Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Keenan Lewis is developing into a top-notch CB

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    What about Lewis makes you think he was ready earlier? He was an absolute mess as a rookie (fellow rookie CB Joe Burnett was better back then, and he's playing Canadian football now). In year 2, he showed some promise in camp and the first couple of preseason games, but then had a complete physical, mental, and emotional breakdown in Denver that showed that he still wasn't ready to be a regular contributor to the defense (but the team saw enough potential in him the he was worth keeping around, even if he wasn't contribute much at all on defense). In year 3, he progressed to the point that he was a solid 3rd corner for us. In year 4, he progressed to the point that he is a solid starter. I have no problem whatsoever with this career arc. Certainly better than throwing him into the fire prematurely and destroying his confidence because he is playing before he is ready.
    I think you misinterpreted my post. I wasn't saying that we should throw him to the wolves when he's not ready to play. I'm just saying that I wish he was ready to play at a high level earlier instead of the season before he becomes an UFA. I wish we could leverage that cheap rookie contract a bit more before having to shell out bigger bucks.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Keenan Lewis and Ryan Clark are both playing very well this season, turns out they make quite a good team...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

What about Lewis makes you think he was ready earlier? He was an absolute mess as a rookie (fellow rookie CB Joe Burnett was better back then, and he's playing Canadian football now). In year 2, he showed some promise in camp and the first couple of preseason games, but then had a complete physical, mental, and emotional breakdown in Denver that showed that he still wasn't ready to be a regular contributor to the defense (but the team saw enough potential in him the he was worth keeping around, even if he wasn't contribute much at all on defense). In year 3, he progressed to the point that he was a solid 3rd corner for us. In year 4, he progressed to the point that he is a solid starter. I have no problem whatsoever with this career arc. Certainly better than throwing him into the fire prematurely and destroying his confidence because he is playing before he is ready.
    I really wasn't even sold on him last year. I thought Cortez was gonna leapfrog him in the preseason and become the starter. Lewis totally got me by surprise this year. You could always tell he was a good athlete and he'd make an occasional play (usually in a preseason game), but I never thought he'd even deserve to be a #3. The only reason I thought we bothered to keep him around was his size.

I have a feeling that it was likely Lake that had an impact on him because he really came out of nowhere.

I still think Cortez is gonna be the best and I like where we are all of a sudden with all the DBs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Speaking of Burnett:

cornerback Joe Burnett, who leads the CFL with five interceptions...Burnett, who has scored touchdowns on a pair of pick-6 runbacks so far in 2012 — including a CFL season-high 108-yard return — is just 17 more return yards away from passing his head coach, Kavis Reed, for sixth place on the Eskimos single-season interception return yards list with 183.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

I read that Lewis is tied for the NFL lead for passes defended...15...

If a few of those could turn into INTs....

That being said, I'll take a PD over a completion every day of the week (and twice on Sunday!!)...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Keenan Lewis and Ryan Clark are both playing very well this season, turns out they make quite a good team...

Little known historical fact: the exploration team of Polamalu and Taylor died of dysentery along the Oregon Trail.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Little known historical fact: the exploration team of Polamalu and Taylor died of dysentery along the Oregon Trail.
    Interestingly, that Polamalu trek came to an abrupt halt when a wagon wheel broke. There were able to repair the wheel three times, but each time it broke again after a mile or two.

And their predecessors, Scott and Washington, were burned alive by the Donner party.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

18 NFL Stars Who Are Going to Get Paid in 2013

BY MARC LILLIBRIDGE (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON NOVEMBER 6, 2012

Keenan Lewis, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Lewis has bypassed Ike Taylor as the best cornerback on the Steelers' roster. And that maturation could not have happened at a better time.

Lewis will be a highly sought-after free agent in 2013. The Steelers will have a tough decision to make in determining who to franchise-tag: Lewis or Mike Wallace. Both will make big money on the open market, but setting career highs this season has added to Lewis' value.

Look for Lewis to stay a Steeler because general manager Kevin Colbert values his draft selections and paying the players that have been there from the start. But Lewis will command at least $8 million a year and could get more.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399370-18-nfl-stars-that-are-going-to-get-paid-in-2013/page/17[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    And their predecessors, Scott and Washington, were burned alive by the Donner party.
    Taste like chicken!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    18 NFL Stars Who Are Going to Get Paid in 2013

BY MARC LILLIBRIDGE (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON NOVEMBER 6, 2012

Keenan Lewis, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Lewis has bypassed Ike Taylor as the best cornerback on the Steelers' roster. And that maturation could not have happened at a better time.

Lewis will be a highly sought-after free agent in 2013. The Steelers will have a tough decision to make in determining who to franchise-tag: Lewis or Mike Wallace. Both will make big money on the open market, but setting career highs this season has added to Lewis' value.

Look for Lewis to stay a Steeler because general manager Kevin Colbert values his draft selections and paying the players that have been there from the start. But Lewis will command at least $8 million a year and could get more.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399370-18-nfl-stars-that-are-going-to-get-paid-in-2013/page/17[/URL]

Who do you give a new $8M contract to? Wallace? Lewis? There is probably only one available.

Greatest need with no Plan B is probably Lewis.