I say we pay the guys that will win us SuperBowls.

Starter

User Info Menu

Wallace generally has had good hands. A few more drops this year than prior years, but in my mind, it's not a big issue

Wallace now has five drops in six games this season, which accounts for 10.4 percent of his targets. This is very unusual for Wallace, who had only dropped passes on 2.9 percent of his targets in his first three seasons in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He had never dropped more than four passes in a single season.

Backup

User Info Menu

We all want to keep Wallace, but not for what he is asking. I cant imagine paying him more than Brown, not any more at least. And it looks like K. Lewis is making himself a bit more expensive with his play this season..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Wallace generally has had good hands. A few more drops this year than prior years, but in my mind, it's not a big issue

I think the drops are because he is being asked to run more short to intermediate routes where the ball is actually getting to him to be counted as a drop. A lot of the long bombs he would miss in previous years never touched his hands so they couldn't be marked down as a drop.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    We all want to keep Wallace, but not for what he is asking. I cant imagine paying him more than Brown, not any more at least. And it looks like K. Lewis is making himself a bit more expensive with his play this season..
    I could see Wallace getting $500K to $1M per year more than Brown but not more than that. The problem with Wallace is that when his greatest asset goes, his speed, it will go fast and his other WR skills are not elite enough to make him still worth that money. IMO Brown has the elite WR skills that will translate well into his early 30s when he will be able to be a Hines-like player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I could see Wallace getting $500K to $1M per year more than Brown but not more than that. The problem with Wallace is that when his greatest asset goes, his speed, it will go fast and his other WR skills are not elite enough to make him still worth that money. IMO Brown has the elite WR skills that will translate well into his early 30s when he will be able to be a Hines-like player.
    Brown probably has better hands and runs better routes, but as much as I like Brown, I think he is best suited as a #2. I do think he could have more longevity, but any issues with Wallace likely wouldn't be seen until after he finishes a second contract.

Managing the cap seems as though it will be particularly difficult this year, but the FO will find a way to keep the guys they want. They always do.

Backup

User Info Menu

In this offense Brown can certainly be a #1 something like a Steve Smith for the panthers.. Browns rise reminds me of Hines.. every year we always wanted someone better, someone taller, someone faster and all he did was Carve out a hall of fame Career..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    In this offense Brown can certainly be a #1 something like a Steve Smith for the panthers.. Browns rise reminds me of Hines.. every year we always wanted someone better, someone taller, someone faster and all he did was Carve out a hall of fame Career..

That is exactly how I see it too. He may not get the accolades or the ESPN highlight clips, but he gets the job done and will for a long time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Brown probably has better hands and runs better routes, but as much as I like Brown, I think he is best suited as a #2. I do think he could have more longevity, but any issues with Wallace likely wouldn't be seen until after he finishes a second contract.

Managing the cap seems as though it will be particularly difficult this year, but the FO will find a way to keep the guys they want. They always do.
    The question is whether they are willing to tie up approximately $18M (about 15%) of the $120.6M salary cap for two WRs. That will be a very different approach for the Steelers. They have done it without hesitation for defense units like LB and DB, but never WR.