Nicks, Cruz think the Steelers defensive backs get away with holding
Posted by Josh Alper on November 4, 2012, 8:21 AM EST
Wide receivers Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks got the memo about using the media as a venue to plead for holding calls in advance of games, but someone with the Giants needs to work with them on their phrasing.
Unlike offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride and defensive end Justin Tuck, Nicks and Cruz forgot to accuse Steelers defensive backs of getting away with murder when they went public with their feelings that the Steelers hold opposing receivers without penalty from the officials. Nicks said cornerback Ike Taylor was the main culprit in a secondary that grabs “a lot” and Cruz said he expects to be held on every play.
“It’s pretty blatant how they do it,” Cruz said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “Some of it’s not being called, and some of it is, so we just have to be prepared to fight through it no matter what happens. And no matter what the down and distance is, expect to be held, expect to be grabbed and just continue to fight.”
Tuck said earlier this week that the Steelers offensive line was getting away with murder by frequently holding defensive players. Gilbride elicited a rather dramatic reaction from 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh when he used the same phrase to call attention to the San Francisco defensive line a few weeks ago.
The Steelers are allowing the fewest passing yards per game of any team in the league thus far. They’ve also been penalized seven times per game, more than all but seven teams in the league, and they have been called for defensive holding nine times. That’s the most of any team in the league and the Giants would obviously like to see them add to their lead in that category this Sunday.