Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I wish I were smarter, so I could figure out what our D is doing differently lately -

Legend

User Info Menu

I wish I were smarter, so I could figure out what our D is doing differently lately -

We're not getting burned in the 2ndary every 2nd play, but why not? It's not like we're getting more sacks, are we getting more pressures? I'd say maybe the QBs haven't been as good that we're facing, but that was Eli "4th Qrtr" Manning out there. Is it just one of those things without a real reason, or is there a concrete reason?

Enquiring minds want to know, but first ...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Perhaps the senile one had a plan all along. Maybe he realize that we were just a tweak or two away, not an armageddon. We had our horrible DBs line up against two premiere WRs, we had our worst DL in the league trying to stuff a good back and a clutch QB but somehow our gameplan won out. We faced a rookie sensation the week before and held him to twelve points and a season low rushing total. It might not look like Steeler D is supposed to be played but it has been more effective lately.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers are playing alot of man press coverage, two-deep safeties, and the CB's are up to it. Dungy just showed that on NBC. Also, Ike was matching up with Salsa in the slot and did fairly well with the assignment. Then there was the pressure on Eli. What was he tonight, 10 of 24?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it has a lot to do with Keenan Lewis stepping up BIG and Ike Taylor returning to his old form.

Here's another thought I've had lately...Troy Polamalu needs Ryan Clark to allow him to be as great as he is, but Ryan Clark is a better player when Troy is not playing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Steelers are playing alot of man press coverage, two-deep safeties, and the CB's are up to it. Dungy just showed that on NBC. Also, Ike was matching up with Salsa in the slot and did fairly well with the assignment. Then there was the pressure on Eli. What was he tonight, 10 of 24?
    This is it and for those of you who remember my rants over the past few seasons, it's that evolution in LeBeau's play-calling, which has made the difference. Ike Taylor's hands are still way to sticky for me, but he and Lewis have been jamming guys and staying with them.

We've also gotten a lot of consistent pressure (without the sacks) and our run defense has been stouty lately.

Great job in all phases of the game and way to overcome adversity!!!!

I wanted to add the word discipline.

Not only good coverage in man and zone, but good gap integrity, good tackling, and no break-downs.
    Last edited by Flasteel; 11-04-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

The team won so it gives fans less reason to nit pick over every little issue.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I haven't been seeing a whole lot of 10-yard cushions lately.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with Keenan Lewis stepping up BIG and Ike Taylor returning to his old form.

Here's another thought I've had lately...Troy Polamalu needs Ryan Clark to allow him to be as great as he is, but Ryan Clark is a better player when Troy is not playing.
    It's absolutely this, plus our other corners are playing in sound fashion and Will Allen has actually been a bright spot at safety. Our secondary is just playing very well and it's getting offenses off the field. Just imagine when Harrison is actually in form and Troy is back in the fold. Playing press coverage with troy in to also blitz or drop back and Harrison at full strength will wreak havoc.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post

Clark is just asked to do more when Troy is out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Clark is just asked to do more when Troy is out.

Yes, but also a more traditional role. When Troy is playing it seems his main job is to make sure Troy's a** is covered when he does crazy stuff.