Thread: First Justin Tuck, now Nicks/Cruz are whining about defensive holding by Steeler DB's

Legend

User Info Menu

First Justin Tuck, now Nicks/Cruz are whining about defensive holding by Steeler DB's

Nicks, Cruz think the Steelers defensive backs get away with holding
    Posted by Josh Alper on November 4, 2012, 8:21 AM EST

Wide receivers Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks got the memo about using the media as a venue to plead for holding calls in advance of games, but someone with the Giants needs to work with them on their phrasing.

Unlike offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride and defensive end Justin Tuck, Nicks and Cruz forgot to accuse Steelers defensive backs of getting away with murder when they went public with their feelings that the Steelers hold opposing receivers without penalty from the officials. Nicks said cornerback Ike Taylor was the main culprit in a secondary that grabs “a lot” and Cruz said he expects to be held on every play.

“It’s pretty blatant how they do it,” Cruz said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “Some of it’s not being called, and some of it is, so we just have to be prepared to fight through it no matter what happens. And no matter what the down and distance is, expect to be held, expect to be grabbed and just continue to fight.”

Tuck said earlier this week that the Steelers offensive line was getting away with murder by frequently holding defensive players. Gilbride elicited a rather dramatic reaction from 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh when he used the same phrase to call attention to the San Francisco defensive line a few weeks ago.

The Steelers are allowing the fewest passing yards per game of any team in the league thus far. They’ve also been penalized seven times per game, more than all but seven teams in the league, and they have been called for defensive holding nine times. That’s the most of any team in the league and the Giants would obviously like to see them add to their lead in that category this Sunday.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/04/nicks-cruz-think-the-steelers-defensive-backs-get-away-with-holding/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hopefully the refs are a little more professional than to be influenced by this but I'm concerned they won't be.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Hopefully the refs are a little more professional than to be influenced by this but I'm concerned they won't be.
    I'm alright with it provided that they are equally vigilant for both teams...

The Steelers are totally in their heads...

Legend

User Info Menu

Glad to hear the offense is afraid of our defense too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the giants are embarrasing themselves with all of the whining in the press.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's like they're setting up a preemptive excuse for a loss before the game is actually played. When the game is over they already know what they're gonna say at the press conference. "See, told you they get a way with murder."
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I think they should all just shut the Tuck up...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Head games. Proof is on the field.