Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stop Listening to Me - Mike Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msp26505 View Post
    I don't think I'd limit this to just chat.
    You're probably right. I'm always a little off (or on depending on how you choose to look at it).

It just feels like my overreactions are most extreme in chat. And I can't type as fast as I think. If we ever get to that point, you guys are in for a treat. Based on some of the stuff I read from some of yinz, I think you share my in game tourette's.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    maybe you should consider starting, might help to balance you out...
    i have before and it has the complete opposite effect on me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Upon Further Review: Steelers

NOV 5
    By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Revisiting the Pittsburgh Steelers' 24-20 win at the New York Giants:

The Steelers' Mike Tomlin tied Chuck Knox as the fourth-fastest to reach 60 victories among coaches who began their careers since 1970. Tomlin notched the milestone win 88 games, which is faster than Bill Cowher (90 games).

But Sunday's game was far from Tomlin's finest moment as a coach. Down by three to the Giants in the fourth quarter, Tomlin called for a fake field goal on fourth-and-1. The risky decision -- which involved flipping the ball to kicker Shaun Suisham for a run to the right -- resulted in a 1-yard loss and could've cost Pittsburgh the game.

Instead, the Steelers' defense forced the Giants to punt from the 7-yard line after that failed trickery. Ben Roethlisberger then led the Steelers on a winning 51-yard touchdown drive that got Tomlin off the hook.

"I took a shot and the guys backed my play like I knew they would and I appreciate that," Tomlin said. "They overcame bad coaching sometimes and that's on me."

Tomlin has done a great coaching job this season, keeping the Steelers from falling apart after disappointing road losses and a run of injuries. But he didn't need to take such a gamble in the fourth quarter when the Steelers had just regained the momentum.

STAT THAT STICKS: 88.9 -- Roethlisberger's completion rate on third downs against the Giants. He completed 8 of 9 passes on third downs, averaging 10.3 yards per attempt and throwing one touchdown.

OVERHEARD: "I saw a lot of NFL superstar millionaires sleeping on the floor pregame in the hotel [lobby] with rolled-up shirts as pillows. But, hey, football's football. You put the ball down on the grass, and we'll play." Linebacker Larry Foote told USA Today on the Steelers arriving hours before kickoff Sunday to play at the Giants.

WHAT'S NEXT: The Steelers (5-3) play host to the last-place Chiefs (1-7) on "Monday Night Football." Pittsburgh is 0-2 in prime-time games this season.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/58379/upon-further-review-steelers-22[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You're probably right. I'm always a little off (or on depending on how you choose to look at it).

It just feels like my overreactions are most extreme in chat. And I can't type as fast as I think. If we ever get to that point, you guys are in for a treat. Based on some of the stuff I read from some of yinz, I think you share my in game tourette's.
    Chat is cathartic and often humorous, much cameraderie, full of spirit, never zen-like. And the book reviews are interesting.

I get finger tourettes when I try to type chat on my Nook.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    And the book reviews are interesting.

Nicely played.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I finally figured out what was in my sub conscience when I said go for the fake field goal.

Tomlin needed to send a signal to his D and the rest of the NFL, I trust you guys. So much so that I can afford to be nonchalant in my calls cause I know you guys will back me up.

It was the complete opposite of going for it on 4th down at our own 30 yard line.

That call may have been the dumbest call ever, but it was brilliantly played. It was simply a call to motivate.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin should have tried running Suisham last year when he sucked and none of us would have minded if he got hurt.

This year, though, Sushi's money, and now Tomlin risks injury to our kicker by giving him a goal line carry as a running back.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Tomlin should have tried running Suisham last year when he sucked and none of us would have minded if he got hurt.

This year, though, Sushi's money, and now Tomlin risks injury to our kicker by giving him a goal line carry as a running back.
    I don't understand why teams use a freakin punter to be the holder. Why not the backup quarterback, then if you want to fake you at least have a player that is capable of making an NFL type pass to a receiver. Using the punter as the holder is like having teats on a boar, useless.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't understand why teams use a freakin punter to be the holder. Why not the backup quarterback, then if you want to fake you at least have a player that is capable of making an NFL type pass to a receiver. Using the punter as the holder is like having teats on a boar, useless.

Pappy
    I also thought that Pappy. When we had Dixon as a backup QB I always wanted them to use him as a holder.

Now to further embarass myself I called for that fake as soon as the FG team ran on to the field. I thought there was no way the Giants would be looking for it. I guess that's the reason I am sitting in my recliner on Sunday afternoons instead of being on a football field.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!